manual vs. automatic

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by SparkyHempster, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Fuck auto's, seriously though I hate the people who just think cars are A--->B machines. They're usually not paying attention to what they're doing with their 2 ton chunk of car because they can just punch the Go pedal and be off. I have never owned an auto and I never plan on it. In fact if you gave me a brand new 458 I'd rip that stupid flappy paddle shit out so fast it would make Ferrari's head spin. Manual all day, I'll take the traffic and all, its more fun and more controllable on every level.

I fucking hate American drivers is what I'm trying to say. Sucks for me I live in America.

2. Manuel is better but automatic is just easier.

3. If every area had perfect public transportation and all of the people who don't actually like driving used it, driving would be much funnier :D

4. Ive owned 4 cars, they all have been 5 speeds!

5. My old car was a 04 jeep liberty 5 speed and couldn't imagine driving a jeep auto

6. Sweet that you mention five speeds. I was talking to a friend about cars when I remembered that I've read that quite a few times. What's so bad about 6 gears? Or is there no way to have a proper transmission with six gears? :confused:

7. I hated manual when I first started, shit was awful and scary.

after a few months I got completely comfortable and now I would much rather have a manual.

just feels so....right. at the moment I'm driving an auto and it is so boring and lame!

8. I always juat assumed 6th was like a overdrive on a auto so id guess nothing? Could be wrong though

9. Nothings wrong with them at all. It just comes down to gear ratio/power and cost (six speed tranny cost more to produce).

10. Oh, ok that's what I thought, thanks bro ;)

11. Then there are the 10000 of people who call all manuals 5 speeds because till the last few years most cars had 4 speed autos or 5 speed manuals and for some reason they call all mnuals 5 speeds. 6 speed manuals are where its at, the extra gear really helps going 70+ on the highway. But the damn people who call the 6 speed manual in the car "a 5 speed" really grind my gears

12. Yeah they're great unless you don't have a naturally aspirated engine and have to deal with turbo lag.

13. What??

14. Shorter gear ratios

15. usually 5th in 5 speed and 5th in a 6 speed are very similar 6th is just extra overdrive for highway

16. Ladies love the stick.

How am I the first to say that?

17. Cause now a days its not just the ladies, and some of the ladies don't like the stick

18. Fair enough, but I'm to lazy to be specific.

19. i drove a stickshift 2002 civic for the longest time and i hated driving automaitcs. but i totalled my car and i got a good deal on an infinity auto/tiptronic. fair trade i guess but im gonna miss driving stickshift. semi auto is nevr gonna be the same compared to stickshift.

20. Manual/front-wheel drive car for snow, automatic for just general cruising. The car I currently own is a great little MPG friendly manual transmission. I can't drive old VW Beetles for shit though. The shifting pattern is diagonal! D: