Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana For Depression And Anxiety

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Kush Zombie MEX, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Yeah, actually Cannabis boosts Dopamine, which lessens Depression symptoms. xD The Marinol has taken away suicidal thoughts when I was feeling suicidal in the past. I'm sure the real thing would work even better!

2. I started to treat my depression with Cannabis about a year ago and overall it helps me stay more positive. I still have rare extreme lows, but I mean RARE. The Cannabis also helps my sleep schedule, which had been a cause for depression as well.

3. would you recommend vaporizing or making edibles for the most benefit of cannabis?

4. Honestly, to get the most of cannabis, you shouldn't even decarboxylate it. By taking raw cannabis (buds, popcorn, trim, even fan leaves), you can make a great tincture out of everclear (191 proof alcohol) or vegetable glycerin, and take MUCH more amounts than you could if heated, because it is not psychoactive. This will give you all the benefits of the cannabinoids without the restriction of the "high". Similarly, RSO (Rick Simpson's Oil) uses this method to concentrate high amounts of cannabinoids in the system to cure cancer, and other ailments that plague people everywhere. While RSO is very costly in amount of cannabis, tinctures like Green Dragons (alcohol extractions) and glycerin tinctures are not, and can be greatly beneficial when alleviating the symptoms of conditions such as depression, and many others.

However, many people (such as myself) enjoy the spiritual connection with the body, mind, and world when experiencing the psychoactive effects of marijuana, which also helps with depression and anxiety by changing the train of thought, and giving you a better perspective on life.

I'd recommend taking daily Omega supplements also, which will greatly improve the number of cannabinoid receptors in the brain, which will help depression on its own, but combined with marijuana will significantly reduce your symptoms, if not completely abolish them.

5. Heated/Unheated extracts change the medicinal qualities. You need to research or experiment which is better for your condition.

It's not one size fits all.

6. sounds good.. i will try the unheated glycerin extract since i don't consume alcohol. i know edibles works best for me but can't take too much since it is very psychoactive.

for the glycerin extract you just basically soak raw bud/shake in vegetable glycerin for a really long time? sounds very simple and convenient

7. Exactly, it is very simple, and convenient. The only hitch is the time, but after a solid 5 weeks it will be great. Some recipes call for heat, which I wouldn't recommend, as it can degrade potency very easily in glycerin tinctures. Just keep it in a dark place, maybe wrap it up with something to protect it from light, and shake it up every day once or twice (more if you want) per day.

8. #108 CHR0N1C, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2013
    thanks so much for the help. cant wait to try the tincture.. also would you recommend the everclear or vegetable glycerin?

9. Rick Simpson has cured over 5000 people and has not seen 1 condition his oil could not cure or treat excellently. He would completely disagree with not decarboxylating, and so would i. Decarboxylating is very important because it allows your body to actually make use of the medicine. Another thing people need to understand is that when the cannabis or hemp plant grows it detoxifies the soil it grows in leaving healthy soil.

Cannabinoids are always 100% pure and never contain any toxins. On the other hand, the leaves and other parts of the plant CAN contain left over toxins. THIS is the reason why making the pure oil is much safer and more medicinal than using the other parts of the plant. I don't know everything but what i do know is that Rick Simpson's oil WORKS.

There are so many people who have cured themselves of cancer and tons of other serious health issues using the oil. I highly doubt oil or buds that are not decarboxylated could have anywhere near as much of an effect in curing cancer and other serious health issues, as Rick Simpson's does.

check this playlist for tons of videos- EATING CANNABIS OIL CURES CANCER AND MOST HEALTH PROBLEMS - YouTube

10. ...........:wave:

11. #111 CHR0N1C, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2013
    for a cold extraction, would i have to strain the bud after its been sitting for a long time? or can i just leave the bud in there (so it gets more potent)

12. #112 GroBox, Jan 31, 2013
    Personally, I leave the bud in, because it will get more potent (in my opinion), and it's very easy to decant, as it settles to the bottom fairly fast. Tinctures are all up to preference really, glycerin will taste better, and be more medicinal, whereas everclear will actually become more psychoactive even with marijuana that has not been decarbed.

