Man Jailed 3 Months For Driving With Breath Mints

Discussion in 'General' started by kingspadebud420, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Mints Believed To Be Crack Land Man In Jail

August 19, 2009

KISSIMMEE, Fla.

-- A man is suing the Kissimmee Police Department for an arrest over mints. When officers pulled Donald May over for an expired tag, they thought the mints he was chewing were crack and arrested him.

May told Eyewitness News they wouldn't let him out of jail for three months until tests proved the so-called drugs were candy.

May said he was just minding his business, driving home from work, when a Kissimmee police officer pulled him over near 192.

"I don't know how it occurred," he said.

May was pulled over for an expired tag on his car. When the officer walked up to him, he noticed something white in May's mouth. May said it was breath mints, but the officer thought it was crack cocaine.

"He took them out of my mouth and put them in a baggy and locked me up [for] possession of cocaine and tampering with evidence," May explained.

The officer claimed he field-tested the evidence and it tested positive for drugs. The officer said he saw May buying drugs while he was stopped at an intersection. He also stated in his report May waived his Miranda rights and voluntarily admitted to buying drugs.

May said that never happened.

"My client never admitted he purchased crack cocaine. Why would he say that?" attorney Adam Sudbury said.

May was thrown in jail and was unable to bond out for three months. He didn't get out until he received a letter from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the State Attorney's Office that test results showed no drugs were found.

"While I was sitting in jail I lost my apartment. I lost everything," he said.

While May was behind bars, the Kissimmee Police Department towed his car and auctioned it off. He lost his job and was evicted. Now May is suing the city for false arrest and false imprisonment. He wants to be compensated for the loss of his car and job.

May's attorney and the city of Kissimmee discussed a possible settlement last year, but failed to reach an agreement.

Mints Believed To Be Crack Land Man In Jail - News Story - WFTV Orlando

2. Fuckin' cops. They're great for some situations, but not when they botch something this extreme... do people honestly chew crack rocks?

And then they attempt to play it off in order to embarrass themselves as little as possible, when they could have straight up admitted they were wrong, as many people often can be, as it is human nature to error.

3. Since when does anyone chew mints? Or crack? lol

4. I didn't read the link but that sounds like Smalltown, KS. A few years back when salvia was still legal they put this guy in county for weed pos. and then they went to court and they announced the charges and the test results and they kept him in jail until the 2nd appearance or trial and they knew it wasn't weed and it was his only charge.

5. HELL YEAH own the justice system for their mistakes with a huge lawsuit. I hope this man earns A GREAT DEAL of money.

Seriously, what is the point of the justice system when we have dumb cops running around like highschool bullies, blowing up everything out of proportion.

6. WOW I hope he cleans that fucking police department out, and if I was him I would get that fucking PIG fired.

7. Ohh this guy is going to be paid out the ass...and the cop may be fired...I mean, you don't just lie in a police report and walk away from that.