Male/Female seeds?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Brucio, Jan 2, 2010.

1. I could swear I saw a thread somewhere about determining the sex of seeds.
    Anyway, can seeds be male or female or are they all the same?
    If so, how do I tell the difference?

Thanks

2. To my knowledge there is no way to sex a seed. could be possible but from what i know. no you cant, yes the seeds can be male or female. read up on the forum. use grasscitys search or GOOGLE.

3. Gender in MJ is genetically predetermined. There is no way to visually identify a seed as male or female, you have to grow it out to find out.

4. what about feminizied seeds? is there actually any difference?

5. feminized just means that the plant is genetically female, but it's also proven to be unstable.

6. by unstable, we mean that it has a genetic ability to turn into a male anywhere throughout the grow. It can change (called a hermi) much easier due to environmental conditions like a light leak, stress, etc, whereas a normal seed has a much higher resilience to these traits.

So, a femmed seed will give you a female but there is no promise it will stay one.

7. Thanks guys! If im going to order seeds, i'll order feminizied for sure!

8. #9 LBH, Jan 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2010
    Not me,....ruined too many plants with those fuckers,lol Got 8 seeded up plants in my room right now because of a Greenhouse Seeds Church plant that hermi'd . Never again.

Clones are the way to go ;) Grow yourself a mother plant of something you like

9. In the "Growing Marijuana Torrent" available online there is a pdf document that at least gives this a try.

Their claim is that if the crater at the bottom of the seed (where it connected to the plant) is perfectly round then it is a female. Any deviation in shape and it is a male.

I tested this theory on my seed stock (about 400 seeds of G13 x Big Bud)

From 9 plants I got 6 males and 3 herms... So... yeah, I don't think it works.

10. Feminized seeds are great. They are created through one of several processes that ensure that the resulting seed is 100% female. However, there is no outward visual difference in such seeds.

When you buy femmed seeds from a reputable breeder you are getting a stable product that has been refined and tested. I use femmed seeds and have never had a hermie or a male from them.