Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana - Cure for Depression?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by xplicitcontent, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Ok, this is debated on both sides, but to the general public, they say that weed only worsens a depression. Well from my expieriance, weed did make depression more of a bitch in some ways, but it was ways that i had no control over. Due to it being illegal, finding a job that didnt test was a bitch. Dealing with cops taking my $80 piece and harrassing me sucked too. Since all the ads made it look sooo bad, ive been in several now dead because of bis' relationships. In the end though, it was lighting up that night that made everything better, made it seem like, shit, at least i got somthin i like. I kno that if all those things weren't there because of weed, life would be ten times better, but i still made it. All the antidepressants ive been perscribe, some even hooked on, did little and i easily overlooked the mild effects to realize that theres still a long f'n road ahead filled wit shit. when i began smoking, i stopped caring bout all the shit, i started to be more calm, knowin its all gonna come together like it does. And when i kno that ill be blazin, it makes it all the more worth it. So really, what's better, weed or antidepressants. Their both drugs, just from different suppliers, both of which are based on greed and evil so it doesn't really matter.

2. I don't think one stops "carring about these things" but rather that carring about it was modified in a way that the carring becomes only constructive, and not destructive.

++

As for the weed <=> depression relation being positive or negative.
    In my experience (over 10 years of tokin' _ and still goin') I have seen cases when weed helped, and cases ahere weed DID NOT help.
    I have not seen cases where weed worsened the depression. (but i rekon it COULD HAPPEN)

when in depression, the best still is to be with a true friend.

3. weed comes from a plant if you care to take the time to grow it..

4. I think perscription anti-depressants are just a quick fix. They make you think everythings alright even if it really isnt. Weed helps me see things more for what they are, and helps me deal with it. Anti-depressants only hold back emotion, and if you cant feel, you cant fix anything. Id take a bowl pack over a pill anyday, no matter what the symptoms :smoke:

5. I know EXACTLY what your saying, I thought I had depression at first so I go tell my doctor how I feel and bam 5 minutes later I have a months supply of Effexor XR, the shit made me feel soooooo out of touch with reality, so I stopped taking it, then I read on the internet and I find that my symtoms and the symptoms of someone with social anxiety are exactly the same, and that was where my depression was stemming from, I go to the doctor and BAM I have a six month supply of Zoloft, wich does dick all for me, but because im taking this little yellow pill my parents and my doctor think its instantly gone. But its not, Doctors are way to quick to dish out medication before sending people to get the proper help, just because its easier that way. Weed has helped me open up and make alot of really good friends who dont judge me. Weed in a way has fucked certain aspects of my life while saving other things. You dance with mary jane you get your toes stepped on, then she takes away the pain!

6. There is no cure for depression. Only treatment.

7. depression matters on how u look at things......and i think pot helps u appreciate things more, so i guess yeah.........

but i do think, if the government studied cannibis with a positive outlook and proper funding, they would find cures for MANY things.......

8. No depression can be caused my chemical imbalences in the brain.

9. i have been corrected.......but the persons outlook can also affect it.......i would think..........

10. ^^ everybody gets depresed from time to time... but everybody is talking about those who have a chemical inbalance in their brain and CANT be happy.... ..pot accuentuates your personality... so i dunno... i think bud helps but if you smoke lots of bud and your depressed you may just become more depressed and you'll become dependent on bud.....

..so if your self medicating with any substance do it in moderation... otherwise you'll just get into a deeper hole..... :)....

11. No dude my dad has bipolar disorder, and no matter what outlook he has he just isnt happy, chemical imbalences will do that to ya, its a very serious thing. Thats why I think weed may worsen things in a way cuz your just putting more chemicals in your brain, im not sure on that though im not a doctor.

12. weed makes depression better...the only way it makes ur depression worst...is when ur not high and u wanna smoke but u cant...thatll fuck up ur depression...but as long as ur high...u wont be depressed but when u cant smoke and are sober...ull be fucked

13. well, whether or not its a fail-safe cure for depression, it is definetley true that it helps some people a LOT more than meds do, but the gov't refuses to see that. i feel it should just be considered another kind of treatment thats out there. there are dozens of depression meds that you see on TV every day, some work for some people, some for others, some work for the majority, some work for a very limited amount of people. thats how meds work, so how come mary jane isn't thought of in the same light?

14. In my experience, weed is a great anti-depressent. Before I smoked, I had a very dull and lonely life. When I started smoking weed, I usually did it with other people. Smoking makes you more socialible.

15. I can attribute every single friend ive made in this town to weed, exept for one guy who was friends with me before I started blazing, good guy.

16. and what is alchohol everybody??? a social drug, cept it makes you lose even more control, and do stupider things and causes more damage to the body then smokin pot does. not to mention its a depressant.

17. well, for me when i do weed it makes me more depressed.. it hasn't been like that forever.. just about 5-6 months. I don't know if i have the chemical inbalence thingy cause when i did weed a year ago i was fine... but now for me it makes it worse.

when I first smoke up its great.. i feel happy.. but when i start to burn out the depression gets pretty bad.

now for alcohol, well i don't know why thats a depressant :p cause that makes me way more social and happy.

I don't really wanna try anti-depressants cause i've heard that ppl just loose all of their emotions... but ya never know that could work too, i'd rather just stick to fixing it myself.

18. weeds a better anti-depressant then alcohol...juss smoke up...if u think its works for ur depression..then fuck what other people say..i think its ur choice if its ur anti-depresant or not

19. Cannabis is an evoker, in a sense. If you feel bad and you smoke, you're most likely going to feel worse due to the increased amount of thought circulation and/or cognitive refrencing. Cannabis can make you un-depressed, if you want it to. However, if you're severly depressed and you can't take your mind off of it - Cannabis isn't going to help. As for alcohol, it just numbs your senses while killing your brain cells. Me personally, I'd much rather sort out my emotional problems by myself, then have a nice chillum of my favourite strand of Cannabis to celebrate. Hope that helps, Sirs.