Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana and lung cancer?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by High_Hatter, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Someone has told me how his mother died from lung cancer after smoking pot for three months. Well, that's what the doctor told him anyway, but I think he was just making an uneducated judgemental opinion.. or am I wrong?

I thought I've read that marijuana doesn't ever cause lung cancer, and may even help fight cancer... you can't get it cause you don't smoke enough, even though it has more smoke than tobacco, etc, etc...

Can anyone clear this up for me? People don't die from weed itself, but can people still get lung cancer while smoking weed, and die from *that*?

2. I'm too lazy right now to go around and collect the various studies (I'm sure another member will do it for me :D)

But you're correct. there has been no correlation drawn between regular cannabis smoking and lung cancer.

Furthermore, cannabis has been activley proven to dramatically reduce the growth of cancerous tumors in lab mice.

Also, my own doctor personally knowns that i smoke cannabis, and we're able to keep an eye out for any perspective respritory problems, he's constantly checking my lymph nodes, listening to my lungs and I personally monitor my lung capacity.

And i'm proud to stay, I have the lung capacity of a much younger, non-smoking man. This is only because I exercise regularly and keep my lungs free of scar tissue.

3. How exactly does one go about doing that, or is that a bonus with the exercise? :hello:

Thanks for the response, that's what I was thinking. Maybe my friend's mom smoked tobacco too?

4. As those who have posted before me have already stated... NO ONE in the history of the planet has ever died as a result of smoking [just] cannabis...

THC (and the other cannabanoids) have been proven (in numerous studies) to reduce cancer growth... This is most likely why you won't get lung cancer from it. In order for a cancerous tumor to form, the carcinogens have to meet certain enzymes produced by the body... These cause the cells to mutate and become malignant (sp?)... Cannabanoids are believed to prevent that from happening.

Also, cannabanoids prevent the production of blood vessels to the tumor (thus helping to shrink it and shit)... There's a lot to it that I can't explain off the top of my head... There's many articles out there (and even on this site) on the subject.

Go here for more info: http://forum.grasscity.com/general/110576-weed-cures-cancer-government-has-known-since-1974-a.html

5. Tweaked your second link so the ')' wasn't messing with it. :devious:

Also, the first link seems to have a 'yes, no, maybe so' attitude about tobbaco vs. cannabis smoke... :eek:

Thanks for the ever-increasing number of confirmations guys. I actually went and told my friend that his mom couldn't have got the fatal lung cancer from weed, that the doctor was clueless... now he's pretty upset with me... that's me, Mr. Smooth :(

6. While anthing is possible, 3 months of smoking is no more dangerous than breathing air. Some people are predisposed to have cancer and others can smoke, live under high powered electric lines, drink excessively and all kinds of bad shit and they live forever. The Dr. that told him that was just trying to scare him. (propaganda takes all forms the doc was just praticing his own brand)

7. fixed
    http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_health2.shtml

8. Thats not entirley correct.

Smoking anything damages the very small organic structure (the name escapes me right now) on your lungs (specifically the Aviolies), where Co2 and O2 exchange actually occurs.

But they are very resilient organelles and have an extended period of 'inactivity' before they actually begin to turn to scar tissue, reducing lung capacity.

That is why cardio-vascular exercise, in moderation can be very beneficial in keeping your lung capacity at it's optimum state, avoiding complications and infections later in life. The better your lung capacity, the more effective your hear will be at distributing oxygen to your muscles, the more efficent your heart is, the healthier you'll feel and ideally; the longer you'll live.

9. I saw a study on CNN about this specifically this past summer during the world cup. Well, the study was on the risk of cancer for people who smoke both cannabis AND cigarettes. the study found that smoking weed in conjunction with cigarettes makes you significantly less likely to get lung cancer (the study used relative risk, which doesn't make a lick of sense to me) than if you smoke cigarettes alone. the fact that it lessens the effects of cigarettes would lead me to believe that it's not a carcinogen itself. That'd be like an arsonist who's also a firefighter.