marijuana and weight loss.

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by biorobotics, May 4, 2012.

1. does anyone know of any connection between smoking pot and losing/gaining weight? i don't mean, like, gaining weight because you eat junk when you're high, or losing because you smoke instead of eat, but pot's actual biological happening to your metabolism.
    i ask because i'm trying to recover from an eating disorder, and i've been maintaining around 70lbs for over a year, even despite having frequent binges (for example, i would eat tubs of ice cream and giant muffins and large portions of restaurant meals every day for a week, then get weighed at the dietitian, and either maintained or even lost weight, and on the very rare occasion that i did gain, it would only be a pound or two, putting me at never more than 75lbs).
    i hadn't been weighed in like, 2 months (since i started smoking), and finally saw my dietitian yesterday. i expected a bit of a gain from the ~72lbs i was last time, but from the past experiences of eating/sleeping a lot and still maintaining, i certainly didn't expect to see the scale register 80lbs.
    so when and why did my metabolism suddenly go from crazyinsanefast to slow enough to cause me to gain 10 pounds? the marijuana is the only change, so i'm just a bit concerned.:(

2. you shouldnt be concerned, you should be happy. your going to die if you dont put on a lot more weight. i know 7 years olds that weigh more than you.

3. should buy protein and just start having shakes at Bfast/lunch/dinner....and a steak during every dinner.. thats light

4. Ironic - you should probably take another look at the post yourself.

OP, I have seen weed effect peoples metabolism in different ways.
    I think it really depends on what happens to the individual biologically though.
    Some people don't get the munchies, some do.
    Some eat when they get the munchies, some do not.

Now, I've read that weed can stop your body from producing something (can't remember the name) that tells you when you're full or not needing to eat.
    I've always toyed with the theory that in addition to this it may temporarily boost your metabolism slightly - so I've thought that if you had the munchies and didn't eat, or just ate salad etc, if you can stave off the munchies that you might stand a better chance at losing weight, by not eating ina stage that your metabolism is chugging along.

So you've said you've gained 10 pounds - is the weight you're at now actually a problem for you, or are you just concerned about the change in metabolism - like, what is it that you want to achieve?

5. no, my current weight is not what bothers me. i still have at least 20 pounds more to gain before i can be considered 'healthy'. the concern is that i suddenly put on 10 pounds when i had been able to maintain for so long.

6. If you only recently stopped restricting or restricting/binging, it's going to be easy to gain because your body is so starved for nutrients. Marijuana won't slow your metabolism down, although I have heard anecdotal evidence about it raising your heart rate (opening up a good window to eat/work out).

Good for you op, for fighting your ED. I'm recovered, it can and will get better if you work at it. See a counselor or find some form of therapy if you haven't already, and just try to take care of your body like a good friend. Best of luck, you're beautiful and if you need someone to talk to you can always pm me :smoke:

7. the OP clearly states that he/she has an eating disorder and hints at trying to gain weight to be healthier.

the person i quoted posted a guide on how to lose weight while smoking marijuana on a regular basis. im sorry, but you dont "help" ppl that are 80 pounds lose weight. thats like shooting a bunch of heroin right in front of a recovering heroin addict.

8. I have heard---HEARD--- that MJ can slow down a person's metabolism...but that could be incorrect, but usually anything that slows your blood pressure also slows your metabolism...so if you are worried about becoming overweight keep doing things that boost your metabolism..like physical activity, a proper diet, and eating more smaller meals throughout the day...

9. With lowering BP, and possibly Metabolism, it would definitely make it easier to gain weight...not like immensely, but eveytime you smoke eat one 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds...they are great for your heart, and have high protein to fat ratio, and they are tasty, and easy to have around to snack on..one of my Uncles was #2 in a Mr. Universe in the 80's and he always had a hard time gaining enough weight to take enough steroids to build huge muscles...I mean I don't know about the steroids part, but none of those guys look very natural...so he would eat sunflowers when he woke up and a few times through the day just so he would gain weight more readily...I guess any nut would do it, but in the 80s apparently nutritionists touted sunflower seeds...aww hell I have smoked too much to answer questions without being super long winded (fingered?)....anyway try eating a 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds 2 or 3 times everyday, and you should gain weight quickly, but also still in a healthy fashion..and if a 1/2 cup sounds like a lot then try 1/4 cup, cuz you don't sound like you plan on becoming a body builder and they told him to eat a whole cup 3 times a day, and I figured half that should do it, but that still might be a lot...and what if you hate sunflower seeds? Ah wellll...sorry

10. Although I can't prove it I believe that weed has helped me reach and maintain a healthy weight. I have irritable bowel syndrome and it made it very hard for me to eat most of the time. So I would end up eating alot at once and that's it for the day. But since I have started smoking on a regular basis I have been able to eat many more small meals through out the day instead of one big meal. I have lost 30 lbs going from 220 down to 190. Now I know you are trying to gain weight not lose weight but my point is that weed was able to help me regulate my eating habits which might be what's helping you.