Decarboxylating the marijuana just makes the THC psychoactive, it doesn't effect the other cannabinoids. In fact, THC is not the cannabinoid responsible for curing cancer, that would be CBD. By NOT decarboxylating it, you restrict the psychoactivity of the plant, and get more of the medicinal effects without the extreme high, because you can take MUCH more of it.

13. lol you can believe what you want dude but you better check your facts because your statement is very wrong. THC IS responsible for killing cancer, as well as CBD. They both do are capable of different things and THC is not the only molecule that needs to be decarboxylated. CBD does too.

ANTINEOPLASTIC ACTIVITY OF CANNABINOIDS.

Journal of the National Cancer Institute, Vol. 55, No. 3, September 1975
    Abstract

Lewis lung adenocarcinoma growth was retarded by the oral administration of delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol (delta9-THC), delta8-tetrahydrocannabinol (delta8-THC), and cannabinol (CBN), but not cannabidiol (CBD).
    Animals treated for 10 consecutive days with delta9-THC, beginning the day after tumor implantation, demonstrated a dose-dependent action of retarded tumor growth. Mice treated for 20 consecutive days with delta8-THC and CBN had reduced primary tumor size. CBD showed no inhibitory effect on tumor growth at 14, 21, or 28 days. Delta9-THC, delta8-THC, and CBN increased the mean survival time (36% at 100 mg/kg, 25% at 200 mg/kg, and 27% at 50 mg/kg, respectively), whereas CBD did not. Delta9-THC administered orally daily until death in doses of 50, 100, or 200 mg/kg did not increase the life-spans of (C57BL/6 times DBA/2)F1 (BDF1) mice hosting the L1210 murine leukemia. However, delta9-THC administered daily for 10 days significantly inhibited Friend leukemia virus-induced splenomegaly by 71% at 200 mg/kg as compared to 90.2% for actinomycin D. Experiments with bone marrow and isolated Lewis lung cells incubated in vitro with delta9-THC and delta8-THC showed a dose-dependent (10(-4)-10(-7)) inhibition (80-20%, respectively) of tritiated thymidine and 14C-uridine uptake into these cells. CBD was active only in high concentrations (10(-4)).
    PMID: 1159836

14. #114 GroBox, Jan 31, 2013
    I know people will not take my word for it, so let me add just a couple links about depression and cannabis. These can be found in Granny's List, among MANY others, explaining how it works, and why it works.

Antidepressant-like effects of cannabidiol in mice: possible involvement of 5-HT1A receptors

JCI - Cannabinoids promote embryonic and adult hippocampus neurogenesis and produce anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects

New Antidepressant Drug Increases 'Brain's Own Cannabis'

Good News For The Medical Marijuana Movement: Pot Proliferates Brain Cells And Boosts Mood

A possible role for the endocannabinoid system in the neurobiology of depression

Now these are just a few among many, and some are hard to understand, so let me sum it up for you. Depression has much to do with the endocannabinoid system (chemicals produced by our bodies), and also to do with degeneration of the hippocampus in our brain, which is part of the limbic (emotional) system. Much research still needs to be done, however, it is proven that cannabis produces neurogenesis (growth) of the cells in the brain, including the hippocampus, which would produce anti-depressive like behaviors. Not only this, but CBD has been shown to produce anti-depressive behaviors due to the fact that it acts as an agonist to the 5-HT1A receptor, which directly relates to seratonin levels.

