Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana Culture and Legality

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by CollegeBlaze, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Alot of us are very passionate about marijuana, a sub-culture has emerged that denounces the war on drugs aswell as the schedule of narcotic that marijuana is placed under.

Alcohol has connoisseur's, people who enjoy brewing the finest alcohol. Although the number of people who appreciate alcohol is far less then the number who enjoy cannabis. Cannabis culture is filled with such dedicated people. From people who love the plant itself, to people who love glass and the science behind marijuana.

My question is, is our culture strengthened by cannabis being illegal? Would people be so intrigued/influenced by cannabis if it was what it truely is, just a plant and not a political subject? Is there only a sub-culture because the ball is in our court, and the government refuses to help fund and distribute like alcohol?

2. You know while I think cannabis should be completely legalized, I kind of like the fact that is underground. Imagine the people you would have never met and the experiences you would have never had if you simply had to go to the store, line up and buy an ounce of pot and a bottle of JD.

3. I have to agree, the weed-culture is almost entirely shaped by the 80 years of prohibition. From Anslinger to the modern pot-leaf symbol. There was definitely a culture during the Alcohol Prohibition though. It was part of what defined The Roaring Twenties.

I've met some pretty cool people because of weed (I've also met quite a few douchebags because of weed), and once in awhile, it's because of conversations about weed itself, (legality, strains, indica and sativas, growing tips, or just stories about how they made their accordion-bong). But I don't think the culture would deter much in the face of actual legalization. Change, definitely, but not go away after 80+ years of misinformation.

4. A man in a suit told us it was bad for us and it should be illegal.

Everyone believed him.

That's the only reason why it is still illegal today.

I make so many friends just by offering up a joint and talking to everyone in the circle, I meet awesome people, I meet losers, and I even met some of my closest friends today through weed. It's not like all I do with them is smoke, and even if we are smoking, we're not hurting anyone, I don't care if people are against it, just lemme do my thing. I'm not gonna get in your face about how weed is awesome, you keep your opinion and I'll hold on to mine.

5. I can definitely see where you're coming from on this, because the illegality seems to create a community with a cause, but honestly I think that having it legal would have way more advantages i.e. not having to worry about the pigs and the social stigma that comes with smoking.

6. I agree 100% that it should be legal. And I also agree if it were to become legal that the culture would change, but still be around.

The sub-culture that we have definatly has a good social effect amongst smokers. What's interesting to me is that laws that are ment to prevent people from using cannabis, have created an amazing sub-culture and a great act of civil disobedience.

7. Yes I believe that. I kinda like it being illegal, having the adventures of find places to smoke and all that. Though if it were legal I imagine the price probably dropping since it would be legal
    Also here in the US there is a drinking limit, and many young people become alcoholics.
    In Germany there is no drinking age for alcohol and because people are used to it there are less alcoholics and such. Just a thought