Man convicted of 2nd dregree murder for running

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by ScrappyDoo, Sep 29, 2011.

1. #1 ScrappyDoo, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2011
    Murder conviction in police officer's death goes to appeal | WWAY NewsChannel 3 | Wilmington NC News

Pierce was in possession, and made the poor decision to flee from police. During the pursuit, a box blew in front of a police cruiser while the officer was doing 100+ in a crown vic, the officer then made the poor decision to try and swerve around the box, causing him to loser control over his vehicle, and swerve into some nearby trees, resulting in his death.

Does anybody else see a problem with this man being convicted of murder because of the officer's poor decision?

Update: More details

The officer was never chasing the suspect, he was on his way to join the chase, doing 102mph.

2. Second degree MURDER for him just crashing?

If he didn't die, then yes, if he did, then it should have been manslaughter.

3. Wow..everytime a cop dies they ALWAYS seek the death penalty.

If the box missed the cop and a civilian crash then im sure they wouldnt push for the Death penalty.

Reasons like this are why i steered away from a criminal justice career.

4. He shouldn't be charged with anything more than what he was getting persued for and attempting to escape.

Murder? Fuck that...

5. Obviously the officer died =p

But I know better than to swerve the way he did at the speeds he was going, and I'm not a trained the way they are supposed to be.

IMO, the man running is no more responsible for the crash than the man who's address was on the box.

6. If that's not fucked up.. I don't know what is

7. what do you expect....the guy was a black criminal and a white cop died due to pursuing him.

of course there gonna push for the maximum punishment......dont forget this is america.
    im not suprised at all.

8. It's in our nature to run from the authority. It's in our BLOOD. Should this man be charged with murder for just going with his natural instincts? FUCK NO.

9. Its in our instincts to murder... rape, steal, etc... As an intelligent species we control ourselves to be a functioning part of a society.

Still though, this is absurd. The cop killed himself in the line of duty. Give him his respects, but don't charge the criminal with murder because he wasn't the brightest cop on the force.

10. He shouldn't be charged for it....manslaughter, MAYBE. But I have faith in the fact that the jury will hopefully find him innocent for the officer's death.

11. They always have to put a finger on a death. You have this man that is already considered a criminal for evading, why not tack on another few charges and kill him so that they feel at peace? It's disgusting. I hope he doesn't get convicted for that.

12. [quote name='"PurpleDelirium"']He shouldn't be charged for it....manslaughter, MAYBE. But I have faith in the fact that the jury will hopefully find him innocent for the officer's death.[/quote]

They're in North Carolina so I doubt it..

13. everyday i loose more hope for our society. :(

14. Here's the thing for me...

He's fleeing from police officers, probably speeding pretty fast. Say he fucks up, runs into a car and kills someone.
    What would he be charged with?

Whatever he would be charged with in that situation, is I think what they should charge him with for the police officers death.

Ya'll can say it wasn't his fault as much as you want, but he was the one fleeing from police, and he was the one endangering peoples lives. A cop (or, you know, a PERSON) happened to die in the aftermath.

I don't know if Murder 2 is an appropriate charge, but this guy definitely isn't totally innocent. Not anymore innocent than he'd be if he caused an accident and killed some innocent citizen who wasn't a police officer.

15. People should be held responsible for what happens, not what might of happened. That's just my opinion though. I can definitely see your point... He was endangering people's lives by fleeing from the police. People endanger people's lives every day though. Texting, drinking coffee, lighting/dropping cigarettes, etc... We all do stupid shit when we get into a car. Speeding is no different in my opinion. You don't charge people with murder when they text and drive because they "might" kill somebody. You charge them with manslaughter when they kill somebody as a result of their actions, not the potential result.

So in a way, the cop did die because this guy was fleeing... but still... Murder? That's way over the top, and it's ridiculous how we praise cops just because they're cops.

16. What a sad, sad world we live in but hey one guy died...maybe if we kill the the "murderer" then the world will be at peace again.

Just imagine what the dude who ran must feel like...we cannot let this happen. The officer is the one who dug is own grave with his driving miscalculation.:mad:

17. For fuck's sake how is it MURDER!? Manslaughter AT MOST!! This is just the fucking pigs out for blood.

18. the funny thing is that this isnt the first time something like this has happened in NC. about a year ago somethin very similar happened to someone i know. he was fleeing from the police on a street bike. somebody pulled out in front of the cop (they were drunk by the way) and the cop hit them and killed them. Now they're tryin to slap a bullshit murder charge on the guy. fucked up shit man

19. the only thing is this logic lacks consistency across the board.

20. I guess the word 'direct' would have come in handy in that post. Maybe wording my thoughts a little better as well...

The point is the cop made a poor judgement call. It could have just as easily happened when he was on his way to get some coffee...

The fact is when a cop dies people are out for blood... but a cop is just a person doing a job like anybody else.