Marijuana Doesn't Help Pain???

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by ChronicBxR, Aug 17, 2009.

1. I just found this article saying how certain compounds in marijuana actually prolong pain.

Active Ingredients In Marijuana Found To Spread And Prolong Pain

I don't agree or disagree with the study. It's just one study and could potentially be wrong. I've also never smoked marijuana to relieve pain.

Thought GC would find it interesting, especially medical users.

2. This is the only study I've ever heard of that found these results. I'm sure the bullshit detectors of the MMJ patients all over the country just went off

3. The title of this article is a lie... they didn't study marijuana at all, just a chemical similar to one found in marijuana. If marijuana also has this effect, and it's significant, I feel like someone would've probably already noticed it. I've never noticed weed to have any pain relieving effects myself, though I've never smoked it with more than a cut, a big bruise, or a headache. It can distract from it, but it's hard for me to wrap my head around people smoking it to alleviate serious back pain, etc.

4. it makes your senses more sensitive. so i could see how someone coudl say that but i really dont believe it does. if anything it just makes your feel better.

5. No mention of dosage, or what cannabinoid compound was used.

Dosage is really important, because patients who use the right dosage in real life find temendous relief from pain, to a degree unrivalled by pharmaceuticals when you take into account side effects and long term addiction/tolerance.

Its known that over-dosing (recreational smoking amount) with marijuana can increase sensitivity to pain, but the sweet spot dosage of about 1-2 hits of really high grade isnt something you can ignore when you've tried it yourself, with the right strain.

"But our model shows cannabinoids over-activating the pain system, and it just doesn't seem like a good idea to further increase this effect."

My doubts are wether their model, based on dosage and type of cannabinoid, has any relation to actual smoking and vaporizing of the plant.

6. If a serious Med Marijuana patient reads this I think they might disagree. Sounds like they looked at what the body was doing, not asking how anyone felt.

7. The article is interesting, it's recent and covers material that i have not really heard much about at all, all i know is that the mechanisms of pain and nerves can be very complex and what medicine may work for some may not work for another, and vice versa

Marijuana's use with neuropathic and chronic pain is fairly well documented though, just take a look at the Pain section in storm crow's list http://forum.grasscity.com/medical-marijuana/436257-granny-storm-crows-list-july-2009-a.html

However it's not like prohibitionists funded this study or anything, they were just trying to further document marijuana's analgesic properties and came up with something interesting, this still is pretty new and needs more in depth research, see as they mention this quote at the end also

8. After having leg surgery, I found that smoking a bowl helped sooth my pain better then the vicodin the doctor's supplied me with.

9. Typical government/fed based spin against cannabis. rhetoric based on drug company politics backed by insurance companys so that the average citizen will not grow their own medicine thereby cutting into the profits used for bribes of our politicians and law enforcement officials to back the anti cannabis effort.

Peace,
    FG

10. Just more propaganda. I know first hand that it takes away pain.

11. I actually have a problem with my elbow where if I put too much pressure on it it will let off a very sharp pain. One time while I was high I was leaning off it to the point where it would let off pain, but it didn't hurt at all, it actually felt kind of good. I can't really agree with these studies. What about MMJ patients?

12. I just had braces put on my bottom teeth a few days ago, I'm high as fuck right now and they don't hurt a bit. Here in an hour or so, they probably will.:rolleyes:

13. Lol, that's not what they're arguing. Everyone knows it takes away pain. What about when you're not high though, the pain has come back, will it stay longer? That's all the study is saying.

14. Not the same for me. After two months of not smoking was when my pain started coming back, but then I'm all messed up.

15. @ Seiko, I know exactly what you mean vicodin doesn't do shit for me either!!!

It's not a cure for pain but it does help make the pain regress so you don't hurt as much. i know when my shoulders are killing me a nice bowl will help ease the pain but i don't think it's a permanent solution.

16. depends on the user also some people feel more pain some less depends on what you focus

on really. I have gotten stung by a bee high and let me tell you that shit is no fuckin joke.

Herb made it ten times worse I think. However headaches, nausea, minor aches and pains

definitely improve.

17. +1
    thats pure bullshit. sounds like more propogande spewed by interest groups. Fear is a powerfull tool, but it can backfire as we have witnessed from the last presidency hrere in the USA.

And besides, my bullshit meter just went off.:D

18. have you ever been stung by a bee sober? It also hurts alot.

19. It wipes away my migraines if I smoke earlier enough into one. It has never made them worse.

20. #20 CjX, Aug 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2009
    This is kind of weird, you guys usually eat up any shit that's pro-weed reguardless of where the study came from or even investigating to make sure it's creditable.

Now 1 study comes along and says something negative about weed and no one here will hear any of it. Talk about bias.

Another perfect example of how you can tell both sides are wrong about marijuana.

You got the government telling you it's nothing but bad, it's horrible, doing it will cause serious negative effects, it comes from hell. < They're wrong, no recreational substance is all negative

Then you got you guys preaching it's the perfect herb, nothing but good, cures any ailment, is healthy for you to use. < They're wrong, no recreational substance is all positive.

I've only seen a handful of people/places actually giving the truth that it's neither all bad or all good, it's like every other fucking drug with positive and negative effects that the user has to figure out for themselves.