Marijuana for Depression

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by MysticalDimples, Nov 9, 2017.

1. I found online that medicinal marijuana can help treat depression, have anyone tried it? A friend of mine has been diagnosed with depression just recently and she wants to try medicinal cannabis as part of her treatment.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Some research tells that cannabis may improve a person's condition. But, it does not work for everyone. So, you must be cautious about using it. I mean, I would advice that you get some professional help first to find a better treatment for your depression.

3. I suffer from anxiety and depression. I just recently had a realllllly bad day two days ago. Depression was pretty bad. After leaving work, I immediately went home and smoked a strain that I know works well for me. One bong rip and I INSTANTLY felt a mood lifter. I used to have to take Xanax and Klonopin, etc. Not anymore. I would recommend! But again, people react differently to different strains and just weed in general. Couldn't hurt to give it a try! It's not like you have to worry about the same side effects that prescription medications have. :)

• Like Like x 3
  4. #4 MysticalDimples, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2017
    I believe she already is receiving professional treatment, we had a talk one time and she did mention that she get help online she said " I need to vent out what I feel and I need somebody that will listen" so I'm pretty sure that she has that kind of thing.

5. Was the medical cannabis that you took prescribed or not? any other side effects that I should know?

6. It is more of a temporary mood stabalizer. To solve your depression you must make and complete goals in your life that bring you closer to happiness.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. As far as I know, doctors here in the US can't prescribe cannabis. They can only make a recommendation that it may be helpful in treatment.
    Getting the right strains can only be done through finding the right supplier.

Dispensaries in legal states or dealers in non legal states will vary widely as far as available meds.
    Good luck.

8. #9 Rafaela Filippi, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2017
    Well, that's good! An online counseling can be better for your friend.

9. success and happiness are acquired feelings and achieved results.. open self expression of true desire relieves depression... your inner truth if you will...

10. Doctors in the US can't technically "prescribe" cannabis, but they provide a medical recommendation that states they believe medical marijuana will be of benefit to you..etc. That's basically how it works. Then the recommendation is submitted to the state and the state gives me a card. All the cannabis I buy is medical grade so I haven't had any issues. No side effects. No issues with it to this day. And the performance of the cannabis verses Xanax when I am having panic or depression is WAYY better in my opinion. The relief I get from cannabis is instantaneous. MMJ has done amazing things for me and I would never go back to taking Xanax etc. Even my family has mentioned they have noticed that I am acting more like myself and I am smiling more. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Doctors in the US can't technically "prescribe" cannabis, but they provide a medical recommendation that states they believe medical marijuana will be of benefit to you..etc. That's basically how it works. Then the recommendation is submitted to the state and the state gives me a card. All the cannabis I buy is medical grade so I haven't had any issues. No side effects. No issues with it to this day. And the performance of the cannabis verses Xanax when I am having panic or depression is WAYY better in my opinion. The relief I get from cannabis is instantaneous. MMJ has done amazing things for me and I would never go back to taking Xanax etc. Even my family has mentioned they have noticed that I am acting more like myself and I am smiling more. :)

12. #13 Black-Syth, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    This is an experiment, try to remember. Different treatments work for different people.

First, a short backstory. Some of the details are a tad blurry. Depending on the time period in my life and the therapist at the time, I've been diagnosed with PTSD, both Bipolar I & II and BPD. Not all at once, but by individual doctors with individual interpretations relative to my condition. While some individuals have relatively defined symptoms mine seem to encompass a little of each. Here is what I know: Regardless of external stimuli I have massive parabola type swings in my mood throughout the course of the day. From being hyperactive and excited, almost like a child, to being cripplingly depressed. This happens over and over, all the time. Some days are worse, some are better. From the time I was about 13-14 to my early 20s I was prescribed various cocktails. Usually an SSRI with an anti-psychotic. I got pretty fat.

After I got off parole, after a few years of drinking myself to death I tried management with marijuana as opposed to viewing it as recreation. My mood swings aren't as extreme and I don't hallucinate as much. I'm in great shape, I'm motivated, I'm not agoraphobic(which was a side effect of what I was prescribed), I function well at work. My appetite is healthy but not overly so. My mood swings are always there, they're just more manageable with marijuana. It also offered me the chance to work on myself due to the increased focus. I think a big part of it is also that I grew up a lot since I've started the management. It works really well for me. It also kills two birds with one stone because I have chronic pain. Give it a shot and if it works, great. If not, try to be vigilant because for some people this treatment may have the opposite effect and intensify the depression.

13. look into the cannabimimetics to increase potency of your cannabis too... if a particular variety may not be as effective add in for example whole black peppercorn with your cannabis
    Beta-caryophyllene is a dietary cannabinoid Beta-caryophyllene is a dietary cannabinoid
    cannabimimetic phytochemicals in the diet – an evolutionary link to food selection and metabolic stress adaptation? Cannabimimetic phytochemicals in the diet – an evolutionary link to food selection and metabolic stress adaptation?

14. Negative, I will go to my doctor who prescribed me cannabis for my depression/anxiety because it is something I have used for quite some time and know it greatly helps me without changing me as a person

15. Well, medical marijuana or cannabis really works as a medicine for getting from depression. But, it does not work for everyone. So, before using it for treatment one should consult the doctor. And, hope your friend will get recovery from her depression soon.

16. Well! its true that medical marijuana is helpful in releasing depression. To know the how mmj or cannabis is helpful in treating depression, you need to read this article : Medical Marijuana and Depression

17. It can get me up and walking around and eating again when my depression gets so bad that I can’t really function. It’s best for stopping panic attacks, for me at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Chimera Seeds' C4 is a well balance indica/sativa hybrid between Frostbite and Shiskaberry cannabis strains which has great medical values and is used as a part of a treatment against depression.