Marijuana and ADHD

Discussion in 'General' started by Darthcilian, Aug 15, 2012.

1. What are your opinions on cannabis and ADHD all around anything you have to say!:D

2. weed has kind of a lasting effect that, to me, seems a lot like the drugs they give you for adhd

that being said, I think there's about 0.0001% of the people who are diagnosed that actually need it

3. it chills me the fuck out :smokin:

4. I stopped taking my adderall a couple of months ago and probably will go back on it (just got tired of my crappy doctor, so never went back to get a refill authorization)

Weed helps, but I don't toke all day so it doesn't replace the 60mgs of IR I was taking (I have pretty bad adult ADHD and moderate ADD) Plus the adderall helps with my daytime drowsiness and weed not so much.

But I also might have not just found the right strain so who knows.

5. [quote name='"totalitarian"']Indicas fix it, Sativas make it worse.

That's about it.[/quote]

This. I have ADHD sooo bad, Indicas help out a lot! Not so much sativas at all. Try to get a good indica strain, and I also noticed it would help mucho amounts in small edible doses ontop of a puff or two..

6. ADHD is some made up bullshit brought to you by big pharma to sell pills.

7. Here, here!

Its the difference between the mentality of hunters and farmers.

8. Thank you all

9. Sorry bro, but the man is correct. It's an engineered psychological disorder created to make the drug companies rich. Check out the DSM4 if you ever get a chance, and read the general criteria for ADD/ADHD. ADD/ADHD is supposed to be a brain based, neurological disorder, correct? So why hasn't anyone who's been diagnosed with the disorder need a CT scan or MRI? Cause it doesn't exist.

10. I have ADHD and once I started smoking I stopped taking my adderall and I don't even feel the need to have to take my adderall anymore

11. yeah but we can all agree.... addys the bomb lol

12. #12 LeftHandLead, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2012

Do you know why they switched the diagnoses from ADD to ADHD?

Check out the criteria:

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​

1. [FONT=&quot]often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work or other activities [/FONT]
    2. [FONT=&quot]often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities [/FONT]
    3. [FONT=&quot]often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly [/FONT]
    4. [FONT=&quot]often does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (no if oppositional behavior or doesn’t understand instructions) [/FONT]
    5. [FONT=&quot]often has difficulty organizing tasks and activities [/FONT]
    6. [FONT=&quot]often avoids, dislikes, or is reluctant to engage in tasks or activities that require sustained mental effort (such as schoolwork or homework) [/FONT]
    7. [FONT=&quot]often loses things necessary for tasks or activities (e.g., toys, school assignments, pencils, books, or tools) [/FONT]
    8. [FONT=&quot]often easily distracted by extraneous stimuli [/FONT]
    9. [FONT=&quot]often forgetful in daily activities [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​

Who does this not describe from time to time? ODD, ADHD, and other conduct disorders were all created in social setting and have no scientific background. Criteria is so general, it can be placed on anyone at any given time. I can't tell you what you have, but ADD/ADHD isn't real.

13. [quote name='"totalitarian"']

Fuck off, I have had severe ADD and mild ADHD all my life.

Even when i try the hardest i can to pay attention to someone, my brain just doesn't store the information.

It feels like spacing out 24/7, it's really fucking annoying.[/quote]

What's your age?

I have/had ADD but I have over come this, mostly. Weed definitely helped in my early years. In high school, my grades rose to 4.0 after I started using weed, before this I was a C- student. Even in college I was on the honor roll more times than not, and I went to class high, studied, took tests high, and got high grades. I found that weed made everything inherently interesting and I could focus. 10 years later I have found I can't function on weed anymore but have lost most of my inability to focus. I have found I succeed most in a job that has me doing many different things all day long.

I think the comment about ADD being fake is the fact that if your kid can't focus he/she has ADD when this probably isn't the case. Too many kids are put of meds, however some really do "need" meds. By "need", I'm mean that it hard for some of these kids to function in our society and schooling systems. The way our society works is soooooo boring. Especially school. I find I can force myself to be interested in things and that helps me focus.

Teachers who make learning fun with lots of activity don't have the same problems with ADD kids that boring, pure lecture teachers do. A friend of mine teaches high school and likes his ADD kids because once their hooked with an activity they function better than "normal" kids and have amazing ideas. One of his kids told him he can pull the ADD card on most teachers but not on him because he doesn't believe ADD means you are incapable of focus, so he actually works for my friend and gets sent to the office by most teachers.

