Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana for rehabilitation.

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by tdod, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Currently, success rates in rehabilitation clinics for narcotics and other hard drugs are dismally low.

Marijuana strikes me as being a potential panacea for rehabilitating patients from the physical addiction of many drugs. It is, essentially, not addictive, in that anyone with more willpower than a goat can easily overcome any physical withdrawal symptoms, if experienced.

Further, it seems that the marijuana high would greatly ameliorate even the most severe withdrawal symptoms from hard drugs.

In light of this, it seems that the inclusion of marijuana in the "war on drugs" is remarkably ironic, in that marijuana should be the general, not the primary target.

thoughts?

2. Here is an interesting report on this very thing.

Active Ingredient In Cannabis Eliminates Morphine Dependence In Rats

On a personal note, I don't think my wife and I could have made it through opiate detox without smoking. We did it the hard way without rehab while I was training for a new job in my new career that I had just graduated college for.

When I wasn't at work, we smoked about every hour (we only had money for regs so we had to smoke a lot) Hell even when we would find higher grade smoke, we still smoked the shit out of it.

After my own experience, I firmly believe it should be used

3. I was a heavy drinker, and hooked on crack. I'm currently on the "Marijuana Maintenance Program", I hardly drink at all and haven't touched crack in over 3 years. Is it good to be addicted to something? No. Am I glad its pot and not crack - FK yea! Is cannabis a good substitute for hard drugs - what do you think? I have an addictive personality. Without feeling uncomfortable in my own skin, sobriety, for me doesn't work. Even with prescription drugs. I have come to face the fact that I am an addict, and that I will be forever searching for a mind altering substance to feel "normal". After much experimenting, and trial and error, I have come to discover that cannabis is the least harmful, expensive, and detrimental drug to my life. I can get up in the morning and go to work. I can support my family. I can go to bed at night. I can live my life with out crawling the carpets, or peeking under the door. To me it seems like a no brainer:smoking:

4. Before cannabis prohibition, cannabis was used as a way to get opiate and alcohol addicts off of their drug. You may find these interesting reading (And congrats for getting off the "hard stuff"! :yay: )

Crack heads and roots daughters: The therapeutic use of cannabis in Jamaica (cocaine)
    Clinical Studies and Case Reports

Role of cannabinoid receptors in alcohol abuse
    Role of cannabinoid receptors in alcohol abuse, study

Cannabidiol, Antioxidants, and Diuretics in Reversing Binge Ethanol-Induced Neurotoxicity
    Comparison of Cannabidiol, Antioxidants, and Diuretics in Reversing Binge Ethanol-Induced Neurotoxicity -- Hamelink et al. 314 (2): 780 -- Journal of Pharmacology And Experimental Therapeutics

Cannabis substitution (alcohol)
    Clinical Studies and Case Reports

Cannabis as a Substitute for Alcohol
    CCRMG

Intermittent marijuana use is associated with improved retention in naltrexone treatment for opiate-dependence.
    Unbound MEDLINE | Intermittent marijuana use is associated with improved retention in naltrexone treatment for opiate-dependence. Journal article

Effects of the cannabinoid CB1 receptor antagonist AM 251 on the reinstatement of nicotine-conditioned place preference by drug priming in rats.
    Unbound MEDLINE | Effects of the cannabinoid CB1 receptor antagonist AM 251 on the reinstatement of nicotine-conditioned place preference by drug priming in rats. Journal article

Granny :wave: