Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

marijuana a gate way drug?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by lacrossestar, Jan 2, 2003.

?

marijuana a gateway drug and adictive

1. yes to both

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no to both

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. yes to gateway to no to addictive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. no to gate way but deffinatly addictive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. well in some aspects i think it is in others i dont but wat do you think?

2. personally, there's nothing more satisfying than a big skunk bong... other people find it hard to reach that level of satisfaction so they go onto other things i guess...? i reckon that if you're happy, then you'll never need to go too far with drugs.

everyone should smoke as much skunk as they can bear though...

3. i read somewhere that 75% of people who use marijuana never go on to harder drugs... and that alchohol is more of a gateway drug than marijuana is. i'm not too sure on how accurate that is though.

4. Caffiene is the biggest gateway drug!

Just think about it... if we hadn't drank that shit as kids we wouldn't have tried marijuana!

I dunno. I just don't like the gateway theory. I don't think I've ever said to myself: "Hey, self! We've had so much fun with this pot... I just gotta shoot up some heroin!"

But, if you live where it is illegal to smoke pot... you might wonder what else the gov't is lying about and try some cocaine.

5. Marijuanna is a gate way drug.. It opens the gate for spiritual enlightenment as well as a more satisfying sexual experiences!

6. yes and no to both kind of...

IF i had never done weed i would have never done percocet,I plan to do shrooms in the distant future...
    but just becuse you smoke up doesint mean you will do other drugs, as a matter of fact you probably wont.

addictive? chemichly studies show that VERY slight withdrawl occors if someone that smokes every day for a year stops.but it is less than caffine, much less. Also there is mental addiction, but i am not addicted in any way, i can and often do stop smoking for prolonged amounts of time.

its all in how you use it.
    its not harmless, but it is not really harmful ethier.

7. :hippie:

8. Thanks critter. lol

I went to google and searched for images using the word "marijuana". There were TONS of cool pictures like that but I had to reduce the pixels to get it to be accepted by the system.

It was either that or this one:

Attached Files:

9. Or this one! lol

Attached Files:

10. no its not a gateway drug .. just cause i smoke some erefer i aint ever gonna do harder drugs ... and yes it is very slightly addictive ... but not hard at all to quit ...

11. its not.. its been proven in studies over and over that marijuna is not a gateway drug.. theres no question

it is psychologically addictive, and sometimes mildly physically addictive. not anywhere near alchohol/caffiene though

12. Anything can by mentally addictive. I'm addicted to playing online games! ;>

13. i never feel any withdrawl to it even when i have to stop. and also the stepping stone theory has been disproved cause most people start using legal drugs like cigs caffiene and alcohol

14. I'd say a definite no to both.

If you smoke marijuana and then go on to coke or H, then that's all because you decided to. Not because of cannabis.

Similar answer for addiction. I don't believe that cannabis is physically addictive. But as Pyrite said, ANYTHING can be mentally addictive, and that's all down to the person and how strong their mind is. I've heard about that kid who killed himself because of EverQuest (online RPG, which I play) and I've known my friend Emma to get depressed when she doesn't eat chocolate for a while.

15. No and both for me as well.

You have to choose to do shit like crack etc.

:)

ick

16. amen ... me too ... i used to have a physical need to play counter-strike ... i used to play that thing like 5 hours a day ... and more when i had the time... i could play it up to 12 hours a day at some points... i've never been that addicted to anything else.. and now what... u gonna play online gamming illegal too?

17. There is no way pot is a gateway drug! I've been smokin for years now and the only other drug i've done is liguid X. I think that if someone wants to use drugs they will regardless of which they start out with!

18. that weed is addictive. it's only *pleasant*. and who amongst us do not want to feel *pleasant* most of the time...

19. Weed itself isn't a gateway drug, there's really no such thing. It's just that when some people smoke weed everyday it begins to feel normal, and then they say man this just isn't cutting it, let's do shrooms. Then lets do some acid. Then you get into college or whatever and people are offering pills which are just as bad as coke, etc. Then you try some ecstacy and that's cool. After they get tired of that they might decide to try coke. The gateway theory is really just boredom basically. Noone sitting around smoking weed jumps up and says "Hey, let's go try some heroin" or crack or whatever. There are a lot of things in between smoking weed and doing heroin. But before a person tries weed they usually try alcohol (which actually fucks you up more, but it's legal so not as "bad") or smoke cigarettes and whatnot.

20. I believe marijuana is a gateway drug precisely and only because it is illegal. When one tokes up for the first time, the descision is not only to smoke and get high but also to break a law. Once that psychological cherry is broken, there is no reversing it. When that someone encounters the next drug up the scale the threshold for making the descision is lowered because now the only difference is "what kind of high", the issue of legality has already been dealt with long ago over a joint.

As a way to test this, talk to someone who drinks moderately and smokes cigaretts but does not smoke weed. Ask them if weed were legal, would they try it?

While aspects of physical addiction are small, psychological addictive factors can be quite high. I personally feel the absence in the form of a temporary loss of appitite and slight irritability all of which are quite suppressable. I believe addiction requires a succeptability by the user first, for example, I bought my first pipe two weeks before I ever tried it. For this reason, it may not be addictive for many people and for the same reason does not become a gateway drug for the non succeptable types.

BTW, I am also addicted to food and water. Without it I feel sick and shaky