Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

marijuana does effect the immunitys?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by virgin mary, Nov 13, 2010.

1. so a post i saw says weed is a immunosuppresive that means it DOES negativivly effect your immunity right? well i looked it up and cant get a straight answer from the internet. so i figure that this would be the best place to ask. does it weaken your immune system??

Attached Files:

2. Its an anti-inflammatory. That is a good thing.

From Granny Stormcrow's most excellent list

ANTI-INFLAMMATORY PROPERTIES

Biological activity of cannabichromene, its homologs and isomers. (abst - 1981)
    Biological activity of cannabichromene, its homolo... [J Clin Pharmacol. 1981 Aug-Sep] - PubMed result

Analgesic and antiinflammatory activity of constituents of Cannabis sativa L. (full - 1988)
    http://www.ukcia.org/research/Analge...stituents.html

1′,1′-Dimethylheptyl-Δ-8-tetrahydrocannabinol-11-oic Acid: A Novel, Orally Effective Cannabinoid with Analgesic and Anti-inflammatory Properties
    (full - 1999)

Antiinflammatory action of endocannabinoid palmitoylethanolamide and the synthetic cannabinoid nabilone in a model of acute inflammation in the rat
    (full - 2002)
    Antiinflammatory action of endocannabinoid palmitoylethanolamide and the synthetic cannabinoid nabilone in a model of acute inflammation in the rat

Cannabidiol-transdermal delivery and anti-inflammatory effect in a murine model. (abst - 2003)
    Cannabidiol-transdermal delivery and anti-inflamma... [J Control Release. 2003] - PubMed result

New perspectives in the studies on endocannabinoid and cannabis: 2-arachidonoylglycerol as a possible novel mediator of inflammation
    (full - 2004)
    http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jphs/96/4/367/_pdf

Cannabinoids and neuroinflammation (full - 2004)
    Cannabinoids and neuroinflammation

Inflammation and cancer IV. Colorectal cancer in inflammatory bowel disease: the role of inflammation. (full - 2004)
    Inflammation and Cancer IV. Colorectal cancer in inflammatory bowel disease: the role of inflammation -- Itzkowitz and Yio 287 (1): G7 -- AJP - Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology

A novel synthetic, nonpsychoactive cannabinoid acid (HU-320) with antiinflammatory properties in murine collagen-induced arthritis. (abst - 2004)
    A novel synthetic, nonpsychoactive cannabinoid aci... [Arthritis Rheum. 2004] - PubMed result

Stimulation of cannabinoid receptor 2 (CB2) suppresses microglial activation
    (full - 2005)
    Journal of Neuroinflammation | Full text | Stimulation of cannabinoid receptor 2 (CB2) suppresses microglial activation

Cannabinoids provide neuroprotection against 6-hydroxydopamine toxicity in vivo and in vitro: relevance to Parkinson's disease. (abst - 2005)
    Cannabinoids provide neuroprotection against 6-hyd... [Neurobiol Dis. 2005 Jun-Jul] - PubMed result

Ajulemic acid (IP-751): Synthesis, proof of principle, toxicity studies, and clinical trials (abst - 2005)
    Ajulemic acid (IP-751): Synthesis, proof of principle, toxicity studies, and clinical trials

Role of the Cannabinoid System in Pain Control and Therapeutic Implications for the Management of Acute and Chronic Pain Episodes (full - 2006)
    Role of the Cannabinoid System in Pain Control and Therapeutic Implications for the Management of Acute and Chronic Pain Episodes

Cannabinoid-2 receptor agonist HU-308 protects against hepatic ischemia/reperfusion injury by attenuating oxidative stress, inflammatory response, and apoptosis (full - 2007)
    Pivotal Advance: Cannabinoid-2 receptor agonist HU-308 protects against hepatic ischemia/reperfusion injury by attenuating oxidative stress, inflammatory response, and apoptosis -- Rajesh et al. 82 (6): 1382 -- Journal of Leukocyte Biology

Cannabidiol in vivo blunts β-amyloid induced neuroinflammation by suppressing IL-1β and iNOS expression (Alzheimer's) (full - 2007)
    Cannabidiol in vivo blunts

Cannabidiol displays unexpectedly high potency as an antagonist of CB1 and CB2 receptor agonists in vitro (full - 2007)
    Cannabidiol displays unexpectedly high potency as an antagonist of CB1 and CB2 receptor agonists in vitro

