Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

marijuana boosting immune system?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by greenmeany, Mar 20, 2008.

1. hi all. i know the answer to the question in the title may have already been answered, but i am a little bit distraught right now so i dont have the patience to read. today, my father was diagnosed with cancer. he is a drinker, which weakens your immune system, but also smokes marijuana. When he comes out of the hospital and quits drinking, do you think that continued marijuana use will weaken or strengthen his immune system? any help here is greatly appreciated and links would help too. thankyou all

2. From experience, smoking mj does increase your immune. I don't know if it's because you are passing around joints so often that you are getting other peoples germs, so your body is ready to fight anything it gets, or if it is the mj itself. I do think that using a vaporizer has boosted immune system even more than smoking. Vaporizing is revolutionary.

3. I don't know scientifically if this is the case, but whenever I feel sick and smoke, I wake up feeling better. Of course this is if I get a full night's stoned sleep =]. Stoned sleep is the best man..

4. if he's got cancer its a little to late to worry about immune system since the bodies having to fight it all the time. I'm quessing he's got liver cancer? So there's really nothing you can do to stengthen it. Also anything you hear about MG strengthening your immune system is just hearsay and not proven fact.

5. I have read that THC should suppress the immune system slightly because of the CB2 receptors present on T and B cells. The effect THC has on cancer is unrelated to the immune response, though. If the cancer expresses cannabinoid receptors, then cannabis should help (in theory), but if the cancer does not express cannabinoid receptors, then it can be stimulated slightly by use of marijuana through a separate mechanism theorized to be related to epidermal growth factor receptors. So I guess hope the cancer is a type which expresses CB receptors, from a medicinal application of marijuana standpoint.

6. i think it does, cuz i ran out of nugget a few days ago and now yesterday i started getting a cold....:mad:

7. Well, im not sure if MJ directly effects immunity or if all of the effects of smoking help your body to repair itself. Good nights sleep, lowered stress, increased air flow in the lungs; all things that contribute to health.

8. yeah hes gut malignant cancer near his throat. Ive read that long exposures to alcohol, like in my fathers case hes been drinking for years, can lead to weaker immune system, also increase pharynx, larynx and esophagus cancer. But he never really gets sick so i dont think he has a weak immune system. I really dont have much doubt its from alcohol. I just thought that he could get an extra boost from the pot he smokes. he doesnt smoke often. maybe a bowl pack per day. thank you all for your help.

9. on a daily basis like more than 3 bowls a day, you will definitely have a weaker immune system, especially if his immune system is weak from the cancer. He has to let his body repair itself he shouldn't being smoking Weed.

Edit: but in your dads case just a bowl a day would probably be fine.

10. Dude, do your dad a favor and click on the link in my signature, then show him it.

11. Check out "Run From The Cure" on YouTube.

It's the link in Salvial's signature ^

Get your dad some hemp oil. It has cured other people of cancer, MAYBE it could help your dad. It's worth a shot, anything is worth a shot when you've been diagnosed with cancer. Only problem is, getting him some help oil...you would need to know someone who grows and be able to make the oil. Ingesting THC is a lot better to your health than smoking it.

12. I will say this.. I was sick about 20+ times a year before I started smoking weed. The last few years I've only been sick twice.

I don't know if it's the weed or something else, but the timing is pretty interesting.

13. Theres a type of black hemp oil you can make from weed, that is medicine for cancer patients www.myspace.com/hempjack watch the videos on there of the old man talking about it. He said he had cured his cancer with it. and plenty others too, for the sake of your dads health i would check this out.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysdaDhM9rfA

14. ^ Word spreads so fast. :) Stay optimistic.

15. I cannot stress enough how bad it can be for people to share bad information. Please do research before you tell someone a "guess" as a proper answer. I suggest you all use the internet as a tool to help others and expand your knowledge.

