Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana addiction?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by noahr68, Oct 2, 2016.

1. What's y'all's thoughts? I've heard a lot of people say it's not a real thing, but I'm starting to be convinced that it is. I can't eat during a day until I've smoked weed first at least once since I've woken up. I can't get to sleep unless I've gotten sufficiently stoned, I've tried to go into my classes or work without blazing beforehand and I just had such a bad day that I haven't tried it again. I used to smoke a cigarette when I woke up in the mining, now I smoke a bowl first because I crave weed more than a cigarette.

Could this all be in my head, or am I actually on a level addicted to marijuana?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. #2 Sublime, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    Me personally, I am addicted. In my opinion, addiction is when you can't stop doing something even given a reason and would rather do that thing.

But this includes many life activities. Such as caffeine (to some, I don't rely on caffeine personally nor do I consume hardly any anymore), video games, TV, Facebook, junk food, fast food, writing, alcohol, heroin, whatever. Simply having an addiction in and of itself isn't necessarily bad.... But it's bad when you can't control it and when you'd do things you normally wouldn't for it. For example, selling things you value for it. Or making bad decisions for that thing.

I can't stop marijuana. Well, I don't want to and even given a reason, I don't want to. So yeah, I'm addicted, but so what? It doesn't affect my life much at all other than my financial status (which I'm planning on fixing by growing my own). I go to work and college (sober, I don't smoke before either, at all. It's good to have *some* sober time, so I make work and college that time. Not like I'd wanna be high then anyways), I don't slack off on work and college, I don't miss days over weed, and I'm 6 wks in my semester and haven't skipped a single class over it.

So, really, my marijuana addiction isn't harming anyone or even myself (maybe at worse some health problems from smoking too much, but I accept whatever comes) and it's certainly not hindering my ability to move forward. As long as that's not a problem, you should be good.

As far as "is it an addiction" - well, physically? It sounds like you are getting physically dependent on it, and it sounds like you smoke more than I do and I smoke quite heavily as it is. 2-3+ times a day, and I get stoned high each time. The worst that happens is you won't be able to sleep for like 3 days at worst. As far as appetite, that'll come back as well within 3 days normally if you stopped. Right now, I can stop and not worry about either. Mentally, it is addicting, no question about it. Anything at all can be mentally addicting. Even fishing, or reading a book. One thing I do experience is a little bit of anxiety in the mornings when I wake up without weed. That's as bad as it gets.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Being completely honest with myself, I am addicted. I go to work and to college and have a social life (though a very small one). I always go to my classes at least kinda high. I smoke like 4 or 5 times a day approximately. I'm not negatively affected by my smoking and nor is anybody else.

I know I'm addicted because I keep telling myself "I need to take a tolerance break." but I don't. I am not hurting financially, just tolerance-wise.

You sound like you are addicted, but like mentioned above if it isn't hurting you or people around you, it probably isn't a huge issue.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  4. People confuse that a lot I'm sure. People say "you can't get addicted to weed" which is part true and part false. You can develop a psychological addiction to weed, however it is impossible to become physically dependent on marijuana. It's entirely like cigarettes in a way, you will uncomfortable without using it, but you will not have the physical dependency you see with many other substances like alcohol for example.

• Like Like x 1
  5. #5 Sublime, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    There are some physical symptoms that can and do happen when you quite smoking cold turkey after being a heavy smoker. But like you said, they're absolutely nothing compared to alcohol. Like I said, your appetite may be lost for a few days and you may or may not have trouble sleeping for a few days. But in terms of feeling sick, you shouldn't.

6. I haven't smoked in nearly 3 weeks and I've never really considered myself 'addicted' but, I do think marijuana addiction exist. You basically can get addicted to anything, even masturbation.

My friend who smoked a lot of weed does really well in school but he suffered from lack of appetite and he can't sleep after he goes on T Breaks. So there is some symptoms but they go away

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  7. I've been through withdrawals from other substances.

In my opinion weed is habit forming but not addictive. I can smoke weed heavily for years at a time. Quit whenever I want. And the worst symptoms are boredom, lack of appetite, and maybe a little trouble sleeping. Overall i'll be fine. Just as productive as ever

With alcohol and other substances the withdrawal is hell. You get to the point where your body can't relax without that outside substance. And even though you can't relax you have no energy to do anything. Weed just seems super light in comparison.

8. Marijuana is definitely not addictive in the way amphetamines or other such substances are. It does not create a physical neurochemical dependance. It's more addictive in the way that videogames, masturbation and food can be addictive; psychologically. So yes, I think marijuana can be addictive, but marijuana addiction imo is not such a bad thing.
    There's pretty much no long term consequences on a cognitive level, and only the link between earlier schizophrenic episodes (in people with a prior predisposition) and cannabis use among teens hasn't really been explained yet. I personally don't worry about that though. Smoking daily has helped me on many levels and hasn't impacted my studying.

With marijuana it can be easy to tell yourself you need it. Smoking daily I should see myself as addicted, and I do, but whenever I go on (involuntary) t-breaks it's really not that bad. I'm glad when I can smoke again but it's definitely not like I need it to function.

9. I'm comfortable with the nutritional supplement that weed is. Use it every day the same way I eat food every day. I don't believe you can be addicted to something that is classified as made up. Cannabis is strong, but this marijuana propaganda crap needs to come to an end. This isn't 1947...

10. There's nothing wrong with an addiction until it negatively impacts your life. If you feel it's a crutch of you have become dependent. Decide whether it's worth continuing or not.

How can you tell me this plant is not good for me?