Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

MAOI's and eating weed.

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Acid Raindrops, May 11, 2010.

1. #1 Acid Raindrops, May 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2010
    This might be the wrong forum, but as pandora's box has the thread approval thing now, I thought Id ask more experienced tokers.

I know people who do edible DMT, as in extracting DMT and mixing it with syrian rue to make ayahuasca. As DMT alone ate doesn't do anything, but when ingested with an MAOI it becomes active for some reason.

I have also heard people have taken syrian rue on mushrooms and it intenstified the trip. (but they are active orally anyway)

I come here asking WHY DMT becomes active orally when it's mixed with an MAOI, what does it change chemically for this to happen?

I am reading on wikipedia right now it says "MAOIs act by inhibiting the activity of monoamine oxidase, thus preventing the breakdown of monoamine neurotransmittersisoforms of monoamine oxidase, MAO-A and MAO-B. MAO-A preferentially deaminates serotonin, melatonin, epinephrinenorepinephrine. MAO-B preferentially deaminates phenylethylamine and trace amines. Dopamine is equally deaminated by both types. Many formulations have forms of fluoride attached to assist in permeating the and thereby increasing their availability. There are two and blood-brain barrier, which is suspected as a factor in pineal gland effects."

Which is odd because I have read in the past that dreams occur BECAUSE dmt is produced in trace amounts in the pineal gland, but it's only speculation.. maybe this is how this speculation came about? I guess I'm just rambling..

I would just like to know how it works, as I'm wondering if ingesting weed plain (without extracting with soluables), given that it's more weed, and taken with syrian rue would produce effects.

note: taking MAOI's with certain drugs, and even foods like cheese, red wine...etc. can be dangerous.

2. MAOI's have no potentiating effect on cannabinoids.

3. this should be moved to pandora's box

4. I'm not so sure since it was a question about cannabis and it's interaction with MAOI's.