Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana and broken bones.

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by MiamiDadeKryp, Jan 16, 2010.

1. #1 MiamiDadeKryp, Jan 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2010
    Hello there GC.

Well, just yesterday I fractured my fibula playing football. I smoked about a half gram of midgrade mariujana and it seemed to help my leg alot. The feeling in my leg went from discomfort and slight pain (this is at rest and not moving around) to just a somewhat of a pressure in the leg, that i can't say was discomforting. It just felt funny but not painful. It seemed like a relief. It also improved my mood about the whole situation.Now i was perscribed vicodin, and i dont want to be taking it as it is very addictive and got my friend hooked when he shattered his knee. Now with a little research iv'efound that smoking anything in general slows the healing process. This conclusion varied though. some sites said yes some sites said no. This quote was the most convincing as it was backed up by logic

"It's not the type of smoke that matters, most smoked substances are burned up in the process of smoking - smoking itself deprives cells of oxygen and restricts bloodflow and so any kind of smoking is bad for the bone healing process or healing in general"

Now, my situation is that i live with my mom still. As im unemployed right now. (South florida has no jobs out here!) and i cant really be moving around as im in a soft cast and and the foot is positioned in such a way that the weight of the cast tilts the foot and causes pain. Now im thinking about asking her if i could use the marijuana medicinally. She knows ive smoked before but didnt like it at all. I don't want to disrespect her house like that and just toke up in my room, unless with her permission.
    Any broken bone and marijuana success or fail storys. With enough good things i hear about it i may be able to persuade her in letting me use it. only if it is beneficial to me.

Thanks for any information provided.:eek:

2. #2 Storm Crow, Jan 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2010
    Some reading for you during your recovery- From "Granny Storm Crow's MMJ Reference List" (linked in my sig and also a "sticky" in the "Medical" section)

Hebrew U. Researchers Find Cannabis Can Strengthen Bones
    Hebrew U. Researchers Find Cannabis Can Strengthen Bones - Good News - Israel News - Israel National News

Peripheral cannabinoid receptor, CB2, regulates bone mass
    Peripheral cannabinoid receptor, CB2, regulates bone mass â€â€ PNAS

Cannabis-like compound prevents bone loss
    Cannabis-like compound prevents bone loss: The Hempire - [cannabis, legalise]

The cannabinoid CB1 receptor regulates bone formation by modulating adrenergic signaling
    The cannabinoid CB1 receptor regulates bone formation by modulating adrenergic signaling.

Cannabidiol decreases bone resorption by inhibiting RANK/RANKL expression and pro-inflammatory cytokines during experimental periodontitis in rats.
    Unbound MEDLINE | Cannabidiol decreases bone resorption by inhibiting RANK/RANKL expression and pro-inflammatory cytokines during experimental periodontitis in rats. Journal article abstract

Cannabinoids and the skeleton: From marijuana to reversal of bone loss.
    Unbound MEDLINE | Cannabinoids and the skeleton: From marijuana to reversal of bone loss. Journal article abstract

Role of cannabinoid receptors in bone disorders: alternatives for treatment
    Role of cannabinoid receptors in bone disorders: a... [Drug News Perspect. 2008] - PubMed result

Cannabis does not constrict blood vessels, it expands them- your red eyes are an easily visible indication of this. Long periods of time in bed can cause re-absorption of bone- cannabis apparently prevents this. Also your amount of smoking is quite different- 2 joints or so a day does not equal a pack of cigs! You might consider a vaporizer if you can afford one (Vapor Brother's hands free runs under $150- the look alikes from ebay are very inferior quality, but work) Vaporizing does nor produce combustion products and therefore would not mess with healing!

You might get Mom to take a peek at my list- might help convince her. If you don't want her checking out your activities here :eek:, the list is available at other forums. Just run a search for it. Or you can Email me and I'll send you a copy, absolutely FREE! (check my sig for the addy)

Granny :wave:

3. ^ thanks for the help. anyone else?

4. 1) Get a vaporizer to cut the smell down to where a spurt of air-freshener wipes the odor out.

2) Get granny's info ready for mom

3) ???

4) profit!

:smoking:

5. Another thing, if you used edibles (brownies, cookies, lollipops etc.,) there would be no smoke, and therefore nothing to take up the space of oxygen in your lungs, and no smell for your Mom to wrinkle her nose at.

Parents often feel better about MM in an ingestible form (It does come in capsules!) because it fits the mental image of "medicine" more than a doobie. Our society is conditioned to think of a pill as medication and a smoke as recreation. MM also comes in tinctures, syrups, and other ingestible forms, so the mental, societal image of a spoon of cough syrup might come in handy.

Hope this gives you some help.

Peace,
    Bak Alchisk