Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana For Depression And Anxiety

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Kush Zombie MEX, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Then direct your misplaced frustration at those pharmaceutical companies. You're wasting your energy trying to convince those with depression that they don't have a disorder, whether its true or not. Encouraging people to change their lifestyle for the better is never a bad idea, but doing it at the expense of their self-esteem by trying to convince them of something that you also have no concrete proof of, is. Yeah, there are people that have been screwed up by taking pills they don't need, but there are plenty who HAVE been helped by pills.

You may have been down this road, maybe not. You're right, I don't know you in that sense. I do know that you haven't changed my opinion, nor have I changed yours. I also know that this thread isn't the place for this debate. Most of us have come to this thread for help with the topic it was created for. My point is, your arguments have no place here and are of no help.

2. I think this thread is about marijuana for depression and anxiety, and that's what I'm backing. It's helped for me, it's helped for countless others, and all without the need for pharmaceuticals that have adverse side effects, often times much worse than the depression itself.

So, whatever your misunderstood views on my post are, let me sum it up for you - marijuana can give you that boost needed to get out of the rut that depression puts you in, and do something fulfilling with your life. I read a quote somewhere "Happiness is not a destination, it's the feeling you get you pursue and accomplish worthwhile goals". So smoke a bowl, load a vape, bake some brownies, do whatever you need to change your perspective on life, and go live it. Accomplish some worthwhile goals.

3. Its clear you misunderstood my posts as well. I wasn't debating marijuana's place in relieving or alleviating the effects of depression. What I disliked about your posts was your insistance that depression isn't a true or real disorder. THAT is what this thread needs less of.

4. I meant that in more of a sense that because you're depressed, it does not mean there's something wrong with you. Our brains are all built differently, react differently, and feel differently. Because clinically depressed people are different than the majority of the population, doctors feel the need to correct this by adding pills into the diet. Which is not how human behavior needs to be corrected. Pills are a temporary fix, that we're using as a permanent one. The permanent fix needs to be a change of lifestyle, not an addition of pharmaceuticals.

And, like we all know, marijuana is a much safer temporary fix, without the added dependence, side effects, and adverse reactions. It helps us with the day to day, while we find a way out of the meager situations we often find ourselves in.

5. My trick for this is to just have bud at all times

6. I used it for parranoia and mild depression, but keep in mind it was an experiment that at the time was illegal and not doctor reccomended especially if u have parranoya! So a lot of trial and error but ist helped me get over depression compleatly! For depression i usually smoke in tha morning and drink coffe.. as for parranoya i would just do small tokes all day till i found my happy medium!
    Hope this helps :wave:

7. You're right in the sense that pills are a temporary fix, but so is marijuana. True, people need to fix the problems they have and not put a band-aid on it. However, if someone that is suffering from a chemical imbalance that is fixed by pills, they shouldn't be convinced they don't need them.

I used to wear braces as a teenager. Once they were removed, I wore a retainer. After wearing braces on my teeth for two years and a retainer for one year, my orthodontist told me I'd have to wear that retainer every night for the rest of my life, or my teeth will go back to where they were before the braces. I stopped wearing my retainer three months ago, and guess what, my teeth shifted back. The retainer is the band-aid that helps keep my teeth straight. I fix my permanent problem with a band-aid.

How is treating clinical depression by finding pills that WORK, any different? Some people have the same fear of marijuana that you do with antidepressants. Yeah, we should educate them about marijuana's natural and safer alternative, but if someone is taking pills and getting the needed benefit, they shouldn't be made to feel stupid for making that choice.

8. What happens when those pills get taken away? We need to learn how to accept the body (and brain) that we are given, whether it's imbalanced or not. It's not easy, but it's life, it wasn't meant to be.

9. Accepting what we are given and seeking treatment are not as unrelated as you may think. You've stumled upon a solution or undertanding that has worked for you, and that's great. The rest of us deserve the same chance. To search for something that works and find understanding. You've shared your opinion, but that doesn't mean it has to be accepted, neither does mine. All I'm trying to help you understand is that we all are allowed a choice. We can offer all the opinions, facts, evidence, experiences we want; but ultimately everyone has the right to choose and have their choice respected. You choose not to use pills, and that's fine. Others choose to use them, and that's fine, too.

The pills exist for the time being, so people should feel free to seek them out as an alternative, if that is what they choose. If, for whatever reason, the pills are taken away at some point, the person will either learn to cope, or they won't. But telling people they should stay away from antidepressants just beause some people have had negative reactions is no better than telling someone that they shouldn't smoke weed because they've seen someone have a weed related panic attack.

Offer help where you can, but don't try limit someone's options just because you don't like the choice.

10. Although I do believe some people have a chemical imbalance, I think there's a lot of truth in this. I mean, humans were originally living in tribes, in groups, living by the seasons, the weather, and whatever was going on in your own little world. We lived more like animals, just concerned with not starving through the winter, keeping warm in the cold and cool in the heat. Highlights were festivals, hunts, religious ceremonies, births and deaths. Some cultures farmed/gardened. Even as far as living in villages, you basically worked/lived on your farm, or provided services from your home (blacksmith, carpenter, etc.)

