Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Making Water Soluble Cannabis Edibles at Home

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Ringodog, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Yesterday's ride was pretty nice. The rosin and lecithin that I mixed last night has shown zero separation today. I'll do something with that later on.

My Tapioca Maltodextrin arrived today. WOW! What a difference. I'm not sure if it is because of what they are made from or if the 'fluffing' process is simply different but this tapioca malt is WAY fluffier than the stuff I was using. With the stuff I was using, 5 grams was less than a tablespoon. With this new stuff, it was FOUR tablespoons to hit 5 grams. 4x more volume per gram.

So, I repeated the former experiment. 1 gram of rosin + 5 grams (1 tsp) of coconut oil + 5 grams (about 4 tbsp) of tapioca maltodextrin. I just ate 2 grams. I'll eat the rest over the next few hours and report back.

• Like Like x 3
  2. You've got to be careful you don't sneeze or even breathe hard or else it will go everywhere. It will be interesting to hear of any differences in effects from the wheat. :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Hi guys, just finished reading the thread. Good stuff, good work, it was fun reading.

I ordered some tapioca maltodextrin. I'm in. :metal:

I'll keep watching the citric acid deal, but any thoughts of combining both techs? Using acid decarbed oil for the powdered mix. It seems like it might help the solubility, doubling up in a way.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Now that might be a good idea but I'm not sure how well the citric acid and vinegar would complement the oil. It could be interesting, though. That would be worth exploring if the tek works. I've heard varying things over the years. :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Another thing to think about, an enzyme ferment.

Not that I know if it would work, but lipase is an enzyme our body makes to break down fat/lipids. And its commercially available as a food supplement. I'm sure there are other enzymes that break down fats as well.

I use ground up malted barley, and a barley tea, to break down old roots in soil. It works very well on old soil and it's strong enough to use clearing ponds, not sure about oils though. And malted barley of course makes beer when yeast eats it, pisses alcohol and farts co2..

• Like Like x 2
  6. #46 MIW, Nov 30, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    So while waiting on maltodextrin I realized that I have everything I need to make citric acid hash.

I used 5.3 grams of sift hash, 1/2 tsp sunflower lecithin, 2 tsp citric acid and mushed it up with a mortice and pedistle, then added 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar.

It stayed fairly solid untill I added two more bottle cap fulls of vinegar. It becomes a mush. I continued mixing it, then it sat overnight.

Today I put it in the microwave for 15 seconds. Just enough to warm it. Then it rested on our water heater in a ceramic bowl for some gentle heat. It turned from a blond color to a milk chocolate color.

This afternoon I took a small portion of the now partly dry hash and dissolved it in water with a lemonade mix. It left a slight vinegar taste. No weed taste detected.

The effects started in roughly a half hour, and peaked at two hours. Not sure how long it will last. I still feel it, at now 4 hours from drinking it. It's about like smoking/vaping the same amount.

So it does dissolve in water, with some stirring, and it works reasonably well.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Excellent! I haven't been sure how to use it. Did you use dry or liquid sunflower lecithin? Are you going to see if it gets any darker? Whatever that means. :huh:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. I used dry sunflower lecithin. When it's crumbly dry I think I'm going to see if I get it to powder. Maybe on a plate and using a knife to bust it up.

I think a powder would be easier to measure and dissolve than a clump.

I don't plan on using it up quick so I'll report back to you on how dark it becomes.

For use I'll most likely use it in sugary drinks. The sugar should off set the acidity.

I'm hoping once it's dry the vinegar taste will disapate. Now you can smell vinegar fairly strong but less taste wise. I did add extra vinegar than what bad kitty called for, but I used a little more hash plus the powdered lecithin, so more was needed.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I am going to pull the fermenting experiment out, today. It's been a couple of weeks and I think any attenuation that's going to happen, has happened by now.

I don't see any reason to prime this or bottle it for conditioning. So, I am going to put it in a couple Ball jars and cold crash it until I can do something with it.

Unfortunately, I really have no way to test this. My tolerance issues make that impossible and since the Corona party started, I don't see any of my regular "edible friends". LOL

I may run down to Home Depot and get some HCl and some denatured alcohol. The Duquenois-Levin test is about the only thing I can think to try. It's not great with edibles but it does show the presence of THC.

I will taste it and try a glass or 2 for effect (if I can stand the taste). I'll report back later.
    Peace

• Like Like x 2
  10. Thanks for the update. How are your other experiments going?

I mixed up tapioca maltodextrin, coconut oil, 2 grams of rosin and about ten drops of sweet orange oil today.

I used volume instead of weight namely because my scales are in my grow room, and my room is in an outbuilding and I'm lazy, lol.

At 1/3 cup of the blended oils in one cup of the powder the mix seemed a bit too clumpy, so I added two additions of powder for approximately 1.5 cups of the powder total.

Then strained/sifted with a small collander. This was enough to fill a pint canning jar full.

I figured about 20mg per tsp. Then ate a heaping tsp. Sure enough I started feeling it in about ten minutes. Now at 45 minutes it's a stronger effect. Not super strong but nice, about what I expected at this dose.

On my other experiment with citric acid, my mix has sat on top of our water heater for a week or so. Today it seemed dry, so I used a mortice and pedistle to make a chunky powder. It was dried clumps. I'll try it later after a good test of the tapioca maltodextrin.

