Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

marijuana encourages schizophrenia?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by barbie, May 23, 2006.

1. There is a huge debate about this...a lot of highly respectable doctors say marijuana has nothing to do with getting shizophrenia but then there are other highly respectable doctors who say the exact opposite. It seems like no one really knows for sure, more studies have to be done I guess before we truly know. I have read however that marijuana can make ones schizophrenia worse, i personally don't doubt that.

Until there is actual hard proof that marijuana can lead to schizophrenia I'm not going to beleive it. The government is the one whos been pushing this rumor since they are heavily losing the war against marijuana. Keep in mind the government will flat out lie to try to keep marijuana illegal.

This reminds me of a case awhile back where a teenager was caught smoking marijuana by his parents and then a few weeks later the teenager commited suicide. John Ashcroft used this case to go around america and tell the public that marijuana can cause sucidial tendacies, everytime he talked about it he brought up the story of this kid..... Well as it turns out when they did an autopsy on the kid they found out that he had been drinking HEAVILY the night that he killed himself. As it turns it it's pretty likely alchohol was what played a huge role in that kid killing himself and not marijuana. Of course John Aschroft and the dea conveintly failed to mention that. Also once it was made public that the kid had been drinking alchohol heavily the night he killed himself john aschroft stopped using that story completly, funny how that works. I think the moral of this story is be very carefull in beleiving what the dea and the government has to say about the negative sides of marijuana, more likely than not its just propaganda...... Don't forgot that our government also said marijuana made black people rape and kill white women.

2. Your government has, but in the UK it was downgraded to a class C drug a couple of years back, and we are apparently becoming more tolerant. However, the results of such clinical studies (combined in some part with the ridiculous amount of teens smoking very young because it's 'cool') are making them think they should upgrade it again.

My point is that I do think there is a strong link, but I'm not sure about cannabis being in any way causal. We do need more research and more is being done all the time. Either way, I think the associated mental health risks should be pushed as an important part of drug education in schools.

3. weed does not cause people to be skitzo if weed had ne thing to do with skitzophrenia it helps people recover from it dont belive me look it up ur self!! red it with my own two eyes in the hemp bible

4. LOL wow :) I was in a mental hospital before for a whole week before the bastard doctor released me!! I refused EVERYTHING, blood tests , medication, and staying in the Facility!!! I was really tripping out that if they found out that im such a burnout there gonna force medicate me, and i was EXTREMLY anxious about taking medication during my stay! Everyday the nurses will PUSH me to take my meds, saying how it will help.

I had never once admitted to the pscyhiatrist that i smoked pot, after my earing gave it away i admitted to doing it once n a while and he did say pot leads to alot of mental ilnesses including skitzo. ( I was laughing in my head saying as soon as im out of this bitch im blazing a fattie ) Anyway the docter kept me there for a whole week.... a forced tolerance break!! WAS GREAT!!! I was soo ripped when i got out.... being locked up inside a facility like that is NOT cool, only 7 days and my mind was going....i was starting to really think i do have a problem! haha

5. Didn't it occur to you that this information is completely biased? It also completely untrue.

Your doctor cannot help you unless you are 100% straight with them about everything, including your smoking habit. This cavalier attitude of yours will not help you. Denial is the chief cause of prolonged psychiatric care, and your treatment may take the wrong course altogether.

6. your mom goes to college

7. my friend just went to get tested for adhd by a shrink and he came home with some very disturbing news. The shrink tried to analyze him and he came to the conclusion that he is a very odd case and has schizo tendencies. the kid is a daily toker so maybe it does bring out shit

8. who wants to come over and smoke there body weight wiht me!!!!

9. i think the comon line in responce to this is that it can bring out an already existant condition.

I've seen a few friends go down similar roads. some stopped the weed and that was that, end of story. others, their condition was brought out and stayed out.

the real problem as i see it is that the CBD (and other relaxants etc) in cannabis calms down the user and is very ideal for a person with schizophrenia. however, the THC and some of the more "trippy" lesser known identifiable substances in Cannabis can seriously exasserbate the condition.

so, if you want to treat schizophrenia with cannabis (as i've learned many schizophrenic's do, despite it exasserbating the condition), find some stuff with seriously low THC and high CBD.... even hemp! as anything deemed "hemp" should have less than 0.3% THC (and that's nothing... you could almost get that much from lettuce).

