Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana after brain surgery

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Belbus, Apr 26, 2012.

1. So my friend just had brain surgery for a tumor that was classified as pilocytic astrocytoma. She had a seizure prior to the surgery (that was how the tumor was discovered), and it was removed 2 days after discovery. It ended up being benign. She smoked again a few days later, and everything was fine. However, the next morning, she showed some symptoms of disorientation, almost like she was about to have a seizure but didn't (she wasn't responding properly to questions, she was off balance, and when you'd get her attention, she'd look to the left of you instead of directly at your face). I did research and found that there is studies showing that cannabis inhalation could aid in spontaneous regression of the tumor. It's not cancerous, so I'm just wondering if smoking could be the cause of the seizures/ disorientation.

2. Highly unlikely. Sounds like some brain damage.

3. The only reason I'm thinking it's related is the fact that the first seizure happened probably 8 hours after smoking (before surgery), and the second one happened probably 9-12 hours after smoking (after surgery).:confused:

4. Marijuana helps stop seizures, it's completely irrelevant to the smoking. Talk to the doctor as to why it could be happening.

5. Holy shit are you kidding? My friend had a brain surgery and was required to stop smoking for some time after, like 2-4 weeks. Why would you smoke 8 hours after a brain surgery...like....???

6. A kid I know at my school was a major stoner until he had a similar tumor, his doctors told him not to smoke afterwards so he didn't. :D

7. Yeah, she should probably listen to her doctors.

...like are you kidding me.

8. Definitely not a doctor like these guys who are positive it's not smoking. I'd stay sober for a while after. Edibles might be ok but smoking can be rough on more than your lungs. 8 hours after is pretty quick.

9. #9 BadKittySmiles, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2012
    Considering that the poor thing had a tumor in her brain, benign or not, I think it's probably a bit difficult to connect anything she experiences for the next little while with cannabis... it also seems unlikely, where she appeared fine while the cannabinoids reacted at their height within her system, and it was only hours and hours later that she had trouble. In any case, unless it seems to help her for certain, it may be a good time for a total t-break, or maybe a good time to try weak edibles instead, to eliminate potential complications from smoking.

The reason people are supposed to stop smoking tobacco shortly before AND long after surgery, is because the nicotine especially when combined with the carcinogenic and acrid components specific to tobacco smoke, plus the carbon monoxide to a lesser extent, cuts off blood supply and delivery, and prevents healing.

There was a news article not long ago, discussing how plastic (or any) surgery and smoking tobacco are a BIG no-no.. for instance, women who get breast augmentation sometimes whether it's via the nipples or not, often LOSE their nipples to decay and tissue-death, if they smoke shortly before or within the first weeks or so after surgery!

Cannabis, even when smoked but particularly when eaten, is known to shorten recovery time and speed up the healing process, and the pace at which new healthy cells, can replace old, dead, or dying cells.

10. I didn't mean she should be smoking RIGHT NOW, I mean in a few weeks once everything has become more stable. She could be getting the seizures from something other than smoking, and to find out she needs to listen to the doctors.

11. Why are you asking a bunch of stoners about brain surgery?

12. This^

Ask the doctor. He won't arrest her for admitting to smoking herb.

Best wishes and good vibes to your friend tho :smoke:

13. I really would suggest not smoking a few days after surgery, because of the heavy medication they give you after such intense pain. Most painkillers when mixed with cannabis can make you feel VERY VERY sick, trust me i know :(

14. Idk if people are confused here, but regression of tumors is GOOD, and synthetic cannabinoids have been found to increase neurogenesis(brain cell production) in rats. Personally, I would smoke it up, but think about edibles and/or vape. Maybe she is feeling the effects of her brain being rebuilt and the new parts reacting to everyday BS/the hormones that stress releases that fuck with neurogenesis.

15. Only a few synthetic Cannabinoids are capable of growth of brain cells. The rest only downregulate CB receptors. Not trying to fight, I just wanted to clarify.

16. I've had 2 brain surgeries non tumor related. (scarring due to viral illness) I was having seizures which led me to the surgeries.

I was released from hospital 3 and 4 days after the surgery and went for the J's I had waiting for me pretty much as soon as I got home. Gave me better pain relief than the painkillers they prescribed. Pain was relieved, never had seizures during my highs and overall was left in a relaxed state.

Granted I have been smoking for a very, very long time but it helped me.

As far as your friend is concerned they should be talking to the doc about their recurring seizures and smoking the herb. The seizures MIGHT be from the herb but I think it is more likely because they just had surgery which in itself is a brain injury that is healing. Their neurons might be misfiring trying to find a "path" around the "damaged" area of the brain.

I'm no doc but have experience in the surgery and neurological damage area and when I have my now occasional seizures either me or my wife contact my neuro to let them know what is going on so they can either up my meds or be aware of my progress/regression for my next appointment.

Hope that helped a little. Oh and the others are right you should be talking to a doc about this and not a bunch of partakers in the herb LOL.

Peace

17. Thats why he asked a bunch of stoners about brain surgery, in case someone had experience... I would assume anyway.

18. True and I happen to have experience but for the most part you won't find many with the experience.

I would still talk to a doc if said friend is still suffering from seizures. They likely aren't MJ related but I'm no doc. My GUESS is brain damage

19. Your friend needs to speak with a level headed doctor that doesn't have a biased opinion and can let your friend know the results of smoking in that condition. Otherwise you will only be guessing

20. Agreed, kind of depends on the doc. If the doc is super against it, they will, tell you not to do it. If they are super for it, they will tell you its fine.. You need to ask one who is unbiased(good luck).