Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana and Porphyria

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by NEW, Jun 7, 2009.

1. My mom has porphyria, and I hate what all these pharmaceutical drugs have done to her with side effects. I was wondering if anybody knows if cannabis can be used to help treat porphyria? Thanks in advance.

2. I'm not familiar with the disease, but I did some quick research on the internet to see the side-effects. It looks like porphyria causes a lot of bodily pains and aches. I imagine that a strong Indica strain would help relax her body and take away the pain

3. did a little backround search

porphyrias primarily affect the nervous system, resulting in abdominal pain, vomiting, acute neuropathy, seizures and mental disturbances, including hallucinations, depression, anxiety and paranoia. Cardiac arrhythmias and tachycardia (fast heart rate) may develop as the autonomic nervous system is affected. Pain can be severe and can, in some cases, be both acute and chronic in nature. Constipation is frequently present, as the nervous system of the gut is affected, but diarrhea can also occur. (wikipedia)

ok, so im thinking cannabis will help with, abdominal pain, vomiting, seizures, depression, and anxiety. now, it wont help or increase the symptoms of constipation or diarrhea.

But as for paranoia, some users find an increase of those feelings, some find a decrease, its a hit or miss

Now for tachycardia, i can only find this getting worse, or brought upon more often by cannabis use, because it does speed up the heart rate.

Its best to consult a level headed doctor open to the thought of medi-mari, but first, make sure your state allows it!

Good luck, and its nice to know you worry about your mother, even if its because you want to steal a roach or two :eek:

4. She doesn't have tachycardia, so no worries about that. And thanks for all the input. :)

5. no problem. and also realize that medi-mari isn't a cure for everything under the sun, but its a very versatile medication thats completely natural at the same time.

a close friend of mine has a script of xanax for her 'stress induced stomach pain' i have a big issue with this. such a god awful chemical she pumps through her body with a high chance of dependency and relapse.

She wont give cannabis a try because her defense is "I'm not a pothead" and at that point i couldn't finish the convo without choking her.

the point i'm trying to get at is, heavier drugs maybe more effective for the person, even if cannabis should scientifically do a better job. Its a mind set, and i doubt your mother would give cannabis a chance, and if she did, she would doubt the effectiveness, and her brain would still perceive the cannabis as less effective as her original Rx's

6. But shell drop bars no questions asked?

7. From Dr. Grinspoon
    RxMarihuana.com: More Q&A with Dr. Grinspoon (Use a word find on this- it's way on down the list)

I haven't seen any studies on this yet, but there are some articles about people with porphyria using cannabis for symptomatic relief. Run a search on the net.

8. yeah...she doesn't abuse them by any means, but when the tummy feels bad enough she has no problem with taking one. she wont even drink, and most people think cannabis is worse than drinking, like her.

her other excuse was "you know i hate any kind of smoke"
    i mentioned edibles and she was like "yeah, but you also know i cant cook worth a damn shit"

So, in her case xanax is better for her. maybe not for her body at all, but for her mindset xanax is better

9. I think I could get her to at least try it once, I've recently been explaining to her the usefulness of MMJ. But good luck with your friend too.

10. Thanks for the link :)

11. Hello im a 43yr old guy who has this disorder, I never smoked weed untell apx, 5 yrs ago about 2 years after i started getting sick. From personal exsperiance i can say it helps MOST all the time.