Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana during pregnancy

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by neoishkawaii101, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Ive been smoking marijuana to help me eat food since i have severe morning sickness, and so far its been helping.

Who else supports this idea of smoking during pregnancy? I once read a study on Jamaician women smoking during their pregnancy and their babies turned out perfectly fine. But I was told by another friend if i continue to smoke during the entire pregnancy I may risk getting my daughter taken away from me because they may do a urine test right before delivery. This is just frigging ridiculous!!!!!!

2. Why would you even risk doing any damage?

3. You're perfectly fine with your smoking habit. Their have been numerous studies that smoking Cannabis can lead to a healthier baby in the long run. Don't believe me? Google "Cannabis and pregnancy"

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. ya i'm no expert on whether it's actually bad for the baby but i'd lean against doing it. and yes if you test positive when you give birth you can face charges. this happened to my cousin when she tested positive for oxycontin​

5. #5 logamalitos, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2009
    The only unhealthy part of cannabis is inhaling the tar, which the baby won't be doing, so I don't see how it could harm a fetus, just my observation tho.

and don't be scared, they don't randomly drug test mothers before they deliver babies, the poster above me probably had a cousin who was already in trouble with CPS for neglect, drug abuse or something of that nature. While it is true you have to give urine samples during your pregnancy, they usually only use the urine samples to test for UTI's, protein imbalance, and other health problems that could effect the baby.

6. My wife smoked everyday she was pregnant. Had a boy who weighed 9lb 15oz. and 23 in. long. He'll be 22 in 11 days and studying for his Masters degree. They will piss test ya.....and thats a fact.

7. I would just hold off the last month before delivery due to urine tests, but other then that your baby will turn out perfectly fine.. possibly even get a headstart in life.

8. Not every state does a urine test after delivery. Check the laws in your state, I know for a fact that California does not.

Also, this is a VERY touchy subject that has been brought up time and again. I suggest you read these other threads on the very same subject.

http://forum.grasscity.com/medical-marijuana/414392-smoking-while-pregnant.html
    http://forum.grasscity.com/medical-marijuana/310497-pregnant-pot.html
    http://forum.grasscity.com/general/370069-pregnant-pot.html

Bottom line - THERE IS NO CREDIBLE PROOF THAT INGESTING MARIJUANA DURING PREGNANCY HARMS THE FETUS WHATSOEVER. Smoking ANYTHING though can be a risk, so if you want to us MJ, vaporize or use edibles (or tinctures), but don't smoke anything, as the smoke itself can have negative effects.

Women have been ingesting MJ for thousands of years to assist in pregnancy, it has been proven to help cramps and nausea, and again, there's no credible evidence that suggests that MJ itself is harmful to the fetus.

As for those who say "why risk it?" There's a risk involved in EVERYTHING you do during pregnancy, getting out of bed is risky. Driving in a car is risky. HELL, wearing NAIL POLISH during pregnancy is really bad because there HAS been evidence that proves certain chemicals in nail polish can cause birth defects.

Women in Jamaica have been medicating during pregnancy for hundreds of years.

Doctors used to PRESCRIBE THC tinctures for pregnant women before MJ was made illegal in the 30's.

Don't over do it, but in moderation, an edible every day or two, or a tincture and a vape bag every now and then should be fine.

9. Strickly from using common sense, Id say not "Smoke" it, as the THC may not be harmful, but the smoke may.

Just vape if youre going to. Id say eat it, but it may go to the baby. I wouldnt take any risks outside of vaping.

10. Regardless of studies any drugs or alcohol, etc is a terrible idea while pregnant. I could never put my child/let anyone put my child at risk just to get high...

Just my opinion though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Did you read her post? She is using cannabis to help with morning sickness and nausea.

Although in my opinion I would lean to not smoking (to favor vaping) I can't really see it causing problems.

12. It certainly isn't going to help the baby, and is absolutey retarded to smoke it if there is even a fraction of a percent chance it could do damage.

Can't get behind this one.

-The Budmaster

13. Well...from my observations, it's helped with the nausea a lot. So I would think don't inhale any tar, so make edibles or something like that so you don't risk the tar limitation into the fetus. Or something like that.

But I'm loling at the fact that whenever you get high, the baby does too.

14. Buy a Volcano Vaporizer...so much healthier IMO

15. wow! A year ago this topic would have drawn a lot of hate, now all I see are replies based on science and research. That's great!!

Here are a few links I know of about smoking while pregnant:

Medical marijuana: a surprising solution to severe morning sickness http://www.mothering.com/articles/pr...marijuana.html

Medicinal cannabis use among childbearing women
    http://safeaccess.ca/research/cannabis_nausea2006.pdf

Prenatal exposure to tobacco, alcohol, cannabis and caffeine on birth size and subsequent growth.
    A comparison of the effects of prenatal exposure t...[Neurotoxicol Teratol. 1987 Mar-Apr] - PubMed Result

Ganja use among Jamaican women.
    Jamaican Woman

Dreher's Jamaican Pregnancy Study
    Latest News - Dreher's Jamaican Pregnancy Study

Cannabis Relieves Morning Sickness
    CCRMG

Prenatal Marijuana Exposure and Neonatal Outcomes in Jamaica
    Prenatal Marijuana Exposure and Neonatal Outcomes in Jamaica: An Ethnographic Study

Prenatal marijuana use and neonatal outcome.
    [FONT=&quot]Prenatal marijuana use and neonatal outcome. [Neurotoxicol Teratol. 1991 May-Jun] - PubMed Result [/FONT]

16. Women have been having morning sickness since the dawn of hominid man.

17. #17 Leapfrog, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2009
    OP I try to keep this simple, short and non technical:

Do you know how much THC it takes to get a reaction (high) from your adult 100 lb+ body?

Do you know how much YOU weigh?

Do you know how much your fetus weighs?

Do you have the slightest idea how high your fetus gets when you are high?

If you give yourself an educated answer about that last question I asked...then you will be handling your "morning sickness" problems just like the millions of other pregnant mothers are...WITHOUT smoking Marijuana during any point of your pregnancy.

:)

18. If anything do not use edibles. I'm not a baby expert or anything but don't babies get their nutrients from the food you eat? I wouldn't put any THC in my stomach for that reason.

19. I have this friend of mine who thinks Marijuana resulted in the death of her unborn child. This is where it gets kinda cheesy however. She didn't smoke, but she was in this house full of people who were smoking. One time.

20. I was under the impression that actually "smoking" anything while pregnant was not good. You have got to think for two now, and since your child does not have the ability to tell you how he/she feels or reacts to marijuana, than I think its best that you just suck it up. Sounds to me like you just need a 9 month long T Break.

-C

• Like Like x 1