Male or Female? (Pics)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by syntax, Oct 5, 2007.

1. I am a beginner as I am growing my first three plants. I was not trying to do anything extravagant or technical. My main idea was just to get a pot with some soil and a light and drop a seed in there and whatever happens happens. I did go a little beyond that and did my research on various things like fertilizer, lights, watering, temp, air, etc etc etc. I thought I was graced with 3 female plants because they were all showing pistils. However, I can't help but notice a strong resemblance to seeds on one of the plants. Or are they just the beginnings of buds? Take a look at these pictures and tell me what you think.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Thanks.

2. They all look female

3. (All three pics are from the one plant. I know the other two are female.)

Thanks for the opinion!

4. Will do. I have another question. All three of these plants are in 1 pot. It's a fairly big pot but I know it's a bad idea and in the future I wont do it again. Again, I wasn't expecting it to get to this point really. However, what is the best solution here? The last thing I want to do is mess with the soil, I know. Do I just chop it off at the root? Is there any way that I can get this thing somewhere else so I can let it finish growing without disturbing the soil? I have no problem trashing one plant to save two, but if I can use the one I'd like to.

Thanks for the replies.

-syn

5. Can you post a pic of the whole thing so we can see the plant and pot size?

How long have they been flowering for?
    /edit: checked hermie thread; 2 weeks.

Indoors or outdoors?

6. Aww man, I know I'm opening the doors for criticism now. I just want to remind everyone that this wan't a very controlled situation until recently. I believe the yellow leaves are caused by a lack of nitrogen so I've recently introduced some 5-1-1 Alaskan Fish Fertilizer to try and help that out. Anyways, this is only about the hermie! :p

Indoors and flowering for two weeks so far.

Here you go. It's the big one on the right. It used to be between the other two in size but shot up drastically. This picture was taken a week ago. The shortest one is a little over a foot tall.

Attached Files:

7. oh my god, that pot is barely big enough for one of those plants.

8. i know i know i know :p

9. Hokaay!

You have a few options:

• Chop the stem off just above the soil
    • Dig it out and repot without disturbing the females
    • Separate, and repot all 3

You mentioned that you'd like to keep the hermie, so the first option probably isn't the ideal solution. You'll need to keep it well away from your girls to avoid pollenation (we're talking separate rooms, and clothes changes between each).

The last option would be my preferred route (if it was possible), however; if you're inexperienced with rootballs or just generally slightly clumsy, there's a very good chance that you'll damage them enough to slow or stop growth, which wouldn't be the best idea during the flowering period.

Which leaves the second option. I think this is probably your best bet.
    Dig the hermie out with a small rootball, trying not to impact on the girls root systems too much, then repot it. The hermie will be at risk, but much less so the girls.

I was going to ask, but it's late here, and I need my bed, so whether you need them or not ;), here are my top tips for the job at hand:

Make sure you water the plants generously a few hours before you start messing about with them. Plants take up water through their roots, and when you chop a load of them off, it's going to need to live off it's reserves until enough new roots grow.

Get your new pot and soil ready, and water that soil generously too, then leave to drain for 15 minutes or so.

Loosen the soil around the hermies' stem, and gently move the topsoil to one side until you expose the top roots. Check that the main stem doesn't veer off toward the girls once it's underground, and dig around it if it does. Likewise, try not to cut thicker roots if theres a chance a gentle tug might free them.

If that pot is roughly 10" diameter, then I'd be looking at cutting out the hermie with 3" to 4" of dirt underneath it, to give it a chance of continued flower production, without causing the girls too much trauma. It's a judgement call really, how much do you want the hermie to survive?

When you put it in the new pot, fill up all the gaps with soil, and water it in well. Top up with soil if the level drops after watering.

The hermie may benefit from a few days of slightly decreased light intensity while it roots.

Gluck, and gnight.

:wave:

10. I went with option 2 and dug it out and repotted it outside. If it dies it dies. Not really concerned. Thanks for the help.