Margaret Thatcher is dead (My Tribute to Maggie)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Malvolio, Apr 8, 2013.

1. #1 Malvolio, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2013
    So... Maggie Thatcher died of a stroke this morning, prompting many comments of "good riddance" to appear on my facebook feed. Most of the ignorant swine barely have any idea who she is or what she stood for.

One of the greatest British Politicians of our generation:

[​IMG]

My opinion:

The last courageous British PM with the guts to get the job done.

She wasn't a slave to the media

She tried to reduce government and bureaucracy

She meddled in economics as little as possible

She fought the unions when they pushed us into recession and tried to destroy us with cost-push inflation

She nurtured our financial industry

She lowered taxes

I'm too stoned to write more, but you get the picture.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv5t6rC6yvg[/ame]

2. Good riddance, shes responsible for the murder of hundreds of Irish. She should of stood trial for war crimes.

3. I can't name a prime minister who dealt with the Irish question well, and who isn't responsible for the deaths of others. The only prime minister who truly dealt with the Irish problem is Tony Blair but he, also, is a war criminal.

4. What's the Irish question? I'm ignorant about UK politics.

5. Northern Irish independence from the UK. They now have a devolved parliament called the Irish assembly.

6. Woohoo! I'm fucking glad the old hag finally croaked! Time to celebrate..

7. #7 Vee, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2013
    Millions of UK jobs dead ?

Totally fucked up economic theories ?

Arrogant middle class ideals ?

..why Oh why couldn't the IRA put her down?

UK poll tax eventually ended her

UK prime minister 1979 -1990 and totally hated by Queen Liz 2nd

8. I've heard a lot of mixed things about Thatcher. To me she sounds like the British version of Ronald Reagan, which can either be good or bad depending on your viewpoints.

9. Damn, that bad? JK I don't know anything about Thatcher, Reagan was terribad though.

10. Foreign policy wise/military expenditures they seemed to be the same

At least she saved the UK from the Euro. I'd feel really bad for the UK had they adopted it.

11. Just read up on her a little bit. The comparison to Reagan is definitely appropriate, she even tried "supply-side" economics like Reagan. This is only rhetorical similarities though, I don't know what she actually did. Many of Reagan's "free market" accomplishments were just myth. If she actually carried them out successfully she's better than Reagan was.

12. Reagan and Thatcher mid 80's and thanks to the LA riots back then Ronny got the idea of """User Pays""""...Thatcher won yet another election on that, and rode the """User Pays""" to town, millions lost their jobs as a result, from civil servants to coal miners, doctors, nurses you name it, all to save Quids, that the UK govt. didn't actually have, and never will....lol
    The User Pays political idea, is still running in marginal democracies throughout the world, millions of people are still suffering, even now post 2007 crash and the corruption of the banks, eg Royal Bank Of Scotland etc etc...Fucked Idea

13. #13 Mozambiqua, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2013
    Glad to see the back of her - the UK has been in a downward spiral ever since she came into office

Let's not forget her close friendships with Pinochet and Jimmy Saville, as well as her efforts to keep apartheid in South Africa going and to keep Nelson Mandela in prison (it does feel like justice is served, however, seeing as Mandela has outlived her)

Hopefully now things will get better once the Conservatives get thrown into the dustbin of history in 2015

14. Did a little more reading. It seems she is definitely UK's Reagan. Talked a big free market game, but accomplished nothing.

Making Economic Sense

15. They didn't call her the 'Iron Lady' for nothing.
    She was a tough as an English Bulldog.

16. And how many innocents did the IRA blow up?
    Or don't you want to talk about that?

17. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcV4B-74pDk]Pink Floyd Pigs (three different ones) Animal - YouTube[/ame]

18. Margaret Thatcher was PM when the we were still in the Cold War. At least she had the nuts to stand up for what she believed in.

19. True... But who is occupying whose country? I think if the US was occupied, Americans would be blowing shit up and comitting acts of terror. Not excusing their behavior just saying the British Government caused this whole shit storm.

BTW Thatcher was just one of many British leaders that have been in power during Ireland's occupation.

20. Couldn't agree more, which is one reason Americans don't want to give up their arsenals. But the IRA was blowing up civilian targets inside England at supermarkets & such.
    Funny thing is when 9/11 happened they changed their tune & stopped that shit.
    Being Irish myself I always agreed their fighting the British military & using whatever means necessary to that end.
    But I draw the line at killing folks who have no skin in the game, innocents as it were.