Man and Consciousness makes its own universe

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by belovedabcs, Feb 15, 2014.

1. You won't understand he nature of sight through google or the words of a scientist.

2. #42 TinTizzy, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2014
    I think hes saying our time is only relevant to use because we measure it by orbiting around the sun based on our gravity...so if we were on a planet with 12 hr or 48 hour days we would measure duration differently...or if the gravity is different like in space where time dilation cause times to go slower and gps satalites actually have to change time based on it...I also always wondered how much of an affect our mass has of perceived time...as we get old time seems to "fly" compared to in elementary where a year took forever..i know its probably not connected but just something to think about

3. is time a byproduct of consciousness? or does it exist independently?

when you go out under anesthesia does time pass before you wake up?

how does time tie in to memory and language? they say goldfish only remember a few seconds, do they only ever experience three seconds of life?

4. Consciousness exists only as the progression time.

Consciousness is time in a sense. They are inextricably linked. You cannot have one without the other.

5. so, are time and memory all that consciousness is?

do we affect or only experience the universe without control?

do we really act, or only have memory of having acted?

6. No, but without those there is no consciousness.

We are conscious of two things that define our reality. Prior moments, with which we construct an understanding of reality, and a present moment in which we use this understanding of reality to create a new reality.

We both affect and experience the fruit of our affects.

As it is, our memories are stored in the physical vessel of the brain, without which we would exist without consciousness in the sense we have now.

Imagine being able to effect a change without having memory. The goldfish example is interesting.

It's not that we need a brain to have experience, we simply need a brain to have the experience that we are currently having as human beings.

An unconscious being is one that comes into existence with a preset way of interacting to stimulus of varying kinds. Meaning it can only behave in a single way with a particular stimulus, and has no conscious ability to control. We cannot say that it is unaware though, only that it has no memory.

• Like Like x 1
  7. good point. You blackout and you still act just not remember. but....if a blackout erased all prior conscious memory?

im finding it incredibly fun but impossible to try and conceptualize what that must be like.

8. We would essentially dissolve. We would become chaos. Randomness. We would have no way of measuring our own actions nor of understanding sensory perception. Unconsciousness is just ignorance, our inability to create a cohesive framework for our reality. We never die, just cease to be able measure our experience.

A molecule only has one way of interacting with a particular stimulus, it can never change, but, it is possible for molecules to interact in a very particular way with a particular molecule, and when these molecules come together out of chance, they create a complex system that is able to "learn". It becomes dynamic as it is a conglomerate of several dynamic parts that are able to interact with the world in different ways, yet they are joined, so their experience is shared for they all affect each other.

Consciousness is a result of simple systems coming together to create more complexity.

The cosmos itself is an inflexibly concept system that is conscious. Why? Because it itself is a brain. It is mind. As above, so below.

• Like Like x 1
  9. #49 Heroic Dose, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2014
    i agree with the bold completely, that is also how i view things/reality.

however, i disagree that the universe is conscious. i believe consciousness is a special arrangement of molecules capable of sensing, thought,memory, etc and that outside that is the regular stuff we interact with. i don't think a molecule arrangement of a rock is conscious. well, not necessarily anyway. it may be conscious. at this time i don't though.

fundamentally I maintain no solid belief system. pure agnostic if you will.

edit: i posted a few good lines from this thread on my fb wall, my dad recommend this book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0913546089
    tsk series by tarthang tulku. anybody here read it?

10. i've never believed that, kuz my son has 2 fish tanks and all you gotta do is walk up to them and the fish all come to the side ur on and more or less to the top because they know a person feeds them and their waiting to be fed...if they only remembered for 3 seconds. that would be a new experience everyday, not something they learn...

now back on topic for yall lol just wanted to say that

11. To the OP, to best sum up your OP, I would say that your essentially attempting to describe the infinite nature of everything...thats the short answer. 

Time is a man made measurement or concept and therefore can not exist without your witnessing of said creation.  Time is dependent of distance and measured by light, anything in motion thats measured against something not in motion actually travels through time relevant to each objects point of view.  Yes, time travel!  However, this is a very small fraction of time, but true nonetheless.  Go review Einsteins great equations, he was a gift to humanity!  We live in an electromagnetic time/space ever expanding, dualistic reality with 'light' being our universal reality or speed limit so to speak..  

If time didn't exist, then everything would happen all at once and there would be no learning from a 'past' experience to better your current or future experiences, no time to appreciate...just appreciation itself.  There would just be experience...a singularity.  Which is what you actually are in the first place...speaking metaphysically of course. 

Here:  this might help a bit:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB24FakYVmc

12. #52 Boats And Hoes, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2014

The ancient Hebrews, the learned elders of Zion, understood this concept very well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"The basic premise of alchemy is embodied in the saying: “As above, so below.” In other words humankind and the natural world are reflections of a pattern in the Divine world-”God made man in his own image.” Humans, it is held, belong to the material and the Divine world since they contain a spark of the universal spirit which at the original fall become imprisoned in matter. They also have an individual soul and a material body. In alchemical terms, the body, souls and spirit correspond to salt, sulphur, and mercury, which also represent three universal forces, the Trinity of Christian terminology and the three “Gunas” of the Hindus. By freeing their spirits from the bonds of matter, humans can once glimps again their lost divine perfection."

• Like Like x 1