Leafy Hemp salad anyone? mmm. good for the brain, the body, the mind, the spirit, the energy, the libido, the respitory system, the lymphatic system, the environment, the farmer, the wildlife, the air, the soil and the rivers, etc etc.
    Throw some hempseed on it too. get all the omega oils you need for healthy human life in exactly the right proportions.... you wont find that anywhere else in nature.

thnx siva.

edit...

oh, about the link. we should always remain clear as to whether there is a CAUSAL link or a CASUAL link. i know it's just switching two letters around, but it makes a world of difference.

oh, here's the thread to post your test results... Are you mental!? :D

10. Honestly i would tell youre friend to lay off the weed and see if it improves, the way i see it is it can go both ways.

My mother has skitz and well while she doesnt smoke weed she does have the "occasional drink" and let me tell you wow not a great idea it really brings out the outbreaks in her, as much as i would love to have a smoke with her i told her not to try it, especially since how i see her reaction to just a little bit of alcahol(sp?).

BUT as for me i have inherited it from her and i smoke daily for other medical reasons and i have to say my outbreaks at home and at work have gone down at least 70%.
    I just beleive every mind is different and reacts different than others.:smoking:

11. I don't think it directly causes it, but I think there is some connection between mental problems and long-term smoking weed.
    It alters something in your brain, and if your brain was designed to a run a certain way that's not good. Like powering a train with rocket fule instead of coal, the wheels are bound to snap.
    WHAT THE HELLS UP WITH THE METAPHORS?

12. Well, I'm gonna be one high ass skitzo then :p

My question is, did he really seem like he was actually schizophrenic before he saw a psychiatrist? What I'm getting at is, he may have been off, but there's always the power of suggestion.

I know you can take a mildly cookiecutter approach to things like schizophrenia because it IS a real thing and there are people who have the same thing so that it can be actually labeled as a disorder or whatever you wanna call it, but I'm not really for the whole idea of psychiatrists on a whole. To proclaim to understand a individual humans mind is just arrogant.. not that I'm calling all pyschiatrists arrogant, but some actually seem to believe they know your mind better than you yourself. Some just genuinely want to help and learn as much as they can and keep an open mind to individuality, which is great. But I think there are infinate numbers of, in this case or just about any, ways you could be 'off', and unless you're exhibiting the EXACT same symptoms as the definitive case of schizophrenia, then it could be something entirely different and infinately less or more complicated.

The mind is a very complicated thing, and as complicated as ours is, I think it's a impossible paradox to be actually to actually understand it enough to make a profession out of it, but eh... I've been wrong on more important issues.

13. What makes you so sure he wasn't doing other things like large amounts of ecstasy or acid and it wasn't THAT that brought about a serious change in him?

14. exactlyyy

15. That's a damn good point.

16. marijuana is one of the few things that keep me sane...:smoking:

17. you got that right bro every time I think of somebody stopping me from smoking/growing I get really mad for a second then it just goes away if I didnt smoke reefer I woulda been let that little demon out

18. Smoking cannabis will not cause schizophrenia. If you are already prone to it you may develope it later on in life but that is a myth that it causes schizophrenia.

19. I would just like to echo what others have said “marijuana does not cause schizophrenia or any other mental illness”. As most studies have indicated, environmental factors plus genetic factors cause mental illness.
    <o></o>
    Environmental factors contribute to schizophrenia in a lesser manner. It does not cause schizophrenia it triggers the disease. So if someone has the schizophrenia gene it does not matter what one does. For example, schizophrenia can be triggered by a divorce, loss of a loved one, or the cops busting someone. In short, schizophrenia is always present and is just waiting for one of those triggers to happen.
    <o></o>
    As psychiatry is concern, no one knows the exact causes of schizophrenia or other mental illnesses. So, how could they possible say marijuana is the cause? Also, there are millions of people that smoke pot, yet those millions are not running around with schizophrenia. Furthermore, psychiatry is based on theory just like the “ole Freudian fix”. Though I do not outright agree psychiatry is illegimate. There are just too many unanswered questions.
    <o></o>

As for your brother, I’m sure there are other issues that are not posted here. Without a medical history it would be impossible to speculate what could have triggered his schizophrenia. Now, the psychiatrist that said “dope led to your brother’s schizophrenia” is grossly outrageous. To diagnose someone without their medical records is impossible, let alone to say dope caused it. I find it hard to believe that a certified psychiatrist would make such a claim. In fact I would steer clear from someone that believes in such depraved ideologies.

20. Hi id like to say marijuana doens't cause skitzophrenia... first of all skitphrenia is caused by holes or cracks in the audio and visual department of your brain.. Whazt happens is when you get high anyway... the special stuff seeps into those holes causeing you to hear or see things.... its likely caused by climidia or ghonorea... get checked out... moreso than acid... this shit is passible by mouth and is the most commong thing... good luck.. maybee the shit will heal.. else they do have good meds out....