Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana Facts & Myths

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by ClintBeestwood, Apr 16, 2012.

1. I'm sure this thread has been done before, But honestly there is some people on GrassCity that still believe marijuana is harmful to your lungs and brain.

MARIJUANA DOES NOT KILL BRAIN CELLS OR CAUSE LUNG CANCER
    PROOF:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBRSsH-ntn0]Does Marijuana Cause Dead Brain cells or Lung Cancer? - YouTube[/ame]

According to http://norml.org,
    Marijuana is the third most popular recreational drug in America (behind only alcohol and tobacco), and has been used by nearly 100 million Americans. According to government surveys, some 25 million Americans have smoked marijuana in the past year, and more than 14 million do so regularly despite harsh laws against its use. Our public policies should reflect this reality, not deny it.
    Marijuana is far less dangerous than alcohol or tobacco. Around 50,000 people die each year from alcohol poisoning. Similarly, more than 400,000 deaths each year are attributed to tobacco smoking. By comparison, marijuana is nontoxic and cannot cause death by overdose. According to the prestigious European medical journal, The Lancet, "The smoking of cannabis, even long-term, is not harmful to health. ... It would be reasonable to judge cannabis as less of a threat ... than alcohol or tobacco."

NORML supports the removal of all penalties for the private possession and responsible use of marijuana by adults, including cultivation for personal use, and casual nonprofit transfers of small amounts. This policy, known as decriminalization, removes the consumer -- the marijuana smoker -- from the criminal justice system.
    More than 30 percent of the U.S. population lives under some form of marijuana decriminalization, and according to government and academic studies, these laws have not contributed to an increase in marijuana consumption nor negatively impacted adolescent attitudes toward drug use.

Enforcing marijuana prohibition costs taxpayers an estimated $10 billion annually and results in the arrest of more than 853,000 individuals per year -- far more than the total number of arrestees for all violent crimes combined, including murder, rape, robbery and aggravated assault

Of those charged with marijuana violations, approximately 88 percent,750,591Americans were charged with possession only. The remaining 103,247 individuals were charged with "sale/manufacture," a category that includes all cultivation offenses, even those where the marijuana was being grown for personal or medical use. In past years, roughly 30 percent of those arrested were age 19 or younger.
    NORML supports the eventual development of a legally controlled market for marijuana, where consumers could buy marijuana for personal use from a safe legal source. This policy, generally known as legalization, exists on various levels in a handful of European countries like The Netherlands and Switzerland, both of which enjoy lower rates of adolescent marijuana use than the U.S. Such a system would reduce many of the problems presently associated with the prohibition of marijuana, including the crime, corruption and violence associated with a "black market."

Marijuana, or cannabis, as it is more appropriately called, has been part of humanity's medicine chest for almost as long as history has been recorded.
    Of all the negative consequences of marijuana prohibition, none is as tragic as the denial of medicinal cannabis to the tens of thousands of patients who could benefit from its therapeutic use.
    Modern research suggests that cannabis is a valuable aid in the treatment of a wide range of clinical applications.[4] These include pain relief -- particularly of neuropathic pain (pain from nerve damage) -- nausea, spasticity, glaucoma, and movement disorders.[5] Marijuana is also a powerful appetite stimulant, specifically for patients suffering from HIV, the AIDS wasting syndrome, or dementia.[6] Emerging research suggests that marijuana's medicinal properties may protect the body against some types of malignant tumors[7] and are neuroprotective.
    Currently, more than 60 U.S. and international health organizations support granting patients immediate legal access to medicinal marijuana under a physician's supervision.

If you read this entire thread, and still think Marijuana causes lung cancer, or kills brain cells, I strongly urge you to die. :D

2. You've saved the forum from yet another post on this. Oh wait... :p

3. Anyone on here still believe that? I know its smoke so of course its harmful to your lungs, but anyone still think its a dangerous drug? I mean anybody at all?

Nice copy and paste straight from wikipedia. Im sure it took a long time and a lot of effort.

