Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana and Tourrette Syndrome?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by LonelyStonerx, Sep 1, 2011.

1. I have Tourrettes and I haven't heard much on if marijuana can help with it or not. I'm only 18 and medicinal marijuana isn't legal in my state, but I've smoked it before. I only thing is, I don't have Tourrettes nearly as bad when I'm around my friends or whatever on about of having social phobia as well, it's only a big problem when I get home, then I pretty much get all the tics I've suppressed all day in evening and it's quite frustrating. I know my parent's will never approve of marijuana, especially while it's illegal but I'm wondering if it would help with this, because I know it helps you relax. Does anyone have any experience with Tourrettes and marijuana?

Thanks.

2. My good friend has tourrettes and he smokes all the time. When he smokes he doesn't tic at all. He's smokes everyday and I have personally only seen him tic once, and that was when he wasn't smoking. Marijuana does help with tourrettes. Hope I've helped you out :)

3. Here is what I have on Tourette's and cannabis from my List.

MARIJUANA AND TOURETTE'S SYNDROME (letter - 1988)
    Marijuana and Tourette's Syndrome

Effective treatment of Tourette's syndrome with marijuana. (abst - 1993)
    Clinical Studies and Case Reports

Gilles de la Tourette syndrome, influence of nicotine, alcohol, and marijuana on the clinical symptoms
    (abst - 1997)
    Notice -- Web of Knowledge [v5.0]

Cannabinoids: possible role in patho-physiology and therapy of Gilles de la Tourette syndrome. (abst - 1998)
    Clinical Studies and Case Reports

Cannabis in movement disorders. (abst - 1999) Cannabis in movement disorders. [Forsch Komplementarmed. 1999] - PubMed - NCBI

Treatment of Tourette's Syndrome With Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol (letter - 1999)
    Treatment of Tourette's Syndrome With Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol -- MLLER-VAHL et al. 156 (3): 495 -- Am J Psychiatry

Science: THC in TOURETTE-Syndrome (news - 1999)
    International Association for Cannabis as Medicine

Why your brain is primed for a high (news - 1999)
    Sign in to read: Why your brain is primed for a high - 27 March 1999 - New Scientist

Science/Germany: Clinical study on THC in TOURETTE's syndrome (news – 2000)

Combined Treatment of Tourette Syndrome with Delta-9-THC and Dopamine Receptor Antagonists
    (full – 2002) http://www.cannabis-med.org/data/pdf/2002-03-04-9.pdf

Treatment of Tourette's syndrome with Delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC): a randomized crossover trial.
    (abst - 2002) Clinical Studies and Case Reports

Science: THC effective in TOURETTE-Syndrome (news - 2002)

Treatment of Tourette Syndrome with Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol (Delta9-THC): No Influence on Neuropsychological Performance (full - 2003) Neuropsychopharmacology - Abstract of article: Treatment of Tourette Syndrome with Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol ([Delta]9-THC): No Influence on Neuropsychological Performance

Delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is effective in the treatment of tics in Tourette syndrome: a 6-week randomized trial. (abst - 2003) Clinical Studies and Case Reports

Cannabinoids reduce symptoms of Tourette's syndrome. (abst - 2003)
    Cannabinoids reduce symptoms of Tou... [Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2003] - PubMed - NCBI

Science: THC effective in TOURETTE syndrome in a 6-week trial (news - 2003)

Tourette syndrome is not caused by mutations in the central cannabinoid receptor (CNR1) gene. (abst - 2004) Tourette syndrome is n... [Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

Cannabinoids for Tourette's Syndrome. (abst - 2009) Cannabinoids for Tourette's Syndr... [Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

Oral Delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol improved refractory Gilles de la Tourette syndrome in an adolescent by increasing intracortical inhibition: a case report. (abst - 2010) Oral delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol imp... [J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

Science: Cannabis effective in the treatment of TOURETTE Syndrome and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) (news – 2010)

A New Use for Medical Marijuana? (news - 2010) Experts Answer Questions About Health and Medicine - Consults Blog - NYTimes.com

Cannabinoids improve driving ability in a Tourette's patient. (news – 2011)

I find that last news article to be interesting since I have a similar one about ADHD and driving skills!

Fitness to drive in spite (because) of THC (abst - 2007)
    Unbound MEDLINE | [Fitness to drive in spite (because) of THC] PubMed Journal article abstract

Hope that helps!

Granny :wave:

4. Thanks guys, really helpful.

Also, I know I could get a medical marijuana card in California for it, but could I get it in a variety of the other states with medical marijuana laws too since the other states' restrictions are tighter?
    I'll probably go out of state for college, so I'm curious.