Man kills two suspects - cleared of charges

Discussion in 'General' started by Demari, Jul 1, 2008.

1. if you guys remember a while back a guy in texas shot 2 burgular suspects dead.. yesterday they cleared him of his charges

i can't understand why anybody would want the death of 2 people on their conscience over some material posessions.. what is a life really worth?

do you guys agree with him being cleared?

i understand defending yourself and whatever, but i'm sure death could have been avoided in this case..
    edit- i think it was his neighbors house initially in the first place and he was already on the phone with police

sorry here's the link
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/06/30/burglary.shooting.ap/index.html

2. Oh yeah, I agree to the fullest.

You better believe if you're trying to break in my house or rob me, that I'm going to try and kill you.

It's as simple as that.

3. ....texas, what do you expect? Dont mess with Texas!
    as far as im concerned, if a robber comes into my house, im guessing hes armed given the nature of the crime, and if im goin down, some of yall goin down, cause im goin down poppin'

4. sorry i forgot the link, added it now
    he went out with his shotgun with the intent of catching and killing them, i believe they had a crowbar
    they were both also shot in the back

5. When this case originally came into the media spotlight, all sorts of handwringing "civil rights" groups decided to play the race-crime card. When that happens, justice has next to no chance of being served, so I was very relieved to see how this case turned out.

Though I'll concede that Horn was a little overzealous, let's imagine that the guys had broken in to find a sleeping 14 year old white girl. Anyone care to wager what would have happened then?

6. Break into my house, yes you WILL get shot, if death is the outcome so be it, it was your choice ultimately.

7. In hind sight, the guy should've just shot them both in the leg. But whatever..."don't mess with Texas".

8. when he shot them they were running away from him after trying to break into his neighbors house..

not everyone in our society could get away with doing that

9. as stated earlier dont mess w/ texas. if someone is breaking into my house i consider my life to be in danger who knows if they are armed they are afterall already breaking into a house why wouldnt they shoot me? so i might as well shoot them first but this guy may of taken it a little to far since it wasnt his house he could of shot them in the legs or something i guess

10. im all for fucking someone up if they are breakin in, but shooting them in the back when they are running away doesnt seem like he was protecting himself, others or his possesions. It seems to me like he just wanted to kill them (which could be a reasonable thought because he was probably too angry to make logical decisions). I don't think he should have been let off, but i'm from canada so this hardly ever happens here.

11. I have a similar story, happened right here in my town.

It's a pretty country place around here and all the old people are country as fuck and I dont know anyone who doesnt keep a rifle or shotgun loaded and within a short walks reach from them.

So, a few years ago these two guys had tried to come into this other man's house. They come up to his screen door and start threatening him and telling him to let them in or they're gonna kill him. First, they trespassed on his property and seeing as how his house was on a large plot of land they didnt end up at his doorstep on accident, and second, they threatened his life.

He grabs his shotgun and let two rip through the door and killed both of the guys outside of his house. He didn't get charged with murder in the least bit. Also, in the paper it had said something about it only took the jury 12 minutes to deliberate guilty/not guilty.

But to the point, I believe he was definitely in the right and the verdict was fair. That's why we have the 2nd amendment and the words Private and Property in our vocabulary.

12. Fleeing doesn't absolve them of the crime, or obvious criminal intent. If someone aims a gun at you, says, "I'm just kidding", and then puts it down, aren't you still going to feel threatened?

13. Compare that outcome to this case; this guy was woken in the middle of the night by someone breaking into his house, he shot at them as they broke down his front door and killed the cop that was kicking it down. Now they're prosecuting him to the fullest extent of the law.

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle_blog/2008/feb/04/a_cop_is_dead_because_an_informa
    http://www.myspace.com/ryan_frederick
    http://reason.wikia.com/wiki/Ryan_Frederick

I guess it's only justified if the person turns out to be a criminal even though there was no was of knowing when the shots were fired?

14. If someone want to take my possessions, for the most part that's fine with me. (unless it would be something of high sentimental value, but those things usually aren't expensive.)

But, if I have any sort of family or loved ones in my house when someone breaks in, I'm grabbing my P226 and holding ground and making sure everyone is safe, at least until the police show up or they confront me. I never read about the case before now, but if someone was running away, I definitely wouldn't have shot at them.

If I saw someone breaking into my neighbors house, and no violence was occurring I'd call the police and try to keep them there till the police showed up, I wouldn't run after them and shoot them.

Besides, the fact that he told the operator ahead of time that he was going to go outside and kill them with a shotgun shows he wasn't in real danger and he knew what he was doing.

Regardless of what I would've done though, those be the laws in Texas. According to their law he hasn't committed a crime. So yeah, he was cleared of the charges.

15. 1) He shot them in the back(they were running away, not attacking him).
    2) His life was not in imminent danger.
    3) It wasn't his house that was being robbed.
    4) He made the choice to confront the robbers, he could have stayed inside.
    5) The fact that they were illegal immigrants probably had something to do with the final court decision.

I like how his lawyers say he was in imminent danger and he was defending his life, then why were they shot in the back?

But it's true, it is Texas. Hell I've been in Idaho and you can practically shoot people for just coming on to your property. What did they expect?

16. Well put. We can also add that none of the robbers was armed and Mr. Horn saw no weapon. In defense of the burglars (though I do not condone the crime by any means), they intentionally chose a house they knew was not occupied (people were on vacation). Again, they did not have any intention of using violence as they had no weapon of any kind.

Mr. Horn, should have told them to stop and if they moved he would shoot them. Heck, even shoot them in the leg if you want; but you do not shoot two men in the back who are not threatening you. This is just sickening.

Again, different story if it happened to your own house, but he hardly even knew his neighbors.

17. Guy had a shotgun, lives in a really nice neighborhood, so he thought to himself "well since this may be my only chance to use this baby and get away with it, im just going to kill them"[serious]

I wish he had been thrown in jail for life...in a case where the burglers had a gun and they went into HIS house and threatened his life, that would be different. This guy just wanted to try out his shotgun

18. shooting them in the back is fucked up. he could have just shot them in the legs, it would have been just as effective, and nobody would be bitching.

19. According to the testimony, he announced to the 911 operator that he was going to go shoot them. Before he had confronted them. That shows criminal intent.

He could not at that time have said with any degree of certainty that these men were any threat, he was still in his own house. But he said he was going to go kill them.

And he did, despite the 911 operator advising him not to, and to wait for the police.

He's a premeditated murderer. Just because he's a rich redneck in a state that caters to rich rednecks, he gets away with it.

One mans burglar is another mans victim, but because he victimized immigrants, its OK?

No justice in texas.