Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana/Depression/Serotonin levels

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by animalkrack3r, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Hey i'm pretty new to this forum..Looks awesome though!
    Anyway.. I have a question, here you go!

http://www.cognality.com/drug-news/dosage-alters-marijuanas-effect-on-depression.html

Anyway, what they say in the article really describes what I am experiencing.
    Smoking weed used to be fun, but lately (past 6 months) it seems as I just get more and more depressed each time. I have deep thoughts and I lose all sense of reality. Now the obvious thing to say here, well stop smoking weed... In which I have. But it just seems, throughout the years of taking EC stacks and tons of stims along with smoking weed it seem to have affected my natural serotonin levels and have made me pretty depressed. Anyone that can help or give insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thx.

2. Well if serotonin is indeed the culprit of your depression then an SSRI would seem to be the answer. Best bet would be to talk to your doctor about it.

3. dont take an ssri, no offence but thats a bad idea..... cuz the ull have sexual dysfunction and all kinds of stuff thats not worth it when ur only depressed because weed depletes seratonin

take 5-HTP, its a precursor in the human body to seratonin, and a natural hormone sold in most vitamin stores, its almost a mild anti depressant, all it does is basically put more seratonin in your body, which when i was feeling the same as you, entirely cured my problem

4. Heh, SSRI's can be quite helpful, I know from experience. As to taking 5-HTP, it's effectiveness is pretty limited. If you see the end of my earlier suggestion the best advice is to see a doctor.

5. yeah man there helpful but thats also a pretty serious anti-depressant to be taking for weed, im just saying from experience, (i was not depressed at all, until i started smoking everyday, and that made me depressed, due to a lack of seratonin) that the 5-HTP cured my weed induced depression, if your actually seriously depressed then go with the ssri

6. See a doctor! If you need meds, get meds. I personally find that weed helps my depression a lot.

7. I thought weed didn't cause your serotonin levels to lower. Do you have any articles on weed causing these kinds of chemical changes in the brain with daily use

8. That site doesnt look very legit to be honest. They also quote fox news which voids all of their reliability in my books.

9. They quote an actual study, so their information is definitely valid. Whether the study was conducted correctly or is indeed true is another matter.

Anyway, animalkrack3r, if what you're experience is depression and you want it to go away, do what the article says: smoke lower doses. Smoke less weed lest often. Try it for a couple weeks and see if you feel better.

10. Thx dood,
    Where abouts in NC are you from?

11. I had the exact problem before I took my break. I started again recently and it seems to be affecting me now. It's not solely because of the weed, I think it's also because my family has a history of depression problems and what not as well.

12. I recently started taking St. John's Wort for some minor depression issues, and it works like a charm.

13. #13 Murmur, Mar 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2009
    I have put your problem in bold lettering and the the part that has nothing to do with your depression in italics. Anyways, don't they prescribe weed for depression/anxiety?

14. Man, FUCK SSRI's, all those fucking meds will kill yo ass. If they gonna increase the damn serotin level in my brain, then give me a fucking shot of straight serotin in my fucking veins mother fuckers! Straight to the god damn mother fucking DOME mother fucka, thats what I'm talking bout! >=(

15. Why do you say that murmur?

16. #16 Murmur, Mar 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2009
    Well I have heard on numerous occasions that taking EC stacks can permanently decrease your ability to produce serotonin if used for some time. I could be wrong, but this is what I have heard and from what you are saying it makes sense. Like I said don't doctors prescribe weed for depression? I was on Zoloft but when I started smoking daily I was able to ween myself off of it and now I no longer take any anti-depressants. Talk to your doctor about it and see if an anti-depressant will do you any good. They worked for me, but now I'm all natural :)

Btw I realize the article says that heavy use may reverse serotonin levels, that may be true, however I have been smoking daily (and not in small amnts) for 3 years now and I feel great. I do feel a bit "out of it" when I don't smoke all day, but I certainly was not say that its a depressing feeling.

17. #17 SativaMaster, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2011
    definitely old topic, but I feel this thread needs to be kept alive for numerous reasons, the most important being if you smoke everyday this is a very real situation you could end up in. I know when I smoked every day the same thing the OP is experiencing happened to me. Smoking went from being very fun to just depressing every time I smoked. I would have deep thoughts about how im ruining me life by continuing to smoke and how im setting a bad example for my siblings. It sucked.

Now, SSRI's are OKAY at best. For some, it helps, for the rest of us including myself, no way in hell are they worth it. Granted, I might be biased because of my horrible experience on them (sexual dysfunction) but honestly if it's pot-induced depression, try 5htp, it works wonders with restoring natural serotonin that pot can deplete when you smoke too much. IMO to the OP: stop smoking for a month and take 5htp then only smoke like once a week and tell us how you feel.

I think all of us sometimes over do it with pot just because it is the most mild drug, but if used daily, it CAN make you depressed when using it. Even marijuana, especially now days with stronger pot, needs to be respected and used in moderation to keep the "magic" from going away and to continue to live a healthy lifestyle. And for the record, i'm not bashing pot. I love pot, it's why I want it to feel good and happy again when i smoke. I think we should all cut back on how much we use, not just to save money, but to bring some of the magic back that we all felt the first few times we smoked.

And guys to clear up the depression thing, I meant I feel down and have negative thoughts WHEN I SMOKE, not while off. That's why it's annoying. You smoke to feel better and happy, so when it does the opposite, you're not a happy camper.

18. i agree with this ;) completely natural and awwweeeshuuuum

19. I know 100% what your going through man. The other night night me and a buddy blazed through an entire Q in 3 hours. I was uncomfortably high, went to sleep, woke up with the worst depression I've had in years. I take 20mg of Cipralex daily, Weed has NEVER been an issue until yesterday. Moderation is key bro, I know I won't be toking for at least a few weeks to get my head back on straight.

Clear your mind, relax, sit back, and everything will work itself out. Ganja is NOT worth your mental health, trust me.

Keep smiling :)

20. aodtrapt...

thats when you light up a couple battys...you would feel amazing lol.

greening yourself out and smoking grams and grams in a single night is a waste of weed lol