Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana For Depression And Anxiety

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Kush Zombie MEX, Nov 14, 2012.

1. I want to get to that point, but it's not legal in our state, and not always easy to get ahold of. I have been through some very, very rough times the last 2 years (lost my only son) and sometimes I can get so low I'm afraid if I didn't have it I'd jump off the deep end. Working towards that though. Thanks for sharing, it's an encouragement!

2. If it weren't for Cannabis i should have would not be standing here,, well sitting. But still, helps keep my mood calm, if am am having a panic attack give me a little hit and im good, give me a bowl to myself and i am pure fine gold.
    I work better, fast, harder, i can concentrate..
    My depression gets worse sometimes, but thats normal everday, i can go happy to homicidal rage in a matter of you looking at me funny, i flip off on people everyday if i go outside, which is rare, but if i go to the store, i flip off in my head, usually its not that bad.
    Cannabis really helps, and it sucks that i can't get my hands on it, unless i have the money, but its impossible to get a job where i can get the money to do it because, would you hire someone who can be perfectly fine starting a shift but end up in the middle have a panic attack and possibly hurt someone?

• Like Like x 1

3. I'm sorry for your loss! BUT you will get there! It's your mindset, it isn't legal here either unfortunately but i know exactly what im medicating with and know how to suit my mood. I promise you, you will get there! Wether it takes weeks, months, years, you WILL overcome it! I've had some hardships in my life and i have tried to commit before, but i thank god i'm still alive and happy and medicating :D:smoke:
    Good luck!

• Like Like x 1

I am so very sorry for your loss. You are living my biggest fear in the entire world. The fact that you are able to get out of bed and even turn on the computer shows how strong you are. No words can soothe the ache you must be feeling in your heart, and although you are a complete stranger my heart is broken for you. :'(  

As far as using MJ for depression goes. I have battled with depression since I started puberty. My parents (grandparents who were my legal guardians) think that any "new age medicine" is all "mumbo jumbo" and everyone who takes them feels better due to the placebo effect. A mix of my depression and social anxiety lead me to use weed and alcohol to self medicate starting in high school. I was caught a few times but my parents had no leverage over me because I knew that when we lived in Hawaii they were not only growers of pot, but sellers too. Soo i smoked daily until I met my husband who was against it (back then). From 2005 - about 4 months ago I was no longer using MJ to treat my depression. I was drinking ery heavily which put a strain on my marriage. Then in Nov. 2010 I found out i was pregnant. The entire time i was pregnant i didnt take any meds or alcohol (obviously) and I had NO depression, probably due to an influx of hormones, I didnt have any depression the entire time I was breastfeeding either. But as soon as I stopped breastfeeding it came back STRONG. My hubby heard MJ could help and decided to have me try it out. It has been working so far, but only if I use ti EVERYDAY. I do not live in a legal state so I cant ask a DR about it. Does this seem normal as far as needing/using MJ for depression goes??? Is everyday too much or normal?? Please let me know your take on this!! Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  5. I have depression and anxiety too. My doctor gave me prozac and xanax but I smoke instead cuz it helps better then to remember to take pills on a every day base, so I would say yes it's ok too use it for depression and anxiety

6. I have never been officially diagnosed with depression or anxiety attacks but from what I have heard and read on the topics I feel I may suffer from it, although on the lower end of the spectrum. Sometimes getting out of bed is only made possible from the mere fact my body physical won't sleep anymore and I am forced to leave it to just sit on the couch and be just fucking devastated in a deep sense of nothingness, crying spells, anxiety attacks(you know when you chest gets tight and it feels like you can't breath for a second); happens at least 3 or 4 times a week. I was wondering what strain of MJ would be best to get through these bouts and maybe start living my life instead of being in a vicious cycle of self loathing.

7. I'm so happy that I came across this thread! I have severe anxiety/panic attacks, mostly as a result from PTSD (unfortunate, but you live with it). 

I tried several medications including Effexor, Paxil, and Ativan. To be honest, they helped the anxiety (to varying degrees) but the side effects were usually so awful that I would eventually stop the pills for one reason or another.

Smoking has honestly been one of the best decisions I ever made. Not only does it keep my anxiety in check, better than ever before, there are virtually no side effects--except those damn munchies! It has even helped my sleep patterns and helps me concentrate in class. Ever since I came across smoking as a solution, I have smoked everyday.

• Like Like x 1
  8. This is some great information from Storm Crow, as always.

• Like Like x 1
  9. #149 FreedomFighter420, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2014
    I use cannabis to treat my major depression, social anxiety, stress, and insomnia. Also helps with muscle pain  :bongin:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Do any of you treat your depression with MJ on an "as needed" basis?  Example:  On good days you just don't smoke, but on days that you start feeling really down you smoke?  

I do this but sometimes find myself knowing, "OK, I'm about to get really down, I'd better smoke" but then I put it off and put it off, to the point that I end up having a meltdown or I just slip into a really deep depression? Then when I finally smoke, I'm kicking myself in the ass cause if I had just smoked earlier I wouldn't have said some really rotten things, or wasted hours so DOWN that I could barely function.

Anybody else feel like you can't regulate well?

