Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana and OCD

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Sensi Enthused, Jul 1, 2004.

1. For everyone who has read my story I am very very empathetic to all of you. I have Bi Polar Disease, OCD, chronic anxiety, chronic depression, and severe ADHD.

I have been on every medication you could think of and YES marijuana is 100 times more effective.

You def need a dominant Sativa strain. Sativas act as a replacement for many illnesses I mentioned due to the cerebral effects. If you are using a sativa and it does not help you focus and be more productive you are using the wrong strain. 12 year old are given Sativa strains now to replace stimulants and OCD.

I HIGHLY recommend the strain "Lambsbread". It is very hard to find but dispensaries do carry it. I guarantee you if will not be too strong and if anything you might get a bit annoyed that you do not feel stoned as hell. However that is the point of Medicinal Marijuana. You do not use it to sit in a circle with 5 dudes and get so high you stare at a wall for 2 hours. You use it instead of the addictive pills doctors give out like candy (70 percent dont even work).

Lambsbread was actually Bob Marleys smoke and I believe it is truly from Jamaca. If you cannot find it your next bet is to get a strain that comes from Thailand. I do not remember the name but it is alot easier to to find the seeds to grow if that is your cup of tea.

Two others that are worth a try but not AS effective : Banana Crunch and Green Crack. Both are def. good subs if you cannot find what I mentioned.

Let me know how it goes.Stay Strong. You are not alone.

2. Hey, thanks for the candid information. Sativa..good to know, as well as the other types. I never really understood this OCD until more recently. I am so tired of the endless, endless patterns of circular thinking that keeps me stuck and then beating myself up. I need a vaporizer, now, however, because smoke really irritates me.

3. Not a problem. OCD is SO draining mentally you feel like you need to escape your brain and just shut the endless thoughts.

Vaporizers are def the way to go. The diff is night and day. Just make sure you get a good one because the cheap ones break. The volcano seems to be among the best but I am sure there are similar ones out there.

Keep in mind that if you want to use green during the day to control your conditions it is prob better to use edibles. They act as an extended release and will keep you good most of the day once you find the right sativa strain and dose to fit your needs. Then use the vaporizer maybe to kick start your morning or for a nice indica at night.

4. Smoking cannabis has treated my mild case of Purely Obsessional OCD. I haven't been diagnosed, but from what I've learned it seems like I have the condition, although I manage it very well.

5. When I was a kid I had severe OCD with washing hands and carrying 3 brown paper towels that were wet everywhere with me (weird obsession I know)
    however, I beat that and it kind of faded over time but now it's mild with locking things like my car or the house and windows but when I'm high all of that goes out of my mind and I forget about locking all that shit because I trust people around me and myself
    idk how to explain it but maybe its cuz i have a mild case

6. #86 Sandcat, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2011
    I think that it would be really interesting to investigate the combination of therapy and cannabis use in treating these types of disorders. ALL psych medications SHOULD be used under supervision and in conjunction with professional therapy, but the trend of the last ten years or so has been for a GP to just write an Rx for Xanax and send patients on their way. To me, this is extremely irresponsible and counterproductive.
    I'm hoping that as the therapeutic uses of cannabis are more understood and accepted by the general medical community, it will become more common to see cannabis included in treatment plans.
    Of course, the big pharma companies will do everything in their power to prevent this. If I could have ONE DAY'S revenue from Prozac (for example), I would be able to build and staff a research facility with a cadre of scientists for just this purpose! My prayer is that someone will eventually do just that. In my research, I am finding more and more philanthropists who are contributing both their money and their reputation to cannabis related projects. There is hope.
    Our responsibility as patients using MMJ is to make sure that our medical records are complete, in that they chronicle our positive results in using MMJ to treat ANY medical/psychological condition in both palliative and curative care. Those of us who live in MMJ legal states have the duty to report our results to our Primary Care Providers, not just the docs who signed off on our certification for licensing. WE can be the proof that cannabis is quite literally a MIRACLE that treats, prevents and even cures so many conditions!!! Please, be brave and make sure your regular physician is aware that you are using MMJ to treat your condition and make sure they record this in your chart!
    Okay, rant over. Sorry for the long speech, but I have suffered terribly from two neurological diseases for 11 years, and the more than 20 Rx medications, surgeries, spinal injections, etc. have brought me minimal relief while taking a monstrous toll on my body and my quality of life. If my medical records can show proof that cannabis helps where nothing else has, then I might be the one who saves the next patient from wasted years of horrible pain and physical wasting. I WANT to be a part of that! I hope you all do, as well.

