Male Plants

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ADS36, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Im growing a plant and it turned out to be a male
    i was wondering does a male plant grow any bud
    and if not can you do anything with it

2. #2 KittyInACup619, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    yes, it does, however it will not be as potent as the female bud and will have a plethora of seeds. it will also make pollen, and anybody growing near you outside will fucking hate you.

3. #3 mortiis11, Aug 9, 2011
    Males dont produce buds atall thy produce pollen sacs that is it .. unless the male hermies and even thwn the plant would be prodomanantly male And poduce very little

4. #4 KittyInACup619, Aug 9, 2011
    well, then, I stand corrected.

5. A good male is about as stoney as his average sister. Males end up in brownies around here. But if you are out, males smoke way better than nothing!

6. #6 KittyInACup619, Aug 9, 2011
    soooo they do bud?

7. Male plants dont bud or produce flowers. Use them to make butter or brownies. I throw mine in the trash can. :D

8. #8 KittyInACup619, Aug 9, 2011
    but how can you use them to make that if they don't bud? isn't the bud what contains the thc and all that good stuff?

9. You use the leaves and stems. Here is a full blown male and they DO NOT produce flowers. Like i said i throw mine in the trash. :D

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. #10 KittyInACup619, Aug 9, 2011
    you can really make edibles with their stems and leaves?! :D

11. Yes thats what males are for. I just bin mine though as i have to many females. :D.

12. Let me know if you need any recipies for making hash edibles.

13. Kitty, the one thing you can say for sure about males is that they don't have seeds.

Technically, the male pollen sacs are its flowers. So yes they have flowers but not bud as we know it. I've never found males to be worth the effort to try to make hash or edibles.

14. Yes i go with that as good advice.
    :D

15. You just answered all my questions. (well all the basics at least) My 1 plant turned out male:(:(:(

Now I'm wondering how to make the edibles? Does anyone have a good recipe?

Also, should I let it mature more first because I don't see trichomes yet? (it just started flowering) and should the pollen sacks be included in the edibles or should I set them all aside for smoking?

In the mean time I may harvest the unopened flowers and see if I can get anything smokable. I've read of people getting high off them. Will report back...

16. Just to inform the public it works:smoke::smoke::smoke:

17. What....Shut up and stop spreading bull shit information to newbies :rolleyes:.:p

OP you can make hash from males but they DO NOT produce any bud all they do is produce pollen but you cant smoke that.

18. But you can smoke the unopened pollen sacks. Let it dry for a day and pack a bowl. Worked for me:D

19. #19 Storm Crow, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2011
    Males DO have THC and it's even in the pollen!

Flavonoid glycosides and cannabinoids from the pollen of Cannabis sativa L.
    (abst - 2005)
    Flavonoid glycosides and cannabinoids from the pol... [Phytochem Anal. 2005 Jan-Feb] - PubMed result

Abstract

Chemical investigation of the pollen grain collected from male plants of Cannabis sativa L. resulted in the isolation for the first time of two flavonol glycosides from the methanol extract, and the identification of 16 cannabinoids in the hexane extract. The two glycosides were identified as kaempferol 3-O-sophoroside and quercetin 3-O-sophoroside by spectroscopic methods including high-field two-dimensional NMR experiments. The characterisation of each cannabinoid was performed by GC-FID and GC-MS analyses and by comparison with both available reference cannabinoids and reported data. The identified cannabinoids were delta9-tetrahydrocannabiorcol, cannabidivarin, cannabicitran, delta9-tetrahydrocannabivarin, cannabicyclol, cannabidiol, cannabichromene, delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol, cannabigerol, cannabinol, dihydrocannabinol, cannabielsoin, 6a, 7, 10a-trihydroxytetrahydrocannabinol, 9, 10-epoxycannabitriol, 10-O-ethylcannabitriol, and 7, 8-dehydro-10-O-ethylcannabitriol.

So THC is in the pollen! And when it comes to, at least, the Morrocan strains-

Cultivation of Cannabis sativa L. in northern Morocco. (abst – 2005)
    Cultivation of Cannabis sativa L. in northern Moro... [Bull Narc. 2005] - PubMed result

The results show that the traditional areas of cannabis cultivation--Al Hoceima and Chefchaouen--produce cannabis with a higher delta-9-THC content than the Larache region. In addition, the present study establishes that male plants, often considered deficient in delta-9-THC, contain levels of the same order as those recorded for female plants, both in the leaves and in the tops.

These dudes were using gas chromatography coupled with mass spectrometry machines to find the exact amount of THC in each plant- not guessing! Males, at least from Morocco, according to scientific testing, are more stoney than most folks give them credit for!

This may not hold true for all strains, but it is wrong to say that all males are worthless!

I think we need to pay more attention to our males and breed them to be better quality! Imagine a strain where the sexes were equally stoney and then add in that gene that causes buds to form at the junction of the leaves (seen it on some Thai strains)- and we got a WINNER strain! Every plant harvestable and even the leaves are pretty fair smoke!

Granny :wave:

20. #20 KittyInACup619, Aug 19, 2011
    I think someone already corrected me if you opened your fucking eyes. kinda late, BRO.