I am no scientist, and do not know everything on the subject, but I am giving you the opportunity to look through, and learn from these links (the most important of which is in my signature) so you can make your own informed decision. What I do know is that depression is not just effected by the psychoactive cannabinoid THC, but many other cannabinoids, most of which we are still unsure about. THC may be involved, but it is mostly the psychotic effect that it is sought out for, which is not your case. You want the anti-depressive effects of marijuana, without the intense "high" all the time, if I am correct, and I do believe that this would be achieved with the regulation of the endocannabinoid system of your body, which can be greatly supplemented by the phytocannabinoids in marijuana, which have nothing to do with the decarboxylation of THC.

Edit: As for the above post, I'm sure there is truth to that, but a renowned member of GrassCity, and the medical marijuana community, BadKittySmiles, has boasted the benefits of undecarboxylated cannabis and it's medicinal effects, and I will stick to her advice, as it has never failed me before.

15. Yeah that is all true and i agree. I was not talking about depression, but i understand that THC does not always effect the patient well mentally. I also understand that non-decarboxylated cannabinoids are very beneficial and heal well, but what is still unclear to me is: can they heal AS WELL as Rick Simpson's Decarboxylated oil?

Basically my question is, will it be able to cure a person with terminal cancer and take them off their death bed? We know for a fact now that Rick Simpson's oil is a cure 100% for many serious conditions like cancer, and that is why i stand strong next to it.

I understand very much the negative mental potential THC can have, but this is why i always talk about CBD. If a person is to have a good or high amount of CBD in their oil, it has the potential to remove and negative effects from the THC, while still gaining all the benefits. But even still, to me, i see saving a life as much more important than risking temporary mental effects. If a patient does become disturbed by the THC, well at least their life has been saved, and CBD can easily correct mental issues. It has already been shown to cure schizophrenia and much more.

16. #116 GroBox, Jan 31, 2013
    Just a couple links of BKS's that I think could help with the understanding of undecarboxylated cannabis, she is much more eloquent (not to mention educated) than I, so I think we'd all do good to instead listen to her example, rather than mine -

Undecarboxylated info-
    http://forum.grasscity.com/incredib...h-candy-canna-bombs-more-35.html#post12758612

Terpene info-
    http://forum.grasscity.com/incredib...h-candy-canna-bombs-more-26.html#post11878573

Edit: Green, I'm just trying to help Chronic with his questions on how to use marijuana for depression without getting high. He enjoys the feeling, but does not want it all the time, and does not always appreciate how intense it can be. This is why I recommended undecarboxylated cannabis.

17. It's cool i don't mean to knock what you are saying, i'm sure it will work perfectly for depression & anxiety. I forgot this thread was even about depression, i apologize. It just is a concern to me because i see a lot of misinformation such as people saying vaporizing is more medicinal that ingesting, and things like that. I am just trying to save lives and spread the word and for now unless i am wrong, i think Rick Simpson's oil is the best treatment for serious conditions. I Don't want people to die over misinformation who come across these threads.

18. And yes, RSO is very good, but BKS has pointed out that his oil is not very bioavailable, and a lot of it passes right through your system (hence the extreme concentration of it). She goes on to say how to counter this problem with different oils and processes to further bioavailability. That being said, I think Rick Simpson is very educated, and has helped many people, but there's still so much left that we do not know, and his method is certainly NOT the best that we could be using. But this is partially due to the fact that we have just scratched the surface when it comes to this plant, and what it can do for us, and how it does those things.

19. actually this isnt my thread and i dont have depression but i do have digestion and other health problems and some anxiety

20. #120 CHR0N1C, Jan 31, 2013
    at the moment i have grinded up bud in a small glass jar and covered it with 100% vegetable glycerin. i will give it a rigorous shake daily and let it sit for a really long time. i will probably not strain it but just leave it until all the glycerin is used up. since this process will take a couple months i plan on trying it with alcohol. only concern with alcohol is how i am going to cook off the alcohol safely. is it possible to just use a stainless steel saucepan and cook it on low heat and let it simmer with the fan on high? also why does rick simpson add few drops of water towards end of cooking?