Anti-inflammatory property of the cannabinoid agonist WIN-55212-2 in a rodent model of chronic brain inflammation (full - 2007)
    Anti-inflammatory property of the cannabinoid agonist WIN-55212-2 in a rodent model of chronic brain inflammation

Anti-inflammatory property of the cannabinoid receptor-2-selective agonist JWH-133 in a rodent model of autoimmune uveoretinitis (full - 2007)
    Anti-inflammatory property of the cannabinoid receptor-2-selective agonist JWH-133 in a rodent model of autoimmune uveoretinitis -- Xu et al. 82 (3): 532 -- Journal of Leukocyte Biology

Endocannabinoid metabolism and uptake: novel targets for neuropathic and inflammatory pain (full - 2007)
    Endocannabinoid metabolism and uptake: novel targets for neuropathic and inflammatory pain

The endocannabinoid system in targeting inflammatory neurodegenerative diseases (full - 2007)
    http://medicalcannabis.com/images/pd...tory_neuro.pdf

Cannabinoid CB2 receptors: a therapeutic target for the treatment of inflammatory and neuropathic pain (full - 2007)
    Cannabinoid CB2 receptors: a therapeutic target for the treatment of inflammatory and neuropathic pain

Endocannabinoids, cannabinoid receptors and inflammatory stress: an interview with Dr. Pál Pacher (interview - 2007)
    Endocannabinoids, cannabinoid receptors and inflammatory stress: an interview with Dr. Pal Pacher -- Rosenberg 82 (6): 1390 -- Journal of Leukocyte Biology

Cannabinoids for the treatment of inflammation. (abst - 2007)
    Cannabinoids for the treatment of inflammation. [Curr Opin Investig Drugs. 2007] - PubMed result

Constituents Of Hashish And Marijuana May Help To Fight Inflammation And Allergies (news - 2007)
    Constituents Of Hashish And Marijuana May Help To Fight Inflammation And Allergies

Endocannabinoids appear to play important role in regulating inflammation
    (news - 2007)
    Endocannabinoids appear to play important role in regulating inflammation

Marijuana Skin Cream? (news - 2007)
    Marijuana Skin Cream?

Anti-inflammatory cannabinoids in diet (full - 2008)
    Anti-inflammatory cannabinoids in diet

Cannabinoid receptors in acute and chronic complications of atherosclerosis
    (full - 2008)
    Cannabinoid receptors in acute and chronic complications of atherosclerosis

Inflammation and aging: can endocannabinoids help? (full - 2008)
    Inflammation and aging: can endocannabinoids help?

Cannabinoid CB2 receptors in human brain inflammation (full - 2008)
    Cannabinoid CB2 receptors in human brain inflammation

Cannabinoid Modulation of Cutaneous A{delta} Nociceptors During Inflammation (full - 2008)
    Cannabinoid Modulation of Cutaneous A{delta} Nociceptors During Inflammation -- Potenzieri et al. 100 (5): 2794 -- Journal of Neurophysiology

Cannabidiol in medicine: a review of its therapeutic potential in CNS disorders. (abst - 2008)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Cannabidiol in medicine: a review of its therapeutic potential in CNS disorders. Journal article abstract

Why Cannabis Stems Inflammation (news - 2008)
    Why Cannabis Stems Inflammation

Emerging Role of the CB2 Cannabinoid Receptor in Immune Regulation and Therapeutic Prospects (full - 2009)
    Emerging Role of the CB2 Cannabinoid Receptor in Immune Regulation and Therapeutic Prospects

Cannabinoid CB2 Receptor Potentiates Obesity-Associated Inflammation, Insulin Resistance and Hepatic Steatosis (full - 2009)
    Cannabinoid CB2 Receptor Potentiates Obesity-Associated Inflammation, Insulin Resistance and Hepatic Steatosis

Ajulemic acid, a synthetic cannabinoid, increases formation of the endogenous proresolving and anti-inflammatory eicosanoid, lipoxin A4 (full - 2009)
    Ajulemic acid, a synthetic cannabinoid, increases formation of the endogenous proresolving and anti-inflammatory eicosanoid, lipoxin A4 -- Zurier et al. 23 (5): 1503 -- The FASEB Journal