Be well and be blessed.
    Sandcat

7. i used to have what i consider a strong case of OCD when i was around 12 - 13 years old. The circular patterns became so bad that it started to affect my breathing, i believe the thought of dieing due to self induced soffication was what enabled me to get the problem undercontroll. I still have very mild ocd but knowing that i can controll it, i never let it get anywhere close to how it used to be.
    The pressure is still there but its like i have almost total controll over it, although when i smoke the pressure just fades away completely.

8. What medication do you take for ocd?

9. I take zoloft. I am on a lower dosage than was recommended bc I really would prefer not to use these types of drugs since they don't even really know for sure how they work. I feel that therapy is more important in my case. I recommend ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) for those of you that are having trouble. You can buy a book on amazon if you prefer not to see a therapist but a good therapist will make a big dif. Also, I can't stress enough how helpful meditation is. It helps me by putting the ocd thoughts into a perspective that doesn't center on the thoughts themselves.

I have varying experiences with smoking and OCD. I find that my mindset when I go in is very important. I think the anxiety that may or may not begin to take hold could be due to the control aspect of the ocd thoughts. Rise above the thoughts and see them for what they are, just thoughts, and it will relax you. Start getting scared of thinking in general and you may start getting noided. Because you can't just stop thinking! You can really only look at your experience in a different way. That can be a pretty radical change of perspective (and can take practice, hence - meditation) for some so sometimes I forget myself and get lost! If the only thing I can remember is that these moments are fleeting then I calm down right after and enjoy the rest of the buzz :)

Also, if you think it is making you wig, take a break. Go easy on strains you haven't tried yet.

I love this thread! Too bad it's so old. Hope people revive it bc I'd like to see more people's thoughts on it.

10. its pretty good at it. probably would be a lot better if i could get it prescribed. ive tried other SSRI's and they make it a bit more tolerable and it gets extremely bad the more unhealthy i am. right now i am not on any medication and am smoking.

11. I personally have been through every treatment options for OCD and generalized anxiety disorder. Inpatient, day treatment, several antidepressants, etc are some examples. I have been responsive to a drug called zoloft but wanted to push my treatment farther. I was given the authorization to possess medical cannabis (up to 30g's a month at the moment) for the treatment of my OCD and anxiety a month ago and so far since I started smoking 8 months ago ive seen a great reduction in OCD symptoms. I believe that the psychoactive chemical THC plays a large role in essentially stopping the formation of new OCD "thoughts" due to the fact that the drug inhibits the short term memory. FORGETFULLNESS = THE INABILITY FOR OCD THOUGHTS TO STICK. But of course thats just my hypothesis that currently has no medical evidence to support it but as an active member of the Cannabis program offered in Canada I am part of active research on the plant which has worked in my case very well and for others like yourself it seems. If it works keep smoking and dependent on your country/state you may even be eligible for medical options.

• Like Like x 1
  12. #92 Skeb612, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    If any of you think that weed helps you, you just want it to so you can have an excuse to waste your money on burning a plant.
    If you REALLY have OCD then marijuana fucks you up so badly. It does not help it. It amplifies it. Of course a stoned person wants to think weed is magical and that it cures every ailment known to mankind. Fuck that! You've been duped.
    Marijuana is a depressant. OCD medications are ANTIdepressants. If you think making the problem worse is helping then you're an idiot. Good luck to you to what you do to your OCD in the long run by pretending Marijuana is a magical cure-everything potion.

P.S. One time I died, but I smoked Marijuana and now I'm not dead anymore. It's so fcking amazing! Magical herbs dooood... Cures even death itself

13. It didn't help because anyone who says it does help is a moron. It's not ever going to help OCD. It's a plant. It isn't magic.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Somebodies upset that weed didn't help their OCD o_O

Grow journal

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. research- endocannabinoid system... hint, it involves cannabis and so much beyond that

16. I've dealt with ocd, panic and anxiety disorders and only very short term relief has been obtained using pharmaceuticals but at a price. Cannabis sort of puts everything into a remission and I can concentrate on more positive things in my life. So to be clear cannabis hasn't cured anything with me but sure makes things a lot easier to deal with.

Sent from my VS990 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1