~~Mama Pearl's Organic Multi Strain Grow~~

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by pearl75, Mar 22, 2012.

1. #41 OhioStateBuckeyes, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2012
    if you can find some nicely composted mulch, it is a great source of fungus for your plants.

i just took a 5 gallon bucket full of cedar mulch that has been sitting in a big pile for about a year and top dressed it on my plants. nothing too heavy but a decent amount. i took the mulch from about 2 feet deep into the pile......the top of the pile looked like white wood chips but the stuff i took was all grey with a green slimey looking stuff on it, as well as some yeller....a steaming pile of mulch.

just be careful of what mulch you use. lots of stuff from home depot or other big landscape companies contain the same stuff as miracle gro organics - composted human sewage. thats why some mulch can be really, really smelly.

plus some trees can be toxic to your precious plants - like black walnut.

edit: diseased trees for mulch is baaaaad.

i know where the tree used to stand & the chipper used to make my mulch :D . i know the guy that mulched it, too.

Second edit: I top dressed with plenty of EWCs and lobster compost before mulching

-OSUB

2. Happy 420, all my organic grow friends!! :hello:

[​IMG]

3. hey pearl

i just noticed you were thinking about the exhale CO2 bags - i wouldnt bother with them. they are designed to contribute CO2 through cellular respiration.....this is a good idea but in theory the amount of CO2 released from the bag will not be nearly enough to supply your plants.

i read somewhere on another forum that some guy tried putting 30 CO2 bags in a room with 4 lights (i believe, cant be sure).......he said that his CO2 tester barley recorded an increase from outside of the room to inside where the bags were.

ide go with compressed air CO2 if i were you.......dont buy Titan products, thats my personal preferance. i purchased a faulty CO2 compressed air regulator made by them, and out of stupidity i purchased their propane 4 burner unit to try to continue using CO2.....well the propane burner leaked propane. within 15 minutes my whole grow room reaked of propane and i had to cut it off. i could have blew up my house!

i even called their help line and left them a message to be contacted back.........never received a call back.

i will never buy a product with the name of "titan controls" on it again! i encourage everybody else to do the same!

-OSUB

4. I'll tack on to OSUB's points by recommending that you, Pearl, or anyone reading this who is thinking about CO2 supplementation first invest in some CO2 monitoring. See what your levels are now. There are some crappy test kits that involve breaking a glass tube and doing a one time test...I would avoid those. Get or borrow a real time CO2 meter. What I found when I went through this exercise was that I had really good, somewhat elevated levels in the grow area already. I think it's due to proximity to a natural gas water heater and furnace. I had already set my cabinet up so the hood ventilation could be isolated, thinking I would run CO2 tanks--but after seeing the ambient levels, I don't think the hassle and expense would be anywhere near worth it. So the one time cost of the data logger I bought saved me a lot of repeated costs of dealing with tanks and the like. :smoke:

5. word x 1,000,000

-OSUB

6. thanks for the shout out pearl! I make my tea with 3 gallons of water in a 5 gallon bucket and put about a cup of both humus and EWC and let it bubble with an airstone for two days then water the plants. they are super green and are loving it so far. You can get the airpump/stone and the tubing for it at most petstores and hydroponic stores. I noticed your plants leaves are pointing up a little, thats good right? i noticed mine started doing that when i switched to organics and a stronger light

7. Hey, Ayron, good to see you. :wave:
    Those pictures could have been taken shortly after the lights came back on. There may be other reasons, but I know that one reason why leaves point up like that is because they are "reaching" for light. Thanks for the tea recipe! I'm going to try to get the supplies for the brew tomorrow. Do you use molasses? I'm thinking of adding a couple of Tbls of molasses to my tea.

8. Definitely add some molasses if you're using the tea for vegging plants. It provides the necessary energy for the bacteria microbes to reproduce and flourish.

9. Morning, Mama Pearl... :wave:

Another reason leaves point up is good turgor, which is water pressure in the stems. It means the plant is transpiring properly, has enough moisture in the soil, and is drawing plenty of goodness up through the roots. In other words, it's a happy plant.

A loss of turgor means just the opposite and is a clear indicator that the plant needs watering, but it should not be confused with the symptoms of over-watering.

When the plant loses turgor due to a lack of water, then both the stems and the leaves will sag and look limp due to a lack of water pressure.

When a plant is over-watered, the stems will remain erect, but the leaf blades will curl downwards in a circle. The blades will flatten out, as opposed to the classic "V" shape of a healthy leaf, and the margins will tend to curl up slightly (unlike over-fertilization which will cause the margins to curl under as well). The longer the plant remains in an over-watered condition, the more circular in shape the leaves become.

Your girlz look happy and healthy. Keep up the good work!

See ya...

10. Thanks for all the info, pw, I'd never even heard the term turgor before. :)
    I ordered everything I need to build my brew bucket last night. It should all be here Wednesday. So I'll build the bucket Wednesday, and my brew should be ready right on schedule for their next watering on Friday evening. I can't wait! :hello:
    What I'm going to do is take some before/after shots. I'll take pics of my plants Wednesday, then take more pics a couple of days after they've been fed their first tea.