4. I'm sure the vast majority of people on grasscity have watched the union... if they haven't, they need to

5. did you not just read that? 20 Year Study Shows Marijuana Doesn't Harm Your Lungs | Complex.

no. marijuana doesn't harm your lungs, not in any form of consumption. let it be vapor, smoke, whateverthefuck. why bother to post? gc isnt for bad bitchy vibes like that man. cmon

6. [quote name='"AlwaysRipped"']

did you not just read that? 20 Year Study Shows Marijuana Doesn't Harm Your Lungs | Complex.

no. marijuana doesn't harm your lungs, not in any form of consumption. let it be vapor, smoke, whateverthefuck. why bother to post? gc isnt for bad bitchy vibes like that man. cmon[/quote]

You are sorely mislead if you think smoking weed doesn't damage lungs at all.

7. Theres small bits of ash and other shit in smoke besides thc and all your other goodies. Whether or not you get cancer, I don't care. Having all that shit in your lungs hampers your breathing. Seems to me like any smoke is harmful.

8. You're honestly gonna argue that lighting a plant on fire and inhaling the smoke that comes off of it, is not harming your lungs? It definitely is, Cannabis has much more tar in it then even tobbaco.

9. So what if its smoke? it affects your lung but you wont get any long -term helath dfeects or anything. Its like saying two much water affects you, but thers nothing wrong with it :smoking:

10. [quote name='"Ganja Bhai"']So what if its smoke? it affects your lung but you wont get any long -term helath dfeects or anything. Its like saying two much water affects you, but thers nothing wrong with it :smoking:[/quote]

There isn't tar in water...
    Plus, your argument is invalid since you couldn't figure out which "too" to use. There isn't "two much" of anything.

11. Yah and that's why it's a paradox, man.

Marijuana buds produce way more matter when burned into smoke than tobacco smoke however, studies have shown that sustained long term use of weed doesn't cause even remotely as much damage as tobacco.

So yah, you're probably causing minuscule irritation but if there's no serious long term or short consequences why should I even care anything you're saying?

12. when did i ever make the implication that marijuana has more tar? actually that doesn't even make sense. when inhaled, marijuana smoke can lead to tar. who said tar was essentially bad?

hash oil. i suffer from non-melanoma skin cancer. after putting bandages of hash oil in areas where the cancer is present, my wounds have virtually healed.

Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows

sorry for being sort of butthurt at the beginning but please only post if you have prior knowledge on the subject. dont h8, educate. and medicate. peace man:D

13. too any one questioning the lung thing

Inhaling any foreign shit can cause you issues, including dust.... so that argument is obvious

but there are 0 accounts of lung cancer from cannabis, and its being highly studied and close to proven that it reduces the risk of (non tobacco) lung cancer...... course if you smoke cigs, that is negligible due to the carcinogens you inhale, but you dont have to smoke tobacco to get lung cancer

14. #14 will3117, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2012
    If your trying to prove a point dont link to a youtube video it screams of bullshit even if it is not...link to reputable sites of experts in the field your trying to make a point in..The more main stream the more people will accept the info....

From the American Medical Assocoation

Governors push reclassification of marijuana for medical use - amednews.com

From Serendip

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1808

From the National Institute on Drug Abuse

http://http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/infofacts/marijuana

From USCD

http://health.ucsd.edu/news/2003/06_27_Grant.html

Generally any organization that has taken the time to perform a long term study has come to the conclusion that cannabis has minimal long term effects, the message is convoluted by all those supposed experts who draw conclusions without sufficient trials i.e. most anti drug and governmental organizations, but today most people generally take these organizations at there word without due diligence as to how they draw there conclusions...

15. not wikipedia

16. Inhaling the combusted product of any burnt plant matter is not good for the lungs.

17. [quote name='"HipHopFiend"']Inhaling the combusted product of any burnt plant matter is not good for the lungs.[/quote]

Inhaling almost any solid particles isn't good for the lungs ahahhaah smoke is many small particles

18. This thread just asks for arguments

19. [quote name='"SIRSOG"']

Inhaling almost any solid particles isn't good for the lungs ahahhaah smoke is many small particles[/quote]

Exactly, i wonder if dabbin is bad....is vapor yea?

20. I have been an on off smoker of cigarettes over the past few years, and a daily smoker of cannabis for around two. I have noticed that when i smoke cigs i have reduced lung capacity and overall worse lung health as opposed to smoking just cannabis.
    Peace, Crispy