Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana Actually Bad For You?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Puff Da Herb, Jan 28, 2012.

1. So someone I know says marijuana is bad for your health. He says weed gives you side effects like tiredness, (which is true) harder to focus (which is true but I think its just harder to concentrate when your stoned, not a side effect) and unmotivated. He showed me government articles and stuff about side effects of weed.
    So my question to you guys is what should I say to him to convince him that weed is good. But even I think its bad..lol..well not bad but its definitely not good for your health either. I said that if weed has so many positive medicinal purposes and less side effects of prescription drugs, then how can it be bad for normal people to smoke too? Can't people who smoke it for medicinal purposes like me just smoke it to enjoy it? He is a pharmacist and he argues that weed only benefits patients and that to normal people, it can still give you some side effects.

2. The only thing that's actually bad about it is smoke in your lungs...and it doesn't even cause cancer. Just tell him his an idiot for dissing weed being that he probably drinks and alcohol is MUCH worse for you.

3. Tiredness? Don't munch out...

It's actually easier to focus when you're stoned.

and idk about you but I can spit freestyles when im high, sounds motivational to me

4. yea he says some pretty dumb arguments. hes like liberals want to legalize marijuana but they never talk about the health effects. hes like thc stays in your blood stream if your a regular user and shit like that and hes like since it stays in your blood stream it will always have some effect on you.
    some shit he says is true i dunno...like if you do have a fat sesh you usually burn out later, sometimes if i vape i feel more concentrated, but if i smoke i feel too fucked to concentrate
    he says some dumb shit like weed makes you high, so it has to have some effect on your brain, how can it not?
    i just need to prove him wrong haha

5. Bad for you compared to what?

Cigarettes? No

Alcohol? Also no.

6. marijuana has made some of the best experiences for me. it helps me focus more, and think about stuff i should think about more often. it helps me plan ahead and to be more positive. it may be unhealthy..but who doesnt do things that are bad for your health? mj is a gift.

7. Government articles? not credible
    Pharmacist? definitely not credible

8. It's a stupid argument dude. You have nothing to prove to him if he wants to be ignorant let him.

9. #9 sudo toke, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2012
    I'll just leave this here...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcoQyppcLmA"]Marijuana Good For You? JAMA Study on Pot[/ame]

In short, he's full of it. If you want a quick shutdown of his argument and an easy factoid, the famous Shafer Commission from the Nixon administration is one of the best. In short, Nixon started the thing with the whole point being they would reaffirm his feelings that marijuana was bad and justify his war on drugs. His own commission came back with the recommendation that it be removed from Schedule 1 status (essentially, legal to some extent) due to "no significant harm" to people. That's pretty damning when a governmental group appointed with the goal in mind of finding it harmful comes back and says we shouldn't be making this plant illegal, much less crack down.

Essentially, what health concerns there are aren't well studied. About the only thing I can think of off-hand (aside from concerns about the actual smoke if that's how you consume) is that it can affect blood pressure (low, not high), so sometimes patients with certain heart conditions may want to be cautious in their consumption.

As far as unmotivated, let him know we've had at least 3 Presidents admit to smoking pot at some point, with some debate over actual inhalation and enjoyment :p.

10. Just get him a nickel bag for his 13th birthday. That's all the argument you need.

11. well smoking anything is definatly not good for you but thats about the only harm that you get from smoking weed and thats if you smoke it. if you vape it on the other hand it is a different story

12. That's real.

13. The end of the argument is weed is not for everybody. Some people can maintain good grades, a good job, a "normal" life, other smokers are "burn outs" who have done nothing with their lives but get high everyday. It all depends on the person. THC can have affects on some people like myself, but that doesn't mean everyone.

14. Weed motivates the fuck out of me

15. [quote name='"purplemudkip"']Government articles? not credible
    Pharmacist? definitely not credible[/quote]

This.

LMAO at wonder years comment.
    I agree.

16. #16 adam1120, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2012
    He's probably a youngin at smokin after a few years u get past that shit. Focus? I need my meds to focus lol and only get get lazy if I can if not u gotta do shit.its life lol I'm not in med state but its the only thing that helps my back. I've tried many meds. And many therapist. And I love being high:D

17. then if you vape its not bad for your lungs, + i think vape high is alot easier to focus with and you burn out less

18. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57356379-10391704/is-smoking-marijuana-bad-for-your-lungs/
    Officially tested it does no bad to your lungs.
    For the un motivation? Ever since I've started smoking weed I've never been more motivated to make something of my life.
    Most of those side effects are when your stoned. Why don't they do those tests sober a couple days after you smoke. Then you will know the side effects.
    So I guess they say the side effects of drinking alcohol are dumb assness, a temper, and not being able to drive? This enrages me.

19. lets see. it wastes time. leads to association with less than savory people. costs a lot (but this can be fixed). sp said it best, it makes you okay with feeling bored. and its when you're bored you should be learning some new skill. haha

20. [quote name='"Puff Da Herb"']So someone I know says marijuana is bad for your health. He says weed gives you side effects like tiredness, (which is true) harder to focus (which is true but I think its just harder to concentrate when your stoned, not a side effect) and unmotivated. He showed me government articles and stuff about side effects of weed.
    So my question to you guys is what should I say to him to convince him that weed is good. But even I think its bad..lol..well not bad but its definitely not good for your health either. I said that if weed has so many positive medicinal purposes and less side effects of prescription drugs, then how can it be bad for normal people to smoke too? Can't people who smoke it for medicinal purposes like me just smoke it to enjoy it? He is a pharmacist and he argues that weed only benefits patients and that to normal people, it can still give you some side effects.[/quote]

Being tired isn't a bad side effect. It isn't bad for your health. In fact its extremely beneficial, many people use it to help them get to sleep. So many sleeping pills have terrible side effects, cannabis is an extremely effective one, without all those side effects or the risk of addiction.

Focus difficulties, and short term memory difficulties, only occur up to 24 hours after smoking, and aren't damaging or long term side effects. No health risk.

Tell him there aren't any health risks to cannabis. There are health risks of smoking of course, as there are smoking anything, but ask him to find a single health risk of vaporizing or edibles. There aren't any. It's a non addictive, impossible to overdose on, no side effect drug.