Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana and Asthma Questions...

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by mhaze21, Apr 13, 2006.

1. The only way that MJ helps is with a vaporizer,Smoking will NOT help your lungs

2. this.. or edibles

3. #43 xsouthparkx, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2011
    I don't feel like retyping.

Edit:
    I should try reading my post before publishing it :p

4. The winter time is the worst for asthma,if your vaping,do it through a bubbler or bong,don't do big of rips at once,then you will be fine.

5. Marijuana definitely makes my asthma worse. I've had it my whole life, but used to be able to go months without using my inhaler - only if I went to someone's house with several dogs/cats.

After smoking pretty frequently for a few months, I have to use my inhaler about 4 times a day and I have trouble just walking to class. I wake up wheezing every morning.

It sucks :(

6. If you have a serious allergy to dogs/cats have you carefully checked your cannabis for dog/cat fur:confused:. I ask because growers I know with pets anywhere near their indoor grows are always complaining about pet fur, which apparently can travel quite long distances to stick to plants.

7. Hmm, hadn't really thought about that. I've noticed an occasional hair here or there in my bud, but I don't see it that often..or maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Either way, since I've started smoking multiple times a day (started a few months ago), I've basically been having asthma difficulties all day, every day, whereas before it was maybe a few times a week or a month.

It sucks because I love smoking weed but asthma is such a bitch :mad::(

8. I agree, smoking definitely helps me in regards to my allergies. I have to take an allergy pill every 4 hours, it works great and I can breathe again.:hello: I'm allergic to dogs, cats, birds and anything with dander, lol.:rolleyes:

I used to do the netty pot to clear my sinuses and smoke or vape MJ to clear my lungs but it wasn't enough. The allergy pills don't stop it 100% so smoking helps me cough up the nasty stuff that makes it into my lungs and I don't do the neti pot anymore.:D

These allergy pills are available most anywhere and are very effective for even the flu:eek:, I give these to my wife and kids when they are sick with something respiratory and it has always worked.

Check them out and see if they work for any of you, don't need a prescription.;)

Equate: Chlortabs Tablets Antihistamine, 100 Ct Reviews - Walmart.com

9. vaporizing is where its at for asthma. i was born with it and im sick right now so it is flaring up.

i look at my vape as medication... it doesnt make the cough better but i can take deeper, more full breaths afterwards :D

10. Been using a Salbutamol inhaler since I was 5, and im turning 25 in a few days. been smoking weed for the last 3 years, which is also time i haven't used an inhaler..... ever.
    which is huge thing for me, even when i was younger, i would start getting wheezy even if i knew that my inhaler was running out. so smoking weed is a huge step in life.

11. if you have asthma, you shouldnt be smoking..you should be eating it.

12. It works differently for people, weed during the winter rapes my lungs,but during the summer m lungs are godlike,i also find i have stronger lungs then my friends when there not owned. For example i can milk the fuck out of my extreme q vaporizer hooked up to a bong,but other friend can't do it,not strong enough lungs and i have asthma. I always wake up now with asthma too.

13. asthma is difficulty exhaling your air capacity, not inhalation.

my asthma check up results were exactly the same as a year and a half ago and ive been smoking every day.

she said i have big lungs for my size so i told her thats how i can take a massive bong rip :D

14. #54 Internalfyre, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2011
    Hey everyone, I have pretty bad asthma although not as bad as some people. I just recently started smoking weed and I have found that I cannot breathe after I light up a Joint or smoke a bowl. Ive found that my experience with smoking weed is the complete opposite to many experiences I see on here. This is quite concerning to me because I do love the effects of MJ but I cant seem to get past the intake part of the drug without coughing EXTREMELY badly (it gets to the point where it goes on for so long i have trouble breathing. Also I get a ton of phlem release in my throat and my nose starts running like crazy. I have even tried a vapourizor, which made me cough even worse than with smoking joints and bong hits.

I have actually been testing my theory on molasses that so far I think it helps with the coughing I do. I have 1 source grown with molasses and 1 without. it seems that each pickup I make the smoke with molasses grown barely makes me cough. Yet the ones grown without, I cannot stop my coughing fits that ocasionally get frightening.

Does anyone have any advice on my issue, I really love weed and would hate to see my asthma issue prevent me from ingesting it :D.

15. I believe the phlegm release is a normal funtion of the weed as it is an expectorant. Coughing so much is a problem though, perhaps there is something with that particular weed, are you able to try different types?

You will cough, just not to the extreme where you could hurt yourself, ya know.

Maybe try edibles and eat it in food, there is an edible forum here you can check out.

Try the allergy pills I linked to above, they work great for getting rid of the runny nose and phlegm. http://forum.grasscity.com/medical-marijuana/89990-marijuana-asthma-questions-4.html#post9906451:)

16. #56 tharedhead, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2011
    Improperly flushed weed will certainly cause coughing, so your molasses experience may have to do with that. Have you considered growing for yourself so you can have more control over the quality of your weed?

17. Anyone with asthma should try sungulair, if you already haven't. Works for asthma and allergies and when i take it my asthma is controllable, but for right now,in the past couple weeks,i have been coughing like mad,i even switched weed, plus the growers around here are lazy and don't trim to well. I wake up now,barely being able to breath, i can't figure out whats going on.

18. I have the same story. Even though too much smoking out of bongs gas masks and blunts is too much, I love vapes, pipes (small ones that don't rip too hard), edibles, and joints. I do smoke cigs which is dumb. Just yesterday I made the connection. I woke up and had a morning cigarette. Within three drags I felt an asthma attack coming on. Luckily my friend left his pipe with me. Jone one single resin hit literally melted the tightness away in less than 10 seconds. All the mucous came right up. That is just as good as any inhaler I've ever used. Now I'm convinced I should get legal.

19. Got tested for Asthma, and turns out I don't have it:hello:
    I have no idea what I have though... It's all good though because I seem to be breathing normally as of now.

20. i have asthma and allergies pretty bad......

just got the MFLB, a vaporizer is the way to go i can tell a huge difference when i smoke and vape in the lungs because smoke just irritatest it..