An interesting read:

http://hyperfast.homestead.com/fakediagnosis.html

14. Usually my head is never quiet. Like, my thoughts are going a million miles an hour constantly. The little voice in my head wont be quiet (Explanation: everyone's conscious thought process is different. Some people think by "visualizing" movements ad others think with pictures. For me it's like dialogue in my head. With myself. It's weird, I know.)

The only time I ever get a break from the chaos in my head is when I'm high. It's really bad.

A lot of people without ADD should read the book Delivered From Distraction because it really shows you what ADD is really like. Then you can stop claiming that it's fake.

15. [quote name='"lauracatriona"']Usually my head is never quiet. Like, my thoughts are going a million miles an hour constantly. The little voice in my head wont be quiet (Explanation: everyone's conscious thought process is different. Some people think by "visualizing" movements ad others think with pictures. For me it's like dialogue in my head. With myself. It's weird, I know.)

The only time I ever get a break from the chaos in my head is when I'm high. It's really bad.

A lot of people without ADD should read the book Delivered From Distraction because it really shows you what ADD is really like. Then you can stop claiming that it's fake.[/quote]

That's how my brain is. Have you tried meditation?

16. Yes, and yoga. It's more like I don't have the ability to clear my mind.
    Whenever I meditate I keep being distracted by random thoughts ("What if octopi were at the top of the food chain and humans were just random animals? How would they do ________?" "Holy crap I should totally hit up Baskin Robbins when I get home." Don't judge haha these are two of the random shit my head came up with doing yoga today.)

And sometimes (apparently is is an ADD trait) I'll be standing holding a glass of water and talking to someone and this overwhelming urge to throw my water in their face just hits me. I suppress it obviously, but apparently that's typical ADD.

I just refuse to believe anyone who tells me that ADD is fake.

Aaaaaand I just really off topic from meditation. Bye.

17. yea i think it helps me concentrate and motivate right after i smoke when im still high. after about an hour im tired and easily distracted usually

18. Don't get frustrated when meditating and thoughts come in, just acknowledge them and continue meditating.

19. There has been some research conducted that cannabis helps with the symptoms of add/adhd....

of course big pharma cannot profit....

I don't have the links but you can use a search engine.

20. This is how it seems unless you actually have it bad. I can notice a clear difference between my classmates and I in behavior, ability to focus and stay motivated, ability to stay organized, difference in creativity, and lastly impulsivity and energy levels. I couldn't believe the feeling of being able to sit down and work on homework after I started taking prescribed stimulants. It's incredible how night and day the difference is. It's definitely a weird thing to try and understand but it's not a new condition at all, it's just that we've now pinpointed the main reasons why ADHD affects people and we can treat it better than before since now we kind of know what it is (keep in mind that attention deficit disorders are far over diagnosed and excessively treated in many cases, yet, there are plenty of people out there who are legitimate cases).

One main difference is how my body reacts to stimulants. My friends will drink a Red Bull and get hyped up and jittery, but when I drink one I am able to better sit still, focus, and think without getting distracted (to a degree). My legs stop bouncing as bad and even impulsivity can be diminished if i get enough caffeine in my system. It's all about the levels of certain neurotransmitters in your brain, and in ADHD those are generally dopamine, norepinephrine, epinephrine, and serotonin. Stimulants like certain amphetamine salts (Adderall, Vyvanse) or methylphenidate (Ritalin, Metadate) act as reuptake inhibitors for the above mentioned neurotransmitters and allow for a constant, more typical level, of them in the brains of people with ADHD or ADD. People not affected by ADHD or ADD who take the same doses of these stimulants are affected in the more typical ways you would think of, kind of like a lower level meth or cocaine high. For example, I take 180mg of methylphenidate daily. Somebody without ADHD who took that much would be in for a surprise. The levels of their neurotransmitters are already balanced for the most part, so the stimulants would cause excessive levels of them and lead to different effects and more of a "high" if you will, rather than the "normalization" that people with ADHD get when taking stimulants.

Anyway, sorry for the long reply, just wanted to get this info out there so that we're all on the same page. Best wishes.