Male vs Female growers?

Discussion in 'General' started by Misseerie, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Does it make a difference? I wonder why it seems to make one sometimes. Are men perceived differently for being into gardening? Women less likely to grow dank buds? Is there a grower stereotype? My random thoughts as I browse the forums.....

2. I think my grandma could grow some dank. Last harvest in her garden she pulled like 300 tomatoes and like 90 cucumbers

3. Women are usually the green thumbs, because it usually infers flowers and such which isnt considered a very manly hobby I guess haha. Anyone that takes the time to learn about the growing process of cannabis, and with enough patience will either do well or have the potential to be great at it. I imagine theres a lot more male growers out there but I dont think that means they are better or worse for the simple fact that they have numbers on their side.

I think in this case it wouldnt make any difference.

4. prolly more male growers due to the risk inolved in most places

5. #5 Misseerie, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
    Its amazing the variety of pot supporters out there so I wouldn't be surprised by much. I am sure that Grandma Dank is more common than we a consider. Not my granny personally.... thats just funny

I agree w/ParaBolTOOL, it doesn't matter either way

6. I've never grown pot but I grow some mean tomatoes, squash ect!

7. I Bet Bits Rule at Outdooor, but man got the Indor on lock, i cant picture a Lady doing all the ducting, mylar'n, fan instillation..wiring, MESSING WITH HID llights.....i dont know i bet its actually equal. if the person c a n g r o w t h e y c a n g r o w....sex doesnt matter unless your having it.

8. I don't think it matters but I do know most ppl I talk to don't take me serious until I show them what I've done or that i have some gardening skill. I started growing cannabis almost on accident... I started a hydroponic garden at work and everyone kept asking me did I learn it from growing weed... Lol some ppl couldn't accept that I'm this youngish :) guy who likes to garden. They just figured I must grow pot. I actually found my first seed and figured... Hell I wonder if I can germinate this... Fast forward I spend more time in my indoor garden than outdoor but would like the chance to grow cannabis outdoor...

9. i know some ladies who can grow so really good herb, man....some guys who can too.

more of an individual thing...

10. I think they grow the same but I know more male growers.

11. #11 Storm Crow, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2012
    DJ Short is generally considered an expert in all matters concerning cannabis growing.....

"Ganja Godesses

One of the things I learned a long time ago was that something more than genetics or biological environment plays a role in the desirability of herb. During the 70's and 80's, as the number of growers proliferated, it became apparent to those privy to the info that a grower's personal vibe somehow became part of the plant's vibe.

Generally speaking, mellow, laid-back growers tended to produce mellow, laid-back herb, whereas uptight, sinister growers tended to produce uptight, sinister herb. Perhaps it was just the vibe of the grower following the product to market expressing itself along the chain of trade, I am not certain, nor do I believe any form of scientific observation will ever confirm such a debate. It has simply been one of those givens in the trade. In that regard, I have further noticed that much of the finest domestic herb I've encountered was grown by women.

I used to call it the "Great Pumpkin" effect, but perhaps it is better termed the "Ganja Goddess" effect. The most sincere herbal patches being visited upon by the subtle and ethereal spirits of benevolence. And subtle is a very key word when considering the desirable characteristics of fine quality cannabis. Subtleties have a way of being very powerful, indeed. While we are considering such aesthetic topics let's have a look at femininity. It is, after all, the female plant we are primarily concerned with.

One of the most profound aspects of the cannabis experience for me is its ability to act as a counter-balance to my personal, male-dominance syndrome.

Cannabis allows me a reprieve from the otherwise distracting male-conditioned response of attempting to dominate my environment. My conditioning of aggressive competitiveness is temporarily quelled, and I am allowed to experience reality in a much more non-linear relationship. The routine desire to compete and conquer is replaced with a sense of cooperation and community. In a word, I have learned to become a feminist.

By "feminist" I mean the protected right to be feminine, cooperative, community-centered and globally concerned, able and free to discern subtleties, intuitive and submissive without the fear of dominator conquest and control. The fine quality cannabis experience allows me to better understand, accept, and serve fate.

One of the things I have learned about "us" (the cooperators) and "them" (the dominators) is that they need us much more than we need them. This is one fact that I wish very much for our community to realize. Toward realizing that end, I have found the finest quality cannabis to be an invaluable resource."

Nuff said! :smoke:

Granny :wave:

12. read something about that not too long ago....pretty good article and the author swore by it...called it cannabis karma or something like that.

anyway, for a while i thought perhaps there was something to it, because it seems when i smoke mexican weeds, shipped to us by violent gangs, i get soo freaking vengeful and pissed...but then thought perhaps it was the insectides they used so stopped smoking it.....it does not happen with any weed, (getting me pissed)except the stuff that comes in from mexico or grown by them...