I did test it a couple times as it dried with pieces about the size bad kitty showed. It needs a lot of stirring to mix. In a small gatorade bottle it never completely disolved. I melted the last bit in my mouth. The effects we're a very pleasant buzz of 5-6 hours. Typical of another kind of medible for me.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Here is a shot of that rosin to which I added nothing but lecithin. The lecithin blended 100% and it made the rosin so easy to work with. Rosin usually fucking sticks to EVERYTHING (should use this shit as glue LOL) but after mixing with the lecithin, it was pourable and oily, not sticky. Very nice.
    11.jpg
    12.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  12. Here are some shots of the fermenting experiment. The yeast settled to the bottom nicely. The remaining crust on top seems to be the cocoa, mostly. There is definitely some oil stains on the glass but not much.

22.jpg
    23.jpg
    Here is what I got out of it. The prime stuff is pretty clean and clear. The second jar has some garbage floating on it.
    24.jpg
    The finished product is pretty clean and even when poured in the glass shows no oil slick. I will let it sit for a while.

25.jpg

26.jpg
    The taste is not bad at all. I can taste the alcohol. Very weak. Probably between 2% and 4% ABV. I can taste the cannabis but, very slightly. I can imagine this being used in a mixed drink. With some cranberry, pineapple or even ginger ale I don't think you would taste the alcohol or the cannabis.

The only question now is..... how strong is it? I need my testing panel. LOL

• Like Like x 3
  13. Well, I finally got some Hydrochloric Acid and I have been running some test. I was surprised how well the Duquenois test is working on edibles. I never had much luck in the past. I will post some shots later. I am also getting out the citric acid tests. Everything is as dry as the desert. The rosin didn't change much but the flower and the dry sift dried is as hard as a rock. I put some of each in water and it is definitely NOT water soluble. Was it supposed to be? I don't recall.

I am going to gobble up most of what is left and I'll start some new experiments later this week. I plan to brew the beer using rosin in the malt.

• Like Like x 3
  14. I was wondering how the citric acid project was going. I've been trying to find something that will work as a mortar and pestle with acid so that I can check it out. @MIW had some results on theirs. Between you and them all those scenarios from BKS has been tried except the ethanol one so I'm thinking along those lines. It would be a better extraction than the vinegar or water but if the hash is left in the final result then the extraction would be secondary to the decarb because you'd be ingesting the kief with the rest of it.

I have a friend who tried this a while ago and he liked it. He made some barbecue sauce with it. You could use it to infuse into other foods where you'd use a citric acid type ingredient, something the coarseness of the extraction wouldn't be a factor.

I'm starting a project on alcohol saturation using the same alcohol to wash 3 separate fresh batches of material the test that material to see how much, if any was left. Time to get out the TLC. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. @PsychedelicSam , I tried this and it worked pretty well. I took a small chunk of the flower. This stuff is rock hard. I put it between several layers of parchment paper and tapped it a few times with a standard hammer on the concrete floor. I did not stir it or anything. This is just one time, several light taps.

10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Here are some shots of the Duquenois tests on the edibles.

Left to right, Decarb'd flower, Flower (not decarb'd), Fermented caramels experiment, Plain Caramels used in the fermentation experiment, Maltodextrin with rosin.

2 Tests on each sample. One, pulling only clear liquid and the second, after shaking the sample.

Test results after 5 minutes and after 30 minutes.

1.jpg

2.jpg
    3.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  17. Just FYI, I tried one of the citric acid tests tonight. It was 1/2 gram of rosin. I added a tiny bit of coconut oil and lecithin to it and heated it to 170 for 10 minutes, stirring 2 or 3 times. Then, I mixed that with a small amount of the tapioca maltodextrin. Not even a teaspoon. Just enough to take it past the 'mud' stage. I sifted it and tasted it. Not bad. The cannabis taste was 100% gone. I could taste the sour citric acid taste but not too much. I decided to mix it with a dab of peanut butter and ate that.

That was 2 hours ago. It didn't hit me right away. About an hour after ingesting. Now, I can feel a little buzz but not a ton.

Just FYI. Sorry, I'm no good for testing. Half a gram of rosin and I have a "little buzz". And, that's probably from the 10 joints and bowls of hash I smoked today. LOL

• Like Like x 2
  18. Did you use chloroform, too? Isn't it a two stage test? It sure looks like you've got a pretty extensive work shop there. If I'm looking at it right it doesn't look like there was anything there with the caramel. Of course, the plain one would be clear. I've noticed with the TLC solvent I use that it didn't want to react with a syrup until the surfactant was added. Maybe something like that at play there. The others show infusion, though. :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. I took a heaping teaspoon of my powder a short while ago, about 100mg, and am starting to feel quite nice. I haven't used any in a while. I need to make more but can't decide what flavor I want to use. I want garlic butter but that has limited applications. Not sure I'd want garlic in my yogurt.

I'm working on an alcohol saturation project and I've dug out my TLC kit in the hopes I can learn something interesting. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  20. Ive just been eating my maltodextrin on a spoon, followed by a drink. There is a marijuana after taste astringency that a drink helps with. Last weekend I tried a heaping spoonful in hot coffee, it melted right away and didn't build up oil on the cup at all. I hid any taste with a shot of baileys, lol. hey its was the weekend and we don't have any creamers to flavor our coffee. Anyway it worked great that way, and the taste minus the baileys wasn't terrible.

The citric acid thing I made with vinegar came out rock hard. It took a week on our hot water heater to dry. (BTW I used sift hash.)Then I busted it up into a rough powdery granola like substance. It did not melt in water, just a pinch melted in my mouth tastes pretty acidic, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed the buzz. So I like the buzz but I haven't decided how to use it yet. Looking forward to see how Psam's alcohol deal does. I don't think ill do this again with vinegar, that, combined with the citric acid is a little too much imo.

• Like Like x 2