Man gets 30 days for growing 35 pot plants

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by tabou21, Feb 16, 2012.

1. in of all places IL. hes lucky he had no priors.

PEKIN, Ill. -

Timothy Latronico was looking at up to five years in prison after police found 35 marijuana plants growing in the basement of his Pekin home last July.

He was led away in custody Wednesday, but only for a 30-day jail term after he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge that replaced the Class 3 felony first lodged against him.

Latronico, 49, was scheduled Wednesday to argue through his attorney that police violated his constitutional rights when, acting on an anonymous tip, they entered his Pekin home and found the plants without first obtaining a court-issued search warrant.

He dropped his motion to suppress the evidence produced by that allegedly illegal search when the Tazewell County State's Attorney's Office replaced the felony charge of possessing 20 to 50 marijuana plants with the misdemeanor charge of possessing not more than five.

Latronico, who has no prior felony or misdemeanor convictions, also will pay a $1,000 fine under the plea agreement accepted by circuit Judge Scott Shore.

According to the motion to suppress the plants as evidence tainted by an illegal search, Pekin police acted on an anonymous tip when they entered Latronico's home at 709 Hillyer St. on July 24. That violated his rights against illegal search and seizure under the Fourth Amendment, the motion argued.

In his basement the officers found the plants, equipment used to grow them and drug paraphernalia, according to the felony charge.

Only after finding the plants, however, did officers notify an agent with the Peoria Multi-County Narcotics Enforcement Group (PMEG) and obtain a search warrant, according to the motion.

Because the motion was dropped as part of the plea agreement, no evidence or testimony was presented to support or dispute its claim of an illegal search.

link.....Man gets 30 days for growing pot plants - Pekin, IL - Pekin Daily Times

2. dumb ass cops. thats music to my ears thou. 30 days for 30 plants

3. lucky dude...

4. Damn, you know he was sweating bricks too! Lucky guy for sure; glad to see not EVERYONE is getting fucked for growing. I read somewhere it is punishable by death in some countries.

5. Nice now this is the kind of stories i like to hear. Anonymous tip what an asshole that person is.

6. You know whoever said something is going to see him in a month and be like :confused: The fuck?

7. Countries? Hell, they'll chop your head off for a gram a schwag in Oklahoma :eek: Well, not really, but shit they'd probably give you 20 to 30 years in some states.

8. Growing laws are fucked up i can smoke weed all i want and the cop can only slap me on the wrist say bad boy and fine me 100 bucks. But if i ever got caught growing id be so fucked.

9. Manufacturing vs. Consumption... think about it...

I don't agree with the laws, but cmon... use your head

10. haha hell yeah im from ok and cops and laws are INSANE when it comes to marijuana here

11. ORLY? caus every other place has it easy, like new jersey (HAKKBULLSHITCOUGH)

12. just... dont even compare that to Oklahoma..

13. Is it really necessary to include his address?

14. seriously what the fuck? is that not violating his rights once again??

:confused: :confused:

15. Wait they didn't have a warrant why did he plead guilty should it have been thrown out of court I thought that evidence isn't useful in court?

16. Haha I need to move to pekin

17. You get caught with 30 plants, and they offer you 30 days. What would you do?

18. [quote name='"FruitSnacks"']
    You get caught with 30 plants, and they offer you 30 days. What would you do?[/quote]

Um, when is ignoring my rights for a nice sentence a better plan? You they didn't a warrant throw it out IMO. I'd go down right or don't go down at all. Can't let them Babylon win.

19. Count your blessings.. In PR possession of any amount is insta-felony. :rolleyes:

20. lol there's a federal prison in Pekin