13. I cant grow veggies for shit, bud otoh.......

14. I'm a horticulturalist and have worked at gardening stores and stuff, and generally male gardeners are not viewed any differently than female ones. The average guy that is into gardening is more chill and laid back in my opinion in comparison to those that aren't. Usually the first thing that comes to peoples mind when I mention I'm a horticulturalist, is oh you must grow weed. Which is true, so I don't mind people making that assumption.

As far as male growers compared to female growers, my college classes in the subject are generally 50/50 male and female, and the females aren't any better at it than the guys really. The girls do seem to have a lot more life experience growing up gardening than the guys, but just compared to the average guy. I was brought up in a family that did a lot of gardening and is made up of mostly females so there weren't really gender roles and the guys did gardening along with the girls. I could see how in general gardening isn't something that most guys do growing up so they might be less inclined to do gardening later, but its all relative and depends on the family.

Outside of the gardening community I would say that guys are generally looked down upon for being into gardening or that its not a manly thing to do. I think that's why most people make the assumption that the only reason you are into it because you're a pothead. I've never really known any female marijuana growers so I can't really say whether there's any difference in their ability to grow good bud, but from my experience with gardening in general I don't see why there would be any.

15. It's all up to the individual, gender issues entirely aside, it's up to the amount of time and effort they put into learning, and then into producing their crop/s. :)

Regardless the gender, the herb is only going to come out as well as their intentions (I love that post, Storm Crow!)... if a man or a woman is growing for other people or patients, and if they are proud of their work, and if they honestly want patients and users to have the very best and highest quality meds, then that grower will put in the exact same time and effort they would, for their own personal crops... while on the other hand, some folks don't really even put in the least bit of effort, even if they can very easily afford to do MUCH better, for their own personal smoke!

Some (heck, MANY) ladies certainly don't mind the technical side of things, and started off with their very first grows doing AMAZING work with ducting, home-made carbon filters, reflectivity and lining walls, building tanks/bubblers etc.

Some women are natural-born scientists and carpenters, just like some men... and conversely, we see plenty of threads where men grab random dirt they found in their driveway, put it in a cup without drainage, slap some tinfoil on their walls, find a three year old half-dead incandescent lamp and light bulb, and call it good (often, until their plants die :p ). But some women want it done as fast and easily, and with as little effort as possible too, and are just as guilty of the same laziness :p

In-person, working with a professional community, it seems like everyone works well together much more often, both male and female, and it's much more obvious that women growers are certainly equals to their male counterparts.

I understand why you wanted to ask, though. :)

It's generally much, much easier for men to fit in with the on-line crowd, and much, much more difficult for women. Many, even successful women growers have found that they have a hard time meshing-in with the online/anonymous community due to stereotyping, harassment, and belittling behavior and responses to their work. So they tend to be more private in response to that criticism and lack of support, I think.
    Some of the very top-most women growers have struggled to be taken even half as seriously online, as some of the most mediocre male growers.. they'll feel ignored, their advice won't be taken as seriously as a man with a smaller, much-less-healthy crop.

It's just human nature, from what I can tell. Some men are very supportive of women growers, and some men (and women!) are stuck in the 'old times', and think all ladies-work should start and end in someone's kitchen. :devious: :p And it's easier for people to be honest about their nasty or demeaning thoughts and beliefs, online, than in person.

According to the movies and popular culture, which can be just a bit inaccurate at times :)p), there just "aren't many women smokers" or growers.. not true at all!

The media generally promotes the idea that women 'frown upon cannabis' in general, what with movies and TV shows all too often focusing on, oh, let's say a girlfriend, who wants to make a guy quit smoking and growing his 'pot', otherwise, 'she won't date him'. :rolleyes:

They've caused a very warped perspective, by entirely neglecting all the lady cannabis enthusiasts, who need to work around all those stubborn non-canna males and boyfriends!

Male grower advice, even that given by those who are obviously not very experienced, seems to be taken with.. more 'confidence', by both male AND female growers, than advice provided by even the most experienced and successful female growers. Statistically, female grower advice will be dismissed faster than male grower advice.

For a long time I ignored the question when it came up, myself, and never mentioned one way or the other whether I was male or female, for similar reasons. :eek:
    It was actually nice just being an anonymous, gender-less face for a few years, and any time that the assumption I was a 'dude' relaxed folks enough (both men AND women) to learn and improve their grows, and edibles, I wasn't TOO offended. :D