Marijuana extract prevents nerve pain post chemotherapy

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by GanjaFreak, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Ganja Marijuana Cannabis News | Ganja.com | Marijuana extract prevents nerve pain post chemotherapy

2. Seems like I've been hearing good things when people add cannabis to the regime. I think I would go 100% cannabis first and if my body didn't respond I would try different strains and if that didn't work only then, would I consider chemo.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I really wish more cancer patients were informed about Marinol and cannabis extracts for chemotherapy induced nausea and vomiting (CIMV). For many it’s a much better alternative to prescription anti-emetics. Plus - the appetite stimulating effects of such cannabis products can combat cancer cachexia (especially in the elderly and pediatric populations)

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  4. #4 WeedCat, Oct 9, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Actually, Marinol turned out to be a complete disaster. The beautiful thing about cannabis is the entourage effect. You don't get that by taking only one compound (THC) and synthesizing it in to a pill like Marinol does.

Marinol makes patients feel out of sorts and anxious. That because THC alone would feel terrible to smoke. The CBD and other lovely compounds and terpenes are needed to balance it out.

On top of it, Marinol doesn't kill cancer and it's not even meant to. Only minimally helps with wasting disease, pain. Again, I would take the actual plant over synthesized version anyday. The plant seems to kill cancerous tumors. Marinol doesn't even do anything close to that.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Totally right! It’s for symptom management and not curative. I share your sentiments on it being synthetic, but hopefully it can be a transition piece in naturally derived THC and CBD entering the mainstream. It may be the only option in areas where medical isn’t accessible. We have it in NY but it’s insanely expensive to get medical marijuana.

6. thanks to cannabis prohibition we have to consider using synthetic compounds over real natural compounds from the nature. all the subtle enzymatic reactions from cannabis metabolites cannot be replicated by man ... cannabis has 50 million years at it while man less than 100 years making synthetic nature replicated compounds

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. The thing is, hospitals will never use plant medicine. They synthesize everything. I would like to see the naturopathic doctors take it on but weirdly so many trained herbalist, don't know a lick about cannabis.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I laugh at some of the naturopaths who are feeding into the reefer madness fear... instead of helping heal the wound they are ripping it open more

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. i hear you. The ones in my town seem to be anti cannabis. I think to myself, cannabis is probably one of the strongest and best medicines to have on your shelves.

• Like Like x 1
  10. how low lifes and deplorable s have taken over the cannabis scene thanks to prohibition, the negative energy surrounds the entire situation . When I re-found cannabis when I got older in life I then found out scum bags party hards are the ones you have to go to... not to Judge but it sucked.. I avoid those type people now

11. Plant does not mean natural, nor always better. There are plenty of plants that are organic and natural but if ingested will kill you.

Synthetic or lab derived ingredients are done for control of variables, contaminants, and quality control. Many medications are actually derived naturally, but processed for uniformity and dosing to keep the ingredients active and stable.

Naturopathic doctors are not doctors. They is little evidence for any of their cures or treatments.

12. #12 WeedCat, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019

13. Hi, throw in my 2 cent's worth? In my opinion, Marinol is 2nd rate compared to natural cannabis. (The entourage effect tends to create better results.) However, until cannabis is fully legalized in the US, Marinol is what our scientists are using in most studies! They do like it, since dealing with a single compound is far simpler than the unpredictable chemical mixes found in the many strains of cannabis. (One reason we need legalization- standardization of strains)

I'd like to offer you two a LOT of medical studies and articles about cannabis, the cannabinoids and the endocannabinoid system? My collection of links may help you learn even more.
    New 2019 "Granny Storm Crow's List"!

Medical cannabis IS beginning to show up in cancer care and palliative care in legal states. In this recent study from Michigan, about 1/5 of the patients used cannabis.

Medical Marijuana Use in a Community Cancer Center. (abst – 2018)
    Medical Marijuana Use in a Community Cancer Center. - PubMed - NCBI

I also would like to turn you on to some vital info about the endocannabinoid system, Omega 3 and cannabis use (especially medical use). You need Omega 3 to properly hook up the CB1 receptors of the endocannabinoid system. It seems our "western diet" is VERY high in pro-inflammatory Omega 6 and has almost no Omega 3. Most of our common cooking oils are high Omega 6 oils.

Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions. (abst – 2011) Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions. - PubMed - NCBI

Here’s the key sentence- “In n-3-deficient mice, presynaptic cannabinoid CB(1) receptors (CB(1)Rs) normally responding to endocannabinoids were uncoupled from their effector G(i/o) proteins.” (n-3 = Omega 3)

When a person gets too much Omega 6 and not enough Omega 3, it damages their endocannabinoid system, leaving them open to developing our modern ailments! An overload of Omega 6 leaves your body in a state of chronic low-level inflammation.

“The importance of the ratio of omega-6/omega-3 essential fatty acids” The importance of the ratio of omega-6/omega-3 essential fatty acids. - PubMed - NCBI

“Excessive amounts of omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) and a very high omega-6/omega-3 ratio, as is found in today's Western diets, promote the pathogenesis of many diseases, including cardiovascular disease, cancer, and inflammatory and autoimmune diseases, whereas increased levels of omega-3 PUFA (a low omega-6/omega-3 ratio) exert suppressive effects.”

Granny

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Thanks for the info, Granny