11. i don't only because i don't have any, but if i did i would use it :) what i've been loving about organics so far is how i've been measuring my nutrient recipes by the handful :wave: like one or two good handfuls of each in the bucket and i water a couple days later and repeat the process. In fact i've only given them plain water once or twice that i can remember, the 3 gallon pots i use only need to be watered every few days and i usually have more tea ready buy then

12. Hey Ms. Pearl,

Molasses is a good source of food for the bacterial to eat while multiplying in your brew. Just be sure it is the un-sulfured molasses or you could get into trouble adding additional sulfur to your soil.

My agronomist gal down in Auz thinks apple cider would make an even better food source for the bacteria, as it has a more complex sugar base and the bacteria would appreciate the lower PH as well. I plan on using it for my next brew, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Some people also use agave juice, although it may be a little harder to source, IDK.

See ya...

13. #53 pearl75, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
    Mine have had nothing but plain water up to this point, which is why I'm so excited to try out a simple tea. I'm hoping that the tea will cause my plants, especially the buds, to bulk up some. I'm using 3 gallon pots too since I'm only growing autos. My next grow will be the big girls! Those will go in 5 gallon smart pots.

14. Would agave juice and agave nectar be the same thing? Our local Walmart sells the same brand agave nectar as the health food stores. Our Walmart has started selling all kinds of neat things lately. They even carry coconut oil now. I plan on picking some of that up in a day or two to make some edibles I want to take with me to Memphis next weekend. Three days and nights of rock n roll, blues, Cajun cuisine, and ganja!! Oh, how I love Beale Street! :hippie:

15. Lobster compost...I think I remember reading only a little bit about it when I was *studying* for my organic grow. I bet that's some good stuff. Is it better than kelp meal, or is it about the same thing? OSUB, do you have a grow thread going somewhere? If so, I need to find it. :wave:

16. Hey Ms. Pearl,

I don't know the difference between agave juice and agave nectar. Just check to make sure there aren't any artificial ingredients that would choke the bacteria (if you can't pronounce it, it's probably bad), and no added sugars, unless it's a pure sugar source. Definitely don't want any aspertain or whatever artificial sweetener of the month "they" happen to be polluting our foods with. Pure product is best.

I'm brewing my bacteria tea as we speak, and will dose my girlz with it tomorrow night. :D

See ya...

17. I seem to recall that Lumperdawgz used to pronounce regularly on various brands of agave. Or maybe that was just the aloe. :confused_2: Possibly worth a search....

meanwhile, some lyrics that you probably already know

I've seen the lights of gay Broadway,
    Old Market Street down by the Frisco Bay,
    I've strolled the Prado, I've gambled on the Bourse
    The seven wonders of the world I've seen
    And many are the places I have been.
    Take my advice, folks and see Beale Street first.

You'll see pretty Browns in beautiful gowns,
    You'll see tailor mades and hand me, downs
    You'll meet honest men and pick-pockets skilled
    You'll find that bus'ness never closes till somebody gets killed.

You'll see Hog-Nose rest'rants and Chitlin' Cafes
    You'll see Jugs that tell of bygone days
    And places, once places, now just a sham,
    You'll see Golden Balls enough to pave the New Jerusalem.

If Beale Street could talk If Beale Street could talk,
    Married men would have to take their beds and walk
    Except one or two, who never drink booze
    And the blind man on the corner who sings the Beale Street Blues.

I'd rather be here, than any place I know
    I'd rather be here than any place I know
    It's going to take the Sergant For to make me go,

Goin' to the river, maybe, bye and bye
    Goin' to the river, and there's a reason why
    Because the rivers wet and Beale Streets done gone dry.

W.C. Handy (1917). Hey, who would care if Beale Street were dry, if they had enough canna caps with them? ;)

18. Good Morning Pearl,

The Lobster Compost product you speak of comes from Coast of Maine. It is called Quoddy Blend Lobster Compost. Here is a link. Quoddy Blend Lobster Compost If you would like a review/info from someone whom uses it then check with Jerry.

HTH

Have a great day.

MGB

19. Osub is busier than shit working with a million other people's plants, he doesn't have a thread because of the time expenditure needed. He posts on my thread sometimes, he's an Indy-head, midwest Indy to be specific....I want a nug :(

I use Dungeness Crab meal compost instead of the globster compost, I guess I depends on where you are at geographically.

20. #60 pearl75, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
    Well, I've had a little setback with my brew bucket. Everything came but the tubing. If the tubing doesn't arrive by this time tomorrow, I'm going to take a trip to the pet store and get it from there. When the tubing I ordered arrives, I'll just put it back for an extra. AS for the plants, all of them are still a nice vibrant green except for the Critical. The Critical has 3 solid yellow leaves on it now. They aren't brown or crispy at all, but very yellow. I will say, this plant is just about ready for harvest. I'd guess it has no more than 3 weeks to go. Would the leaves start turning this yellow with harvest time 3 weeks away?
    edit: In case it makes a difference, all the yellow leaves were around the middle of the plant.

Attached Files:

• 018.JPG
      018.JPG
      File size:
      187.9 KB
      Views:
    • 019.JPG
      019.JPG
      File size:
      156.6 KB
      Views:
    • 020.JPG