marijuana facts

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by BananasNcreme, Nov 10, 2010.

1. First of all i apologize as im sure there are threads that are asking basically the same thing i am, but I was unable to find them. Almost every day i encounter people who have been misinformed through school, etc, about how "harmful" marijuana is. Normally, i just blow it off, and laugh at the mindless idiots, but lately my girlfriend has been forced into taking drug classes due to being on probation(she just turned 18. Just saying that so you guys dont think im underage) and in those classes, she has been told that marijuana can affect pregnancy. Now, i believe that the mother smoking marijuana while pregnant could harm a fetus, as it deprives it of oxygen much like tobacco does, but does anyone have some facts on if, the mother and father were to smoke marijuana prior to a child being conceived, would it harm the baby? My mind tells me no, but im looking for some hard facts against(or for) it. I just want the facts so i can present them to her, and I havent been able to find anything on google on it.
    Thanks in advance!
    (and if this is in the wrong forum i apologize and ask that you move rather than close it. i couldnt decide where it belongs)

2. MJ does not harm a fetus during pregnancy
    Myth: Marijuana Use During Pregnancy Damages the Fetus. Prenatal marijuana exposure causes birth defects in babies, and, as they grow older, developmental problems. The health and well being of the next generation is threatened by marijuana use by pregnant women.

Fact: Studies of newborns, infants, and children show no consistent physical, developmental, or cognitive deficits related to prenatal marijuana exposure. Marijuana had no reliable impact on birth size, length of gestation, neurological development, or the occurrence of physical abnormalities. The administration of hundreds of tests to older children has revealed only minor differences between offspring of marijuana users and nonusers, and some are positive rather than negative. Two unconfirmed case-control studies identified prenatal marijuana exposure as one of many factors statistically associated with childhood cancer. Given other available evidence, it is highly unlikely that marijuana causes cancer in children.

Mann, Peggy. The Sad Story of Mary Wanna. NY: Woodmere Press, 1988. 30.

Fried, Peter. Quoted in “Marijuana: Its Use and Effects.” Prevention Pipeline. 8:5 (1995): 4.

American Council for Drug Education. Drugs and Pregnancy. Rockville: Phoenix House, 1994.

Swan, Neil. “A Look at Marijuana’s Harmful Effects.” NIDA Notes. 9. 2 (1994): 16.

Parents Resource Institute for Drug Education. Marijuana – Effects on the Female. Atlanta, GA: PRIDE, 1996.

This is a good site to look at
    http://www.drugpolicy.org/marijuana/factsmyths/#pregnancy

3. #3 3lemental, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2010
    Also, search for Dr Melanie Dreher, she did a really good long-term study in Jamaica where there's a lot of mothers who do smoke, and a lot who don't. Raised some interesting points, bottom line being "it's not that bad".

Edit: summary of the research on CC http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/1404.html