Cannabinoids as Therapeutic Agents for Ablating Neuroinflammatory Disease (full - 2009)
    Cannabinoids as Therapeutic Agents for Ablating Neuroinflammatory Disease

Cannabinoids, Endocannabinoids, and Related Analogs in Inflammation
    (full - 2009)
    Cannabinoids, Endocannabinoids, and Related Analogs in Inflammation

Cannabidiol decreases bone resorption by inhibiting RANK/RANKL expression and pro-inflammatory cytokines during experimental periodontitis in rats.
    (abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Cannabidiol decreases bone resorption by inhibiting RANK/RANKL expression and pro-inflammatory cytokines during experimental periodontitis in rats. Journal article abstract

3. Thanks for reposting the granny list on inflammation, but that doesn't mean much in terms of the immune system. Anti-inflammatory properties of cannabinoids matter with respect to cancer and the formation of neoplasias yes, but immune system not so much.

YES, cannabinoids (probably mostly THC) are immunosuppressive. Likely, this is due to the endocannabinoid system, which can regulate immune response to, and through the exogenous phytocannabinoids. Phytocannabinoids (plant based) probably lower the immune systems ability to produce T Cells and all that in humans the same way they affect appetite, memory, and everything else the endocannabinoid system regulates.

This doesn't mean what you think - marijuana lowers immunity so I get sick more - it's not as simple as that. To understand this further, one has to actually learn the in's and out's of the immune system - which I don't think I have yet. I do however know that the immune system is trained, and responds based on it's training. I also know that the immune system has the ability to attack itself, and that probably any immune response promotes some inflammation.

While it may be true, that you can get sick easier and recovery time might be longer when chronically dosing on marijuana's cannabinoids, there are many factors to consider.

There are studies that show in animals with implanted cancers, THC-supplemented rats showed increased tumor size, and tumor speed progession. While the active phytocannabinoids can cause apoptosis, reduce inflammation, and can actively 'kill' cancer cells, they also downregulate the immune system that, in healthy humans, would fight cancer and everything else.

Also, autoimmune diseases can be regulated with cannabis. The endocannabinoids and endocannabinoid system might even play an important role in, and help aid in our understanding the various autoimmune diseases.

4. According to me,every drug has some effects on the health.No doubt the post is quite valuable which gives the information regarding it.There are also some test available which clear the doubts .For more information regarding it ,visit the site.Marijuana testing

5. Inflammation and the immune system are indeed linked

and

a little suppression of the immune system is a good thing for alot of people

6. Basically sums it up. But if you're fighting something, I would lay off the cannabis.

7. This looks relevant:confused:

Researchers Tackle MRSA Using Cannabis Extracts // Current

8. I didnt have time to read all that, but I will say this: Before giving up and accepting the fact Im a stoner, my mom, who is a nurse, tried to say all kinds of things to get me to stop. Shaming me, trying to make shti awkward, and scaring me. She used this once for the scare tactic and told me it suppresses the immune system, I will say here what I told her: most of those studies are bullshit, manipulated to get the results the government wants. Even though she is a nurse the training she got was probably bullshit, at least on the marijuana front.

9. It's not. The compounds in cannabis are also anti-microbial, anti-bacterial, anti-funal, etc. But nice point anyway.

most of those studies are bullshit, manipulated to get the results the government wants.

I agree, but I also do believe high dose anything, will negatively effect the immune system. I also know that our bodies, via hormesis, will boost our immune systems when it's a low-dose.

10. #11 tharedhead, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2010
    This is interesting:

Medical Marijuana - Immune Responses

And here is the full text of the JAMA piece
    http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/reprint/289/15/1929-a.pdf

This is a fun topic :D

11. Immune suppression that may be caused by a large overdose of cannabinoids has shown to be reduced by repeated exposure

Basically what I said above. Also the temporary lowering of the immune system might actually be beneficial, hormetically. (via hormesis)

The suppression of immediate and innate responses of
    the immune system together with the disruption of TH1/TH2
    balance might increase the susceptibility and promote the
    progression of infectious diseases and tumors, although the clinical
    relevance of these findings has not been clearly demonstrated
    in humans.

They have been demonstrated in rats (idk if they were genetically modified) who were implanted with tumors then given high doses of THC. It defentely is an immunosuppresant.