Marijuana and Anti-Depressents

Discussion in 'General' started by holyrollers, Nov 14, 2007.

1. I've been browsing the forums for a while, and he's my first actual post.

I've been smoking for a year or two now, but I've just recently been put on anti-anxiety medication, aka anti-depressents. I was wondering about the effects of the two being mixed. I don't want to stop blazing every once and a while, but I also don't want to mess myself up.

Are there any of you out there who have experienced anti-depressents and weed together? What were the effects? Does anyone have any reliable information on the pair together?

Thanks in advance!

2. Well my advice is to smoke more weed and throw out your anti-depressants...

Much healthier for ya and the mind ;)

3. It can have different effects on different people, you may get bummed out and shit, but that could just be from the anti-depressants, be careful because in young adults antidepressants can sometimes make you more depressed.

I would honestly talk to your doctor if you have any real concerns, I know a lot of people who are medicated for like depression/bi-polar/borderline and they smoke and they're fine.

4. I have never had any kind of bad reaction to using anti-depressants and smoking weed. Don't stop taking your anti-depressants. Most anti-depressants take a period of a week or so to start working, so stopping whenever you want to smoke won't work. I've tried many different anti-depressants (I can't remember all the names but most of the serotonin based anti-depressants like Prozac, Lexapro etc.) I've never tried the MAO inhibitors.

Smoking weed is effective at relieving depression, but it is very hard to stay high all the time.

You can talk to your doctor about smoking weed, but some doctors can be pretty uncool about it. I've even had a doctor tell me that he would not treat me as long as I was smoking.

I did have a pot induced panic attack one time, but I don't think it was related to the anti-depressants, because it never recurred.

Depression sucks. Hope you feel better.

5. I've been on the anti-depressents for about a month now (Zoloft), if that's any help.

They were prescribed for anxiety (panic attacks) not for depression, since anti-depressents treat both anxiety and depression. Don't know if any of that info helps at all, but thanks for the input so far!