Then along comes factories, cars/railroads (to take you away from home to work) advertising (creating false desire for material items) news from afar and the worries about that, more pressure, more need for money, living by the year, month, day, hour, minute, second.....too much info, too much noise, pollution, crime,.....

I just think a lot of this was never meant to be dealt with given the human ability we were born with. Like, yeah, we can do all these amazing things (internet, cell phones, Skype, fly in a plane) but it eats away at our well being to a certain extent. Am I making sense? Like think about it...why WOULDN'T driving around in a little "box", stuck in traffic with thousands of other little people in little boxes moving about, all that exhaust we're breathing...time constraints, pressures...why wouldn't we all have a shitload of anxiety???

11. That's really all I was trying to say. I'm not trying to aggravate anyone's symptoms with pointless argument, so I stopped responding, but thanks for helping me clarify. There are too many unfulfilled expectations in today's society, whereas in older cultures, surviving another day was a gift, not an expectation. Nowadays we are taught that the world is perfect, fair, and just, and when we are wronged we take it very personally. Not to mention the general intoxication our world has gone through, loss of natural freedoms, restriction of space, overpopulation that chokes us like weeds choke flowers, violence and war that we are burdened with every day. The weight of the world is literally being put upon our shoulders, and then we wonder why we are not happy.

Call it a chemical imbalance if you like, but perhaps we should take a look at why these chemicals are imbalanced in the first place. Emotions are just chemicals in the first place, so maybe it's not your brain that is malfunctioning, maybe it's your surroundings.

Besides that, I am a strong believer in natural selection - if you are born disadvantaged, you must learn to live with that, or turn it into an advantage, or fail by your body's chemistry. It's not easy, and it has not been for me either, but that is the way of the world; we all want to change the world, but the reality is we can only change our world. We all have the strength, and intelligence to survive, we just need to muster it.

12. Yeah and not to mention that back when we lived in tribes, on foot or with horses, can you imagine how much cleaner all the food, water, and air was? Now we've got GMO foods, most everything is sprayed with pesticide (which is made to affect the bugs nervous system and kill them...HELLO!?) and we're breathing all kinds of toxins. We don't know how we are affected by it all. And guess what? We will probably never find OUT how badly we are affected by it all, because as long as some people are making a shitload of money, they're gonna fight anyone EVER KNOWING how we are affected by their products.

Now I am depressed...LOL...

13. not to mention exercise. There was no TV, no video games. you walked around 24/7. theres was no obesity, only the rich and honored who could afford to eat and be lazy

14. Thank God we live in these times!

15. anyone seeking info on the effects and reliefs of certain strains go to Leafly.com or download the application on your smart phone / device. Very neat and useful and im not even in a MMJ state.. so imagine what a utility it would be for all u lucky bastards that have mmj cards c;

16. Hey blades. I just wanted to add my story to this thread:

1 year ago, I was an emotional wreck on a very fine balancing point. I was diagnosed with depression and generalized anxiety disorder. I was put on numerous pills over the next few months, none of which worked, until Effexor... which worked for a very short period of time and then started fucking me up. I needed to get off of it. I had horrible withdrawals even though i tapered off at a very slow rate. I still have withdrawals to this day, 4 months later. My anxiety got to the point where i was having unbearable anxiety attacks daily where i would get extremely violent, lose control of my body and eventually black out. My depression got so bad that I was seriously contemplating suicide. Then I tried weed. I had done it before, recreationally and i thought that i should try it, cause I was desperate and would have tried anything. I'm so glad i found it cause within 2 weeks I went into remission. I vape every day for anxiety, now just once a day, and my life has changed. I was able to start a proper ultra-clean healthy diet, start excercisng, I lost 50 pounds and I am now in great shape. I am finally on the right track in life and no longer feel the desire to end it. Cannabis saved my life.

17. I suffer from PTSD depression and anxiety. As well as spinal arthritis. Marijuana greatly helps these conditions but it must be the right strain.

I played around quite a bit and this is what works for me:

Morning: Harlequin. This strain is very low THC very high CBD. 75% Sativa 25% Indica. This is a great way to start the day pain-free. The low THC count (7%) enables one to get the painkilling relief and a happy feeling but not totally stoned.

Day: Strawberry Cough. Just cannot rave enough about this strain. Also 75% sativa. This is definitely the happiest weed I have ever smoked. Best day strain I have tried for my condition.

Evening: Wrex. In the evening I move onto Indica dominant strains. Wrex is a doctor recommended morphine replacement strain. Excellent.

Bedtime: Crippled Rhino. The name says it all. This strain got me off of Ambien.

In closing I cannot stress the importance of having the right strain for you. Just like you don't take only one medication for depression and anxiety, The same is true for medical marijuana.

When I got my card I did a bunch of strain research I bought a bunch of strains in small amounts I would medicate and then take notes. This is how I found the strains that work for me.

Best wishes!

18. I smoke equally for the pleasure of smoking and to repress my depression and anxiety. I was prescribed mood stabilizers for bipolar like symptoms a while back and stopped taking them when I got angry about something else. Weed is still what's helped me the most

19. i am looking forward to try Harlequin soon but all the other straisn i havent't heard of, but yeah i stay away from sativas and prefer indicas or indica dominant hybrids.