Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana, A Gateway Drug?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by SizurP, Aug 24, 2009.

1. We all heard it, Marijuana is a gateway drug. But why is it a gateway drug? I have theory of probably 90% if not more the cause of it being a gateway drug. Marijuana IS a gateway drug because ITS ILLEGAL! Figure, Your feelin down or you want to just get high but your at risk of getting a drug test or you arent able to smoke for whatever reasons, people will smell it whatever. Weed can stay in your system for a week when other drugs such as painkillers are discrete and will be out of your system in two days. So you start taking painkillers which get you hooked move to percs and then realize heroin gets you the same high for significantly less money. Thats theory one, my other theory is natural drug experimentation, marijuana is of course not a harmful drug so of course it would be your first drug to try. The others that follow are drugs like shrooms, you know non addictive "FUN" drugs. But i would say a big reason for RX drug abuse and addiction is simply because Marijuana is illegal. So just like the Prohibition of alcohol, instead of making society better it just made it worse. Goverment should not have any say in what we choose to do to ourselves, even if maarijuana was harmful i still dont believe they should have a say, if were free why arent we free to put whatever we want into our bodies, we arent infringing on anyone else's rights so naturally smoking should be a natural right. Thats just a few reasons i believe marijuana should be legal.

2. I would have to agree with this completely.

There is nothing inherent in marijuana that makes you move on to harder drugs when you smoke it, however i believe the fact that its illegal leads to other drug use.

I will use my experience as an example. I never smoked until I turned 18, and when I did, I fucking loved it. I felt as though I had been lied to my whole life. All I had ever heard was how bad marijuana was for you and all this other shit, and when it wasn't, it made me wonder what other drugs I had been lied to about. I had to experiment and see what else was out there.

So in that sense, I guess it was a gateway, but not because of marijuana, it was a gateway because of the LIES.

3. This is exactly how I felt.

4. Recent studies show that 90% of heroine users reported consuming burritos in the years leading up to their addiction. Therefore burritos are a gateway food.

Same thing with weed.

5. Yuppers, agreed with what's been mentioned. It's prohibition that pigeon holes it into the gateway drug category. When your told the first 18 yrs of your life how bad bud is only to find out how false this is, you start to question everything else you've been told about the other illegal substances, and it's because of this that people choose to go from MJ to other harder drugs.

6. Also the fact that since it's from the black market, your dealer is more likely to have other substances with him, or if he's out of weed he might be like "well I'm out, but I have some [x] if you want."

So it's a combination of the lies and the fact that black market vendors are already doing something illegal, so they have less reservations about selling other illegal things.

7. The only reason it's a gateway drug is because it's illegal. Many weed dealers also have connections to hard drugs so because of the fact that it's illegal you're exposed to other illegal stuff because you're already doing something illegal.

But also once I found out that weed was awesome and had very little if any health problems, I felt like I had been lied to so I wondered if the same would apply with the harder drugs.

8. +rep

sounds like my story..cept the age part :smoke:

9. even if its not addictive, think about all the people who have smoked weed first before other harder drugs

10. Dude, seriously. Stop with the Gateway threads. They are very, very, very, very, very common and ANNOYING. /thread

11. So did serial killers, BURRITOS MAKE YOU A HERION ADDICTED SERIAL KILLER!?!?!?!?

12. No lie...I was a heavy boozer/coca user before i became a 'heavy' cannabis user.

13. ok so i didnt read anythin posted before me sorry.. im just replyin..

but i would have to say YES marijuana is a gateway drug..

now now before you all flip shit on me hear me out. marijuana is a gateway drug because an ONLY because it is ILLEGAL! if you didnt have to deal with an around the same people that deal coke or harder drugs an could go to a liqour store an grab a legal bag. you would have no access to those other drugs unless you personally seeked them out yourself!!!!

Legalizing Marijuana.. The ANSWER to the gatway problem..

i coulda expanded on that sooo much more.. but im cookin dinner right now so i thought id get right to the point..
    plus its hot as shit haha..

14. damn OP my bad my dude.. i just read what you wrote an realized i pretty much said the same shit but in a much lazier way..

guess that just means we on the same page..

stay up^

15. Ok one of us is more stoned and whoever is more sober it will make sense or something

16. I would say alcohol is the true gateway drug. Mainly because it's legal.

When I was younger, I had very strong opinions against smoking weed or doing any other drugs. Then once I started going to parties and drinking, I realized it was all bs. So when my buddy offered to smoke me up I was more than willing.

I mean, I really can't see how someone would go straight to weed without drinking first.

17. I think there is some truth to it..Because some times when high I think " what do other things feel like" But I would never try anything elses...But I could see a weaker person succoming to it.

18. i smoked weed before i ever had a drop of alcohol my dude..

19. isn't the stat something like: 1 out of every 1000 pot smokers move on to try heroin. im pretty sure thats it.

I would say its definitely not a gateway drug for the reasons they always told us it was. Drug dealers having hard drug connections and having to find out for yourself are gateways, but not like they always told us.