Many Questions! Would appreciate your input!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by treetoker604, Jul 7, 2011.

1. I'm rather new to growing. Although I've been around a large number of grows, both indoor and out. But I'm ready to move onto my own project. I'm currently a college student and live 1 hour from the location I'm planning to grow in. So unfortunetly I will not be able to visit them often. My plan is to make a trip every 5-7 days.

One of my biggest questions is which method of growing should I go with for the most maintenance free/but also getting a decent yield with good turn around time. I've been around your basic soil grows and a variety of hydro operations.

The location that I've chosen to grow in is an insulated 8x8 out building. The two major disadvantages to this location is that there is no running water, and the only electricity comes from an all weather insulated extension cord. My plan is to run a hose to the building to fill 4+ sealed 55 gallon plastic water drums. From there I would store the drums under the tables I plan to grow on. Like I mentioned earlier I've been around grows for awhile and my plan is to line the walls with white mylar and also use that as my divider for my flowering room.

Now this leads to my watering concern. I was planning to do an operation similar to this Northern Farmer Stadium Grow , Vertical
    (obviously a much smaller operation) but with only allowing the plants to veg 2-4 weeks so they do not become too big. I'm hoping to have enough room to hold 20-30 flowering in 1-2 gallon pots and in a separate smaller section 30-40 cloning and veging. Are these size pots too small for only weekly watering? If so could I rig up a gravity fed drip of sorts and be okay using these size pots?

My current plans for lighting are very similar to these [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKFWr1fA8d0&feature=relmfu]YouTube - ‪CHEAP! HID / HPS / Metal Halide Grow Lights‬‏[/ame] They are 400 watt and I currently own 4 of them with the sockets removed from the ballasts and have the bulbs set to hang vertical. I've looked into buying an hps conversion grow lamp bulb which will allow me to to use an hps bulb on the mh ballast. Similar to this 360W Plantmaxâ„¢ HPS Conversion Bulb - Hydroponic Grow Lights . My main question is do you think I would be okay using only two of the lamps in a 4x6 stadium style grow? I'm concerned if I use anymore I will run risk of tripping the breaker with my fan and lights all connected to the same extension. I know they are only 400 watts but as I've mentioned and money is tight so for now this is my only option.

Just to sum it all up here are my main questions.

Questions:
    1. What growing method should I use that will be the most maintenance free and most forgiving for only weekly visits (I'm leaning towards soil, but am open to suggestions, maybe coco coir?)
    2. What pot size should I use. ( I would like to do a vertical bulb stadium style Sog method with a very short flower time so I was leaning towards 1-2 gallon pots, but I'm not sure if that is possible with only weekly visits for watering)
    3. Would it be smart to rig up a drip system of sorts? If so how many gallons of water would you think I would go through weekly in 1-2 gallon pots for roughly 20+ plants (This is the drip system I was currently looking at building http://forum.grasscity.com/outdoor-marijuana-growing/251520-oldporks-auto-watering-machine.html )
    4. Will 2 400watts be enough for 20+ plants in a indoor sog stadium style grow ( I know that it won't be perfect but I'm a college student so money is tight)

Thank you all so much for your time and any input/suggestions is greatly appreciated!