Male/Female plants

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by franco2680, May 7, 2007.

1. I have about 15 plants growing which I will be putting outside the end of May. If a few come up as males should I just pull them out or can I move them away from the females and let them grow full term so that I will have seeds for next year? I hate to keep sending away for new seeds and cloning is not an issue because I'd have to keep the clones alive all winter in the house.

2. Yea, you can remove the males and collect the pollen for seed production. If you move them away outdoors, make sure their far away because the females can be pollinated by even a small amount of airborne pollen.
    I think it best to move the males indoors and keep them on a 12/12 cycle, collecting the pollen as it falls and either using it right away or freezing it (pollen can apparently be kept in the freezer for up to a month, although I've personaly never kept it that long).

If you need some tips on collecting and applying the pollen, feel free to ask.

Regards, Kaya

3. Why would he collect the pollen? You only do that if you want to make a female produce seeds.

If you keep the males away from the female plants, and allow them to grow alone they should produce seeds themselves.

Just moving them a few feet away from the female plot is not recommended though. The wind blowing the pollen can simply pollinate the female plants.

Make sure they are a good distances from the females.

Someone, please correct me if i'm wrong. I don't want to steer this guy in the wrong direction, i have never tried this personally. This is just want i know from research.

4. I do not believe that a male plant will just produce seeds if you leave if out for a long time. That just goes against biology.

The pollen from the male is like sperm and the ovule on the female plant contains the egg.

The egg on the female gets pollinated by the sperm or pollen (hahah facial). Then and only then will a seed be produced.

5. Ditto. I'm almost (key word there) 100% positive that the above statement is true.

6. So if I need seeds I have to seperate the male and place a female next to it, away from all the other plants. Right???
    The feedback I've been getting is so helpful and I think I read that you need a male and a female to produce seeds. The only thing I can't figure out is if you have a male plant, it has seeds growing out of it, so why do you have to waste a female and wind up with a female plant with buds full of seeds?
    :rolleyes:

7. Those "seeds" you speak of are pollen sacs and not seeds at all. When those pollen sacs open up out comes the pollen, and like I stated before if the pollen comes in contact with the female plant it will get pollinated and seeds will be produced.

There is however another way to get seeds, but that is when a female plant turns into a hermapherdite. Im not even going to get into that though.

8. move males far far far away, outdoors a female can be pollinated up to a 1/2 mile from the male keep males in another room or outside? but make sure there not incontact with the females.

9. My recommendation: kill all the males except one, and collect it's pollen. Then you can sprinkle it on smaller buds to produce some seeds, but only in a controlled area. So if you wanted some Sinsemilla and some seeds, you'd only put pollen on part of the plant.

10. Wow someone didn't pay attention in high school biology. Male plants have flowerpods, female plants have flower pods. When these open, the males release pollen(think of as sperm) and the females receive the pollen in their pods(egg). Then the females that have been pollinated produce seeds. Males do not produce seeds. Ever. Hermaphrodites will not pollinate themselves to create female seeds w/o your help, as the male and female pods do not open at same time(plants become hermaphroditic as a survival trait, a chance to send or receive pollen). Okay, now, to create feminized seeds, you separate a hermy, cut off its pollen sacs and then later paint the pollen in the sacs on the female buds. This plant has to be kept separate to self-pollinate. Now, what I suggest you do if you are an outdoor grower and want some seeds is: Take the males and separate them far away from females. When males look like their pollen sacs are just opening, cut off a few from the biggest male, then kill all the males. Put these sacs in your fridge. when your females are in bloom, do some pollen painting on one plant. I don't do this, I kill male plants, but do a search for exact times to do this on the site. That one plant should be the only one to produce seeds if kept separate as well. Then you have a few zips of sinsemilla bud(seedless) and an oz or two of bud with some seeds for next season. Have fun