Marijuana as a Wellness Supplement

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by fuckthecops, Mar 26, 2012.

1. So I was thinking, a lot of people are in favor of legalizing medical marijuana, but not nearly as many support legalizing it for recreation.

Why not change this concept? There are so many benefits to smoking weed even when you don't have an illness. Stress relief, personal reflection, not to mention it improves some bodily functions (back me up on this one Granny)

I think the reason why many people are against recreational legalization is because it has so many negative connotations as a drug. Maybe the movement would be better off if it were depicted as wellness supplement. Of course we should keep pushing its medical benefits as a means of treatment, but I rarely hear someone argue (on tv, newspaper articles, etc.) that marijuana is also beneficial for those who don't have an illness. Maybe then people wouldn't view smokers as drug abusers.

I have a feeling that those who favor medical but oppose recreational use kind of see potheads as prescription drug abusers. Really, I rarely ever smoke it just for fun or just to get high. Its mostly for relaxing, stress relief, help my nausea, improve my appetite. People need to realize that, for the most part, potheads don't smoke to abuse the drug. We smoke to enhance certain parts of everyday life.

Thoughts?

2. #2 xdog, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2012
    "Wellness" - sure why not. They already have ammo, why not give them a bomb to drop on us. People want clarity - not ambiguity.

Isn't "wellness" what Steve DeAngelo said in Weed Wars? Yeah, I'd stay away from that word........way away from that word.

It's a good thought for legalizing MMJ though.

3. Hear me out. You know that yogurt called Activia? That's supposed to regulate your digestive tracts and make your bowel movements more "regular"?

Why not market it that way? Marijuana does so many things for the bodily function. Whether it be "wellness" or any other term, of course you're gonna have to go into specifics.

I think one of the problems with people who only support MMJ is that they see the drug too radically. When people think of MMJ, they think of cancer , aids and multiplesclerosis patients. Then they put weed on par with all the other fucked up meds these people are on, so obviously the image of a pothead is pretty scary to them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that when it comes to full on legalization, there is too much emphasis on the "why not." Why not legalize? We're adults who can make our own decisions? Why not legalize? Its harmless! Why not legalize? Tobacco and alcohol are already legal.

Instead of:
    Why legalize? Because weed is good for you. It regulates your body. It helps reduce stress. It makes better able to unlock your creativity.

We need to put more emphasis on why its good, instead of dwelling on why its not bad. Prohibition didn't end because people realized that alcohol wasn't all that bad. It ended because of all the good sides to it: socializing, letting loose, having fun!

4. It can reduce the risk of certain cancers by 63%. Now if that isn't wellness, and enough reason to use it on the reg, then I don't know what is.

5. The whole medical marijuana concept is exactly what you are talking about. The fact that it is not a dangerous drug (due to gov't propaganda, that is the mindset) is supported by the fact that it cures cancer and many other diseases and how versatile it is as a medicine, so versatile that nearly ANYONE can benefit from using it, without having to experience any type of negative side effects.

The ambugiety that "wellness" would have if it were attached to weed, as opposed to medical, would only hurt the support we are trying to create. Saying it is good for wellness is wayyyyy too close to recreational. And fuck if America is ready to embrace recreational drug use. Society, let alone government, won't allow that.

6. Wellness is just a tough term to deal with because it's one of those words that people interpret differently. That's cool to throw all the reasearch out there and maybe you can get an extra vote or two for legalization - but PLEASE don't try to hoodwink people. There's a TON of very serious reasons for legalization - that's what needs to be brought to the public. I'll admit I hate the word marketing when I hear it and the herb referenced together.

7. Cannabis is a preventative medicine!

Alzheimer's scares the bejeezus out of any sane person. Amyloid plaque is deposited in the brain literally "gumming things up"! :( Right now Aricept and Cognex are the two pharmaceutical drugs of choice to slow the deposition of amyloid plaque in the brain.

But read what WebMD, a very respectable medical site, has to say when they compared Aricept, Cognex and THC!

Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's (news - 2006)
    [FONT=&quot]Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's

[/FONT]THC blocks an enzyme called acetylcholinesterase, which speeds the formation of amyloid plaque in the brains of people with Alzheimer's disease. The Alzheimer's drugs Aricept and Cognex work by blocking acetylcholinesterase. When tested at double the concentration of THC, Aricept blocked plaque formation only 22% as well as THC, and Cognex blocked plaque formation only 7% as well as THC.