Marijuana can be bad for cancer patients immune system. That's the one reason my brother doesn't smoke. I can't pull up the entire article but here is a taste, basically it can reduce immune response:

Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, University of South Florida, Tampa 33612, USA. tklein@com1.med.usf.edu

The influence of marijuana cannabinoids on immune function has been examined extensively over the last 25 yr. Various experimental models have been used employing drug-abusing human subjects, experimental animals exposed to marijuana smoke or injected with cannabinoids, and in vitro models employing immune cell cultures treated with various cannabinoids. For the most part, these studies suggest that cannabinoids modulate the function of T and B lymphocytes as well as NK cells and macrophages. In addition to studies examining cannabinoid effects on immune cell function, other reports have documented that these substances modulate host resistance to various infectious agents. Viruses such as herpes simplex virus and murine retrovirus have been studied as well as bacterial agents such as members of the genera Staphylococcus, Listeria, Treponema, and Legionella. These studies suggest that cannabinoids modulate host resistance, especially the secondary immune response. Finally, a third major area of host immunity and cannabinoids is that involving drug effects on the cytokine network. Employing in vivo and in vitro models, it has been determined that cannabinoids modulate the production and function of acute phase and immune cytokines as well as modulate the activity of network cells such as macrophages and T helper cells, Th1 and Th2. These results are intriguing and demonstrate that under certain conditions, cannabinoids can be immunomodulatory and enhance the disease process. However, more studies are needed to determine both the health risk of marijuana abuse and the role of the cannabinoid receptor/ligand system in immune regulation and homeostasis.

and

Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Medical College of Virginia/Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond 23298-0678, USA. gacabral@gems.vcu.edu

Marijuana, Cannabis sativa, elicits a variety of effects in experimental animals and humans. Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the major psychoactive component in marijuana. This substance has been shown, also, to be immunosuppressive and to decrease host resistance to bacterial, protozoan, and viral infections. Macrophages, T lymphocytes, and natural killer cells appear to be major targets of the immunosuppressive effects of THC. Definitive data which directly link marijuana use to increased susceptibility to infection in humans currently is unavailable. However, cumulative reports indicating that THC alters resistance to infection in vitro and in a variety of experimental animals support the hypothesis that a similar effect occurs in humans.

16. I was recently diagnosed with a severe IgM deficiency and I was told by my doctor that marijuana probably has a little something to do with that. My immune system has definitely not been helped by my toking, that's for sure...and I've been doing this for over half my life. Sometimes experience with the topic at hand is a little better than just "guessing". :) Of course, we're not all the same. I'm just speaking for me (although studies show that it's not all that great for the immune system. as RoL pointed out).

17. sorry man you must not know anything about cancer. Cancer is uncureable. If there cancer was cured it would be all over the news. So they were just bullshitting.

18. Dude. Think outside the box, please. If marijuana (which had been used as a medicine for MUCH longer then our ridiculous prohibition has been in tact) was as beneficial as it IS to many kinds of diseases, yes, including cancer, it would NEVER see the light of day in the corporate controlled media. All these cancer companies that claim to be working to find a cure are deceiving you, they work in one field: treatment. You know, the one that makes a profit for them.

Although, I'm sure it's much more likely that some guy in maritime Canada would just give out hemp oil for free to his friends and neighbors and then go to jail for it because he wanted to pull some people's legs. :confused:

Think about why cancer has surged. Carcinogens in everyday products are appalling, and if you connect the dots, the people who give us cancer are linked to the people who treat cancer are linked to the people suppressing marijuana legalization are linked to the media. Don't believe me? Use this useful tool: www.theyrule.net

I'd also like to point towards this helpful post while I'm at it: http://forum.grasscity.com/recreati...itive-things-tell-my-parents.html#post2302884

19. im gunna agree with you salvial. im pretty sure after watching that video that using hemp oil is a good way to treat many ailments including cancer. the problem is that im really not sure that i can get ahold of the stuff you know? it is illegal. i guess the only way to do it would be to make your own. but i just dont see that happenin:(

20. does anyone know how many plants you would need to make the hemp oil?