Malted barley

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Maine ahh, Jul 10, 2020.

1. I use malted barley as a set.shouldvi also grind up and top dress.orvis is that just redundant?

2. Sorry meant sst.

3. I grind to a powder and top dress, it's just easier. I did try some organic popcorn SST and also some rye SST. Didn't run enough cycles to determine any difference with those.

4. Funny you should post this when you did. I'm using malted barley flour for the very first time, lol. I've read good things about it so I thought I'd try it; 2Tblspn/5 gallon fabric pot. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. I don't think I would do both, but I also top dress ground up 6 row only. Couple small handfuls per pot, I'd guess close to a cup.

• Like Like x 1
  6. You want freshly ground malted barley, if you got the flour it loses its enzymes after a while.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Yes I definitely agree for the grinding in as you need it so you don't lose the enzyme value. Well thanks for the info.I think I'll just stick with the teas for this year and go to the top dress next year see if I see a difference in the two. Now here's one more question and sorry if it's a stupid one. During flower I use blue corn in a seed Sprout tea. But have to sprout that obviously because it's not malted. Now could I just Sprout that grind it up and top dress?

• Like Like x 1
  8. #8 Sc00byD00bie, Jul 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Yes you can, here is a post I have saved from Clackamas Coot on how he makes his SST:

Weigh out 2 oz. of Barley seed and remove any foreign matter by the seeds into a large jar and fill it half-way with water and agitate to wash the barley. Pour off loose husks & dirt that float to the top. Drain in acolander. Repeat until everything has been removed.
    Soak the seeds in water for 8 - 10 hours. Drain the seeds and weigh after completely draining the water off. Assuming you started with 56 grams, you want to hit a minimum of 84 grams at the end of these processes.
    Let the Barley rest for 8 - 10 hours and then soak for another 8 hours, drain and weigh. Repeat if necessary but that's not too likely.

Take a piece of cloth and you want to use something as 'raw' as possible like hemp cloth, organic cotton, linen, canvas, flax, etc. - just check with a large fabric store. If you buy a piece that is a square it probably helps or doesn't.
    Wet your cloth, wring out and fold it 2 times. During the rest cycles this is where you want to let
    the seeds rest. You want moisture surrounding the seeds but not water. Once you hit 84+ grams, spread your seeds again in the middle of this folded piece of fabric, place that in a brown paper bag - 55F - 65F ambient temperatures will move this along quickly.

When the shoots inside the seed have grown the length of the seed you're done. You're not growing sprouts but rather activating the enzymes and the compounds in the endosperm as described in the post above.
    Take these seeds and put them in a blender and some water and get it to a puree to the extent possible. Using 56 grams to start will give enough puree to make 5 gallons of tea. (or 1tbs/gallon)

Water your plants with this diluted tea
    -----------------------------------------------

Fulvic acid added to the 2nd and subsequent soaks in SST v2.0 does facilitate
    enzyme production in the endosperm. In artisan barley malting they also use two other
    materials - coconut water & kelp meal both for the Gibberellin (GAs) content.
    Any seeds will work just fine, no reason to use this or that or the other special seed for the
    purpose of "extracting" enzymes - whatever is organic and of easy access to your locale and
    price point.
    there are other specific attributes that puréed seeds can offer aside from the enzyme "boost" I
    go for weekly. And not necessarily specific to just the seeds but to the plant as a whole.

For example:
    Corn (non gmo!) for cytokinins - and this one may be specific to just the corn seed itself -
    CC/LD has tested this thoroughly with success, I haven't tried corn sprouts yet as I'm happy with
    results from coconut water (excellent source of cytokinins as well) and I'll never run out of
    barley seed DOH!
    Alfalfa - triacontanol - PGR
    Fenugreek - insecticidal properties (Nicotinic Acid - I believe?)
    Aside from the weekly IPM spray of Karanja/aloe/silica I've used soaked fenugreek sprouts
    alternated with cilantro teas as a base foliar for plants I've acquired that I knew had mites -
    they've never spread off those plants and were effectively eradicated, never had mites in the
    garden.

Cytokinin Functions
    A list of some of the known physiological effects caused by cytokinins are listed below.
    The response will vary depending on the type of cytokinin and plant species (Davies,
    1995; Mauseth, 1991; Raven, 1992; Salisbury and Ross, 1992).
    ● Stimulates cell division.
    ● Stimulates morphogenesis (shoot initiation/bud formation) in tissue culture.
    ● Stimulates the growth of lateral buds-release of apical dominance.
    ● Stimulates leaf expansion resulting from cell enlargement.
    ● May enhance stomatal opening in some species.
    ● Promotes the conversion of etioplasts into chloroplasts via stimulation of
    chlorophyll synthesis.

malted barley - best enzymes
    In my minimal research I found pilsner, distillers and wheat malt have the highest enzyme
    levels. Not sure which are available as organic, or if it makes much difference.
    by the way, when making a sprout tea do i need to remove the seed husks before i puree them?
    No need to remove anything, just sprout (about the length of the seed - not all the way out),
    puree, I strain it, and water. Add some aloe and silica if you have it available.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. You will have to dry it before you grind it up. I have done this by just placing the sprouts on a cookie sheet next to the heater blower for a day or two. I tried to grind it wet once and it made a paste that I am sure would attract pests. For corn I just sprout the seeds, then mix em up in the bender with a small amount of water. Then add more water, and water it in. The drying is just a pain in the ass.
    cheers
    os

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. I do the same as you do with popcorn and rye seed. The malted barley I get, I grind to powder and top dress. I like the fact it's less work.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. I actually gave up on using the corn teas. I haven't really noticed a down side to not using it. In fact I don't use any teas anymore at all. I just grind up malted barley and mix it with vmc and top dress. Doesn't get much easier. I am convinced that if everything in the soil is on point, teas just confuse the soil, microbe life, and the plant. Just water for me.
    cheers
    os

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Same here. I actually decided to grow the leftover organic popcorn this year, to pop and eat. I used up my rye seed baking bread this winter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. 6 row only?

You can use any malted grain in my experience. They all work. I brew beer and have lots on hand that I've tried with success.

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. 6 row contains more enzymes. But, 2 row will work fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. You can also use a food dehydrator to dry the sprouted teas.

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

If you feel like you must have cytokinins, you can skip the corn and water in the MBP with coconut water.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Ohh, I use six row because I had a ton leftover from my brewing days.

I just meant that's all I use. If I had 2 row, I'd use 2 row.

I have watched Os change and evolve with his methods, so I try and pay attention to how he's doing things now, and I do similar, if not exact.
    Why reinvent the wheel?

One difference, I still do a pair of alfalfa foliar sprays per grow. My control plant is visibly smaller with less branching last grow, and current grow. However these are f1 plants, and have so much genetic variability this is hardly scientific.
    It also gives me something to do. Water only can be a little boring
    :lmafoe:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2