• Like Like x 1
    Yes! On days when I'm in a funk, I often decide to smoke a bit earlier (B4 420), but then delay. When I get around to taking a few hits, the relief is almost instantaneous and "I'm kicking myself in the ass cause if I had just smoked earlier I wouldn't have said some really rotten things, or wasted hours so DOWN that I could barely function."

• Like Like x 1
  12. Me as well. Been struggling with depression for 4 years and I was prescribed happy pills for it, which I became addicted to. Weed can help treat your depression but not if that's all your doing for it. Go outside, get some sun, stay active and eat right. Peace

• Like Like x 2
    Guilty of NOT doing those things enough.  You are so right, especially eating better.  On days I stay away from carbs and sugar, I'm lively, awake, energetic...though a little grouchy cause I crave those things.  

I was on depression pills for a loooong time, and it was hell getting off of them.  I just feel like I need to figure out how to medicate with weed preventively, before I fall into the abyss.  I need to read back in this thread because I know some people have been able to achieve that.

14. Bro I still can't get off them, I'm going to stop cold Turkey next week when I'm home and just medicate through the withdrawals. But ya I started eating right and I love biking so I bike on average like 10-20 miles a day and it's been magical for my mood.

Anyone can escape from that place; for some people it takes time, for others it takes a shift in lifestyle :p how did u end up quitting the pills? any advice? I'm nervous as hell, when I got on them I was too desperate and ignorant to understand the consequences and my body has been paying the price

Well, I'd say there was maybe only a week that I felt physical withdrawls, and out of those maybe only 2 or 3 days that were REALLY hard.  I wasn't really smoking much during that time, so I think it would have been better if I'd just stayed high through it.  Hardest part was getting to sleep each night...just felt like I couldn't get a deep breath, mind was racing, really fidgity.  Getting up and just walking or keeping busy helped, so I think your biking will really help a lot.  

Hope I'm not scaring you.  I did it cold turkey too, I know doctors say to go off slowly.  Maybe they're right, like could you cut back to half, then maybe a quarter, then stop?  

I did use an herbal supplement, called "Happy Camper" for a while too.  I know a lot of people say natural remedies don't work, but it did seem to help a little.  Maybe it was psychological.  

Just don't give up.  You'll have a few hard days but then you'll be able to tell you're coming down and it gets easier quickly.  

• Like Like x 1
  16. @[member="LegalizeIt11"]   I know this is an old post..  I am new to the forum...  Was wondering how you are making out with your investigation...  I also suffer from bi-polar depression and have tried using marijuana for treatment with some positive and negative results..  also live in a cannabis un-friendly state..  so knowing what your getting is not easy...  From all the reading and research I can find I now understand the 2 strain differences..  Thing is my wish would be to get to Colorado or No. Cal to actually go to a dispensary and be able to select different strain/thc/cbd varieties...  kind of like a person finding a wine they prefer...  know of anyone having tried this..?

17. Hi I'm 16 years old and I recently started having these persistant anxiety attacks and I've smoked a few times illegally in the past and I was caught by my mother who flipped like I was smoking crack but now I have these anxiety attacks and now I honestly feel I need it but I don't wanna take theses pills I would rather smoke knowing it would never harm me or zombify my plz someone help

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

Quitting pharmaceuticals motivated me to start using cannabis, exercising and eating well. tapered off paxil, adderall and opiates, one by one, over a five year period. I hardly felt any withdrawal because I quit gradually, used cannabis and exercised regularly.

19. I hear ya!! I know a guy that came down from prescribed anti-depressants and he set his house on fire!

Anyway, weed makes me happy. Just having some, and knowing that i'm gonna smoke it can get me through an 8 hour day at work. When I am high, I am happy. Somebody could call me a dick, and instead of retaliating (like i do when i'm sober), I apologise. I am at peace, and the quality of my life improves 100%. Not to mention it helps keep my blood glucose levels in check (i'm diabetic).

• Like Like x 2
  20. #160 beaniegrl420, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2014
    Ive mentioned in other threads that targeted application is AMAZING for depression. I smoke all day long, maybe it's Omega 3s, maybe it's a naturally low endocannabinoid count ...maybe it's cuz I'm a fire sign ex smoker who just loves to smoke (yes, that's it) but, during those immutable funks, when, due to recreational habits, smoking just isn't enough, or isn't working in the best way, I've found that sativa pills are the BEST for prolonged anti-depression. There's one strain (that I of course can't find anymore) that is the most PERFECT cure ever. Within fifteen minutes, Im positive, Im problem solving; it's literally impossible for me to be depressed. Mind you, this isn't to be high, just medicinal dosages (for me 7-12 mgs, where as fun time is like 10-25)

One of the hardest things about depression is the cycle. Don't wait, don't let it take hold and make a mold in your brain, stop it before it can imprint/rewire -that's the best way to make sure that you are actively fighting the maps in your brain that can lead to using depression as a coping mechanism. Only medicating when needed is HUGELY beneficial! The worst part of the Big Pharma pills is that they take away your right to feel, so that they can permanently suppress your depression. Being able to live, and medicate as needed is just one of the great attributes of using mmj. Some people may need it daily (I do) but even then, it can and should be tailored to suit your daily needs.

Find the terpenes that work for you best, and then find them in a CBD rich form too. When you have a nervous or mental disorder (just a bunch of nerves) you really need a neuroprotectant! CBD comes in sativa, indica and hybrid, so find what's right for you!

• Like Like x 1