Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Making Tincture?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by 8ight, Nov 17, 2012.

1. So, I've been reading around a bit and have found pretty varied information about making tincture. I also watched this video: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dloPF1QDuw]How to Make Herbal Tinctures - YouTube[/ame]

Is that not the way to make a marijuana tincture? And how potent does this stuff get? Would I be taking a shot at a time? Or only a few drops?

Here's what I've currently got to work with:

26 grams vaped bud
    2 grams of stems
    6 grams of shake
    7 grams of old, forgotten bud (stored in a mason jar but still pretty dried out)

I have a coffee grinder (or don't I need to grind it?) and will pick up a taller mason jars to keep it in. What sort of alcohol do I want? In searching "marijuana tincture," everyone seems to be saying to get the highest proof possible. In the video, he recommends 100 proof.

And is the ratio in the video what I would use? fill halfway with marijuana and then fill to top with vodka?

2. I'm glad you asked those questions. To start, please check out my tincture thread that's in my signature. Feel free to ask any questions you may have. There are a number of members I've helped by pm also and currently know of three new ones trying it as we speak. There are other ways to make tincture but mine doesn't require cooking your pot and can be completed within 3 days. This will give you a potency of a few drops to no more than 1 dropper after reduction.

The supply you've listed is ideal for a tincture, especially one without heat. You won't need to decarb because all of your reefer is old enough to have naturally decarbed and the abv has already been decarbed by the vaporizer.

Use Everclear if you have access, or other similar brand with 95% or more alcohol. That will give you the highest extraction.

Don't grind your weed too fine. Hand grinder texture is perfect, joint rolling texture. If your shake or old buds have seeds and stems, remove them first. I would recommend using separate jars for the abv and the rest. The reason for that is that the abv taste can be nasty and there is no sense in combining until after the filtering.

If you want to use two jars, then put the 13g of shake and old bud in a pint mason jar and use 8oz of Everclear after each has been in the freezer for at least 24 hours separately. In another jar, freeze your abv for 24 hours in a pint jar, but only use 8oz of the cold alcohol when you mix them. Even though it's twice as much material, it's already had much of the thc removed and using less alcohol here will concentrate what's there to make a more potent product with less reduction at the final step. Don't use the stems you have for this because they're minimal use and like to poke through filters.

Using the measurements above and following my freezer procedure, you should get a total of a concentrated 8oz of each batch of each, for a grand total of 16oz of drop quality Gold Dragon. Of course, final results are dependent upon conditions at the time of processing and based on 2 runs for each batch.

There are a lot of different ways to make a Dragon. Check out my thread and decide for yourself. The recipe is on page 3 and the pictorial is on page 5 and there are other pictorials showing the different uses for that much GD, making edibles, honey, oils, etc. There are a lot of words, though, but that seems to be what I do best.:D

3. Anyone else prefer glycerin or glycol tinctures ?

4. To answer op, yes, it should work, bec. something similar worked for me.

I was even less precise. Each day I dumped the vape collected into a mason jar 1/2 full of 155 proof Everclear, until the vape came 1/4 up the jar. I let it sit for another month, filtered and then reduced by half using hot water bath. (open jar in pan of hot water).

It was effective, a only a tsp or two, but I find the effect kicks in quickly, but disperses quickly as well, and quicker than edible medibles. Like how the effects of alcohol disappate in an hour or so.

Just an observation.