Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana and asthma?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Guillermo_04, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Is it effective or counterproductive?

2. Depends on the person. It helps my asthma tremendously, but I know it can set others' off.

3. I could be wrong but from what i have heard you shouldn't smoke it but vape it, there is just to mush byproduct from smoking it that might trigger an asthma attack. Or you could just eat it.

4. I guess it depends how bad your asthma is. I have mild asthma and I smoke everyday and never had any problems

5. it helps me for the most part. but some days it makes it worse.

6. #6 BornHalloween, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2011
    i have mild asthma and smoke every day, ive had attacks
    but if i take my Advair every day and use my Albuterol only for emergencies im pretty good.
    i also have a nebulizer in case it gets really bad.

id prefer to eat my herb but unfortunately that can get pricey so i just smoke bowls.

blunts upset my asthma sometimes, but im not a big fan of them any way.
    joints are usually fine for me and dont give me any problems.
    bongs are fun but cause my asthma to act up more than anything
    small pipes are the way to go for me =) all i need is my glass 420 steam roller!

happy smoking!
    :hippie:

7. Health and fitness is not about dragging yourself into doing things you don't like. When you think about being healthy, you would probably equate it with everything boring. Like eating "boring" foods, and doing "boring" exercise, and even being a "boring" person. If this happens to be your mindset, then you would be confined to a negative idea of being healthy.

8. I have chronic asthma and from personal experience I can say it makes it better when you keep smoking, but i find that when i stop it gets worse. And also, personally cigarettes just kill my lungs so i would stay away from spliffs

9. It dialates the blood vessels (which is why your eyes get red)

Does the same thing in your lungs, for some people the smoke can trigger an attack, but for me it's always opened up my airways and allowed me to breathe MUCH better

10. I've noticed that it goes both ways. In the short term, MJ helps my asthma by opening up my lungs and helping me to breath freely, but it makes my asthma worse in the long term because of all the extra mucus production and lung irritation from smoking. When I abstain from smoking, my asthma gets noticeably better within a month. But vaping is a great option for asthmatics because it offers us the benefits of THC without the harmful effects of smoking.

11. If you click that first link in my sig, you will find several medical studies on asthma and cannabis and THC.

12. Same with me.

13. It doesn't bother my Asthma at all and actually helps it when I'm smoking or vaping, but if I take a few days off I can definitely feel it. I'm not sure if I'm feeling it because my lungs are returning to baseline and the medicinal effects are wearing off and I'm noticing it, or if I feel it because my lungs are irritated. I have tried unmentionable legal alternatives and they do the exact opposite, hurting my condition and breathability greatly for a few days. No bueno.

14. my girlfriend has asthma pretty bad, but she smokes. she's fine in weed smoke, but you light up a cigarette in the same room and she has attacks immediately. if she takes her advair and inhalor regularly she's fine, but if she doesn't for a few days she normally will have to use her nebulizar, though. so i'm guessing it depends on the person, but i do know another chick that swore it helped her grow out of asthma completely. btw i'm pretty high so i hope this makes sense lol

15. [quote name='"ForMiles"']it helps me for the most part. but some days it makes it worse.[/quote]

Same! Bong rips do me good though.