So Aricept, at TWICE the concentration, works about 1/5 as well as THC! :eek: Big Pharma is slipping us an expensive, second-rate drug, when a safer, natural herbal medication, cannabis, works far better! :smoke:

And cannabis doesn't stop at just preventing the deposit of amyloid plaque! :hello:

Prolonged oral Cannabinoid Administration prevents Neuroinflammation, lowers beta-amyloid Levels and improves Cognitive Performance in Tg APP 2576 Mice.
    [FONT=&quot](full – 2012) (Win 55 and THC both activate the same receptors) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://www.jneuroinflammation.com/content/pdf/1742-2094-9-8.pdf[/FONT]

The activation of cannabinoid CB2 receptors stimulates in situ and in vitro beta-amyloid removal by human macrophages. (abst - 2009) (THC activates the CB1 & CB2 receptors)

The activation of cannabinoid CB2 receptors stimul... [Brain Res. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

Then there is diabetes! Diabetes can damage your heart, cause painful diabetic neuropathy and is the #1 cause of blindness in American adults! Thousands of people have diabetes and don't know it! :( CBD is the #2 cannabinoid in cannabis-

Non-Psychoactive Cannabinoid Reduces Incidence Of Diabetes, Study Says
    (news - 2006) Non-Psychoactive Cannabinoid Reduces Incidence Of Diabetes, Study Says

Marijuana Compound May Help Stop Diabetic Retinopathy (news - 2006)
    [FONT=&quot]Marijuana Compound May Help Stop Diabetic Retinopathy

[/FONT] Beneficial effects of a Cannabis sativa extract on diabetes induced neuropathy and oxidative stress. (abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Beneficial effects of a Cannabis sativa extract treatment on diabetes-induced neuropathy and oxidative stress. PubMed Journal article abstract

Cannabidiol Attenuates Cardiac Dysfunction, Oxidative Stress, Fibrosis, and Inflammatory and Cell Death Signaling Pathways in Diabetic Cardiomyopathy
    (full - 2010) http://www.natap.org/2010/newsUpdates/marijuana.pdf

And shall we consider MAD COW DISEASE? :eek: You get this by eating under-cooked, prion-tainted meat (very rare, but it happens!). There is no cure and you die horribly. However, remember that CBD that helps diabetics? Well, guess what? :eek:

[FONT=&quot]Nonpsychoactive Cannabidiol Prevents Prion Accumulation and Protects Neurons against Prion Toxicity (full - 2007) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://www.jneurosci.org/cgi/content/full/27/36/9537[/FONT]

Cannabidiol May be Effective in Preventing Bovine Spongiforme Enzephalopathy (Mad Cow Disease) (news - 2007) AAMC: Cannabidiol may be effective in preventing bovine spongiforme enzephalopathy (mad cow disease)

The medical benefits don't go away just because you are using pot for a giggle! That amyloid plaque is not deposited, and what is there is removed! That diabetes-damaged nerve is protected by CBD and doesn't die "screaming" in pain. The prions don't accumulate and do their damage! :yay:

All cannabis use is medical use, whether you realize it or not! [​IMG]

Granny :wave:

8. While I do believe that cannabis should be legalized right here, right now, I still believe that the medical benefits have absolute priority! Who cares if I'm breaking the law when millions of sick people are dying all over the world because they're not being treated with the correct medicine.

We all know that cannabis is virtually harmless, but if it's legalized for medical use and people start using it more then a lot more people will stop n think "Hey, this cannabitnits isn't all that harmful after all." And within a few years it'll be made available for recreational use.

9. Some of you seem to have missed OP's point entirely...

He isn't saying that we should stop thinking of marijuana as a medicine, he's saying that we should stop letting people think of recreational users as junkies. People are ok with MMJ but they're not ok with recreational use because they think it's bad. OP is saying that we should change the public's opinion of recreational use from "drug abuse" to a "wellness supplement" like when people eat yogurt for the health benefits (instead of simply for the taste) or when people take multi-vitamins.

An initiative like that would only be good for our cause, it wouldn't be detrimental in any way. Right now, if you tell people you smoke, they think it's because you're just some sort of junkie. If people started to think of marijuana as a wellness supplement, it would remove any remaining social stigma attached to the plant. It wouldn't be seen as a bad thing, it'd be on par with eating healthily or jogging.

10. Or you'll get more of the MMJ people who either don't care or will actually fight to keep recreational use illegal. In any event people shouldn't need to get some kind of wellness card just to use a drug that's less harmful than alcohol. If I wanna go buy some red wine I don't need a 'heart health' prescription.

Winning this war is all about changing public opinion and getting people to simply read the writing on the wall. There's no need to spread wellness agenda or other shifty information in order to get people on our side. If anything it just furthers the stereotype that most mmj users just wanna get high and will claim anything to get their meds.

11. What the fuck are talking about, man?

Which OP did you read? All fuckthecops said is that we should change the public's opinion of the recreation use. We should let people know it's a healthy thing to do, not just something you do for fun. That's all he meant by wellness supplement. Where the hell are you getting this "wellness agenda" nonsense, dude? :confused:

12. It wasn't necessarily directed at the op. It related to that idiotic show called 'weed wars' or w/e. Basically the guy didn't want outright legalization, but he thought that everyone should be able to get weed for personal 'wellness' or something.

13. ok, well that's not what I mean.

and to the guy saying that you hate when marketing and marijuana is used in the same sentence... how do you think we are going to get people to change their minds? There is so much information out there about how weed is beneficial, but people still don't care because they see it negatively. Like my parents who know weed isn't really harmful, but they view potheads as bums, punks, etc because they equate smoking weed to drug abuse.

when you show people that there are legitimate non-medical reasons to smoke, that's when you start changing minds. We have to show people that weed isn't just for cancer patients or "low lives"... Its for everybody You can use it in so many different ways!

You can go blue in the face explaining all the benefits, but if people still think that only bums are smoking, they don't want to condone that. When you explain why people smoke(to exercise, to sleep better, to relax, to study, to be creative) that's when it starts to make a difference.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that these people are totally misinformed as to why people smoke. We need to set the record straight and, yes, market it to them.

14. Please, go look up the word ambiguity so you know what we're talking about - pretty much everything you mention falls under medical/health.

You don't need to change minds so much as you need to get people registered to vote and to the polls. The truth is most people couldn't give a crap why you smoke and they don't care to be enlightened about it. Might sound harsh, but that's just the way it is.

15. #16 hope2toke, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2012
    I liked the image of german rabbits eating cannabis plants. it could be a label for hemp yogurt, or rabbit feed. my dogs only stick their head in the same bowl when hemps in it. for some reason they fight over meat dairy or other treats and won't stick their heads in together.

16. No need to be a smart ass. Like I said before, it doesn't necessarily have to be the word "wellness."

I see we're not going to agree on this so I'm just gonna end this thread.

17. recreational use........so :smoke:

18. What's your point?

OP's point is that when the general public thinks of MMJ, they think of it as only being beneficial to people with seriously debilitating conditions - like cancers patients or people suffering from chronic pain. When the general public thinks of recreational users, they think of the stereotypical bunk-ass pothead - someone who smokes just so he/she can get high and get up to some stupid shit. It's seen as an immature, or even dirty (in some places), thing to do.

What OP is suggesting is that we change the public's perception of the substance. Cannabis used to be thought of as a bad thing, until people took some initiative and changed it's image. That's how the concept of medical marijuana came about. Medical marijuana is "only for people with serious conditions," as far as the general public is concerned though; OP wants that to change.

In essence, OP is suggesting that instead of promoting cannabis as something that's simply harmless, we should promote it as something that can be beneficial for almost everyone - not just those with life-threatening illnesses.

What difference does it make if three million people show up to vote... if those three million people see marijuana as a bad thing? I'm not sure how familiar you are with the political process but generally speaking, if you want someone to vote in favor of a certain initiative, they have to be convinced that it's the right thing to do.

If the general public knew that smoking/vaping/consuming cannabis was healthy and potentially beneficial (rather than just harmless) for everyone, people would be more likely to vote in favor